mrmat25

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Pit Crew
crxracer98328's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: tacoma

I Ride: kx450f
picking out a new helmet
trying to figure out what mx helmet to get. I know shoei and arai have good reviews but what about troy lee designs, fox V4s, or suomy helmets. i dont care about the price because its protecting me from death. i just want to hear what people think about there helmets and what they recommend. i have a Fox V2 right now that i like but i have it for a while and are looking to upgrade.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by crxracer98328; 09-21-2012 at 11:26 AM..
 

Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Newbie
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: tacoma

I Ride: fjr 1300
new helmet
The most important thing about buying a helmet is the fit---go to a shop and don't just try it on, but wear it around for a while. Sounds like you are going to buy a quality helmet, but they all fit differently. I love my Arai RXQ,but it took some time to find the best fit for me.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Railer
WaGigKPN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Gig Harbor, WA
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: 2000 BRP (XR650R)
Personally i think the Icon Variant is the best for around here. The Visor would be excellent for keeping sun out of your eyes and also rain at slower speeds (traffic?) Also the visibility i hear is fantastic (I feel that is one of the top safety features of any helmet). It is also freakishly light (tried one on). That's important for if your in a crash because its less weight on your neck. I also hear it is pretty quiet at speed.

It looks great too!

I want one...

Start ICON haters...GO


__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Chicken Strips
LSeca's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Puyallup

I Ride: '08 1098, '12 300 xcw, '12 RMZ 450
CJ, if you like the fit of Fox, Hinshaws had the new carbon fiber V4 on sale as of yesterday. They were going for around 400 bucks, decent deal and I could not find better online. Red/black and white/black color ways. Really light, very nice interior and finish. I thought they fit like the Arai vx, chinbar close and tight. Shoei fits me best and has a more extended and roomy front.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Race Qualifier
blueline15's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Where the snow falls
Blog Entries: 3

I Ride: one with two wheels
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Snomofo View Post
The most important thing about buying a helmet is the fit---go to a shop and don't just try it on, but wear it around for a while. Sounds like you are going to buy a quality helmet, but they all fit differently. I love my Arai RXQ,but it took some time to find the best fit for me.
Pretty much this.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by WaGigKPN View Post
Personally i think the Icon Variant is the best for around here. The Visor would be excellent for keeping sun out of your eyes and also rain at slower speeds (traffic?) Also the visibility i hear is fantastic (I feel that is one of the top safety features of any helmet). It is also freakishly light (tried one on). That's important for if your in a crash because its less weight on your neck. I also hear it is pretty quiet at speed.

It looks great too!

I want one...

Start ICON haters...GO

So you're giving advice on a helmet you think is the best based what you have heard? And tried on once?

He is asking about MX helmets, and you mention traffic?

This is the type of fantastic advice pnwr is know for.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Railer
WaGigKPN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Gig Harbor, WA
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: 2000 BRP (XR650R)
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
Pretty much this.



So you're giving advice on a helmet you think is the best based what you have heard? And tried on once?

He is asking about MX helmets, and you mention traffic?

This is the type of fantastic advice pnwr is know for.
I have done lots of research on this helmet so i figured i could give the op my opinion on what i have learned. just a fellow PNWR helping another out...

Didn't realize he is looking for an MX helmet, my bad.

Thanks for bashing tho...looks like you got that super hero "im on an internet forum" gene!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Chicken Strips
Solow89's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Was Silverdale,WA now in CT

I Ride: '14 DRZ400SM , '08 ZX-6R
look on sharp helmet reviews

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Race Qualifier
blueline15's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Where the snow falls
Blog Entries: 3

I Ride: one with two wheels
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by WaGigKPN View Post
I have done lots of research on this helmet so i figured i could give the op my opinion on what i have learned. just a fellow PNWR helping another out...

Didn't realize he is looking for an MX helmet, my bad.

Thanks for bashing tho...looks like you got that super hero "im on an internet forum" gene!
Wasn't bashing you. Just calling you out. Has nothing to do with "you".

Citing your sources would have been more helpful then "I heard".

Anyway, enough of this conversation here. We can take it to the open forum, or you can pm me, which I'll still post in the open forum if you have anything else to say.

Have a good weekend.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Novice Racer
mnewell's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
From: Jacinto

I Ride: Aprilia Mille R, Gixxer 600, Yamaha WR250, Yamaha TTR125
Considering how many times I crash in the dirt or drop my helmet, I'm hesitant on spending big bucks on an Arai/Shoei dirt lid. For my dirt lids I prefer to find something that fits well, is safety certified, and costs less than $200.

For the street/track, I will always rock an Arai.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Novice Racer
coastiepete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
From: Youngstown NY

I Ride: Speed Triple, GS750, KX 500, 450 EXC-R, KH400, MXZ 700 Renegade
If you ARE talking about dirt helmets, i freaking LOVE the TLD helmet i got from a member here. it is SOOOO much lighter than the KBC, HJC, or THOR helmets i have been using. It's just so light, it makes my riding so much more enjoyable. my neck doesn't get tired anymore. I think it's the SE model......it's awesome.

I know the other top brands have big followers, but i have not tried the dirt versions from them.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Pit Crew
crxracer98328's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: tacoma

I Ride: kx450f
i was looking at Suomy MR jump or Fox V4. i like to try stuff that others may stay away from. having owned a Fox before it is easy to go back. at the same time the saftey rating and weight of the suomy kind of draw me in like a moth to a bug zapper.


__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by crxracer98328; 09-21-2012 at 02:13 PM..
 
Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Chicken Strips
LSeca's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Puyallup

I Ride: '08 1098, '12 300 xcw, '12 RMZ 450
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by coastiepete View Post
If you ARE talking about dirt helmets, i freaking LOVE the TLD helmet i got from a member here. it is SOOOO much lighter than the KBC, HJC, or THOR helmets i have been using. It's just so light, it makes my riding so much more enjoyable. my neck doesn't get tired anymore. I think it's the SE model......it's awesome.

I know the other top brands have big followers, but i have not tried the dirt versions from them.
You got that from me Pete, it is a great lid. I had to let you have it as it deserves to go fast with you and not be used as a dirt scoop with me.

Hope all is well with you and Blue back east.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Chicken Strips
LSeca's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Puyallup

I Ride: '08 1098, '12 300 xcw, '12 RMZ 450
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by crxracer98328 View Post
i was looking at Suomy MR jump or Fox V4. i like to try stuff that others may stay away from. having owned a Fox before it is easy to go back. at the same time the saftey rating and weight of the suomy kind of draw me in like a moth to a bug zapper.
AGV bud, I have not seen anyone with one like mine. Badass looking and light too.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
Permit
D1ssent1ent01's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: So. OR

I Ride: 2006 CBR 1000rr / 2006 CRF450r / LTR450
IMHO you can not beat the Shoei VFX-W.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Novice Racer
coastiepete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
From: Youngstown NY

I Ride: Speed Triple, GS750, KX 500, 450 EXC-R, KH400, MXZ 700 Renegade
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by LSeca View Post
You got that from me Pete, it is a great lid. I had to let you have it as it deserves to go fast with you and not be used as a dirt scoop with me.

Hope all is well with you and Blue back east.
Yessir, i did. We are doing well, thanks for asking. Sandi is actually back in PA until late October for her Acctg firm. I'm a little jealous, wish i could hit some WA ORV parks!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Chicken Strips
 
Joined: Jul 2006
From: Granite Falls, Wa

I Ride: 09 Husky WR165, 07 YZ250
Airoh ftw

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
Pit Crew
crxracer98328's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: tacoma

I Ride: kx450f
just purchased the Suomy Mr Jump Monster edition pictured above!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
Railer
mcjunky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
From: spokane

I Ride: Mille, kx250, kx500 SM, rd400, yz450
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by D1ssent1ent01 View Post
IMHO you can not beat the Shoei VFX-W.
Love mine, spent 4 hours in it today!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Chicken Strips
rolandk's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
From: Portland, Oregon USA

I Ride: '06 GSX-R750, '09 CRF450R, '97 Banshee
Arai VX Pro is my all-time favorite dirt helmet. Perfect fit, light as a feather, excellent ventillation, easy to take the insides out to wash. Currently have a Shoei VFX-W, great helmet but not quite up to the Arai standards.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
Novice Racer
Sentor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
From: Beaverton, OR

I Ride: 2008 R6 Race Bike - #52 - And whatever's in the shop!
I just bought a One Trooper 2 helmet.

From this guy:

I wore my trooper 1 helmet for a long time, and hit it many times. I rode with the trooper 2 helmet Saturday, and I could barely tell it was there. The Large fits tighter than most companies streetbike large.

http://myworld.ebay.com/helmetaccess...84.m1497.l2754

edit: (ah, he had a ton of trooper 2's the other day. Looks like he has a large and a medium left.)

edit2: I love the look of that suomy!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Sentor; 09-23-2012 at 07:22 PM..
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Adventure Time


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed