Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Peg Dragger
jonnyb347's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Gresham, OR

I Ride: 2005 Kawasaki 636
Leaking oil now too?
I've still yet to solve why my bike overheats, i've flushed the system with vinegar multiple times, check thermostat, put on new radiator cap, bled the lines, water pump fins looks good and water moves through radiator when bike is moving.

still have a code 34(exhaust servo, which is taken off now). Servo buddy is on the way.

i see this beneath my bike now, looks like oil coming from a wire hole above the waterpump, and on the oil pan you can see lots of buildup, and there was a fresh drop of oil on the bolt.

I am too broke for a mechanic, and this is my only transportation. Bike has 30k miles. Why would it be leaking oil? running lean/rich? that attribute the code 34 and overheating too?




__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
Two questions for you.

First, have you removed or replaced the thermostat? Checking it may be inconclusive.

Second, have you verified cooling fan operation?

Third, got some time this week/weekend I could help you with it?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Peg Dragger
jonnyb347's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Gresham, OR

I Ride: 2005 Kawasaki 636
I have removed the thermostat to test it, i broke the housing and had to buy a new one. and didn't have a gasket so I used silicone gasket stuff around the old gasket.

fan works right at 210.

all i have is free time, no job.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
So there is no thermostat in there at all now? Or is the old one in there?

For clarification, the fan kicks on and the temp still goes up? To what temp?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Bat Crazed
Jims08Z06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: WA
First I would take RedKat up on his offer. Second get a new thermostat I'm not going to explain. Next check the condition of your radiator, when was the last time you flushed out the bugs and road debris. If your riding year round, one picks up tons of junk which would decrease the cooling ability. Modern engines run hotter, my fans don't come on until 217 degrees. But when moving even on a 90 degree day the motor runs at about 190. One can also add "Water Wetter" I use Royal Purple, which will reduce temps a few degrees. It's difficult to help much when one cannot have a hands on inspection...AJ

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
I filled my system with Engine Ice after a complete flush. Made a WORLD of difference but it sounds like this dood has bigger issues.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
On second thought, it may be easier if I come to you. Do you have some place to work and a decent assortment of tools??

I live off exit 6 on I5...might be a stretch to get here. Let me know....got a couple evenings free this week.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Bat Crazed
Jims08Z06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: WA
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKat600 View Post
I filled my system with Engine Ice after a complete flush. Made a WORLD of difference but it sounds like this dood has bigger issues.
Agreed, check his radiator, bet it's filled with dirt/bugs/shit and some bent fins. I always spray out the bugs after each ride, and like yourself run a water wetter. A cox radiator guard is a must as those dinker fenders don't do much to protect the front of my bike. And I would never ever reuse a thermostat never. Mighty nice to offer a hand...AJ

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims08Z06 View Post
Agreed, check his radiator, bet it's filled with dirt/bugs/shit and some bent fins. I always spray out the bugs after each ride, and like yourself run a water wetter. A cox radiator guard is a must as those dinker fenders don't do much to protect the front of my bike. And I would never ever reuse a thermostat never. Mighty nice to offer a hand...AJ
Thanks dood. I had someone help me out A LOT a long time ago. I figured it's good to pass it around. Never know when I'll need it again.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Bat Crazed
Jims08Z06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: WA
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKat600 View Post
Thanks dood. I had someone help me out A LOT a long time ago. I figured it's good to pass it around. Never know when I'll need it again.
I don't know how much time you can spend on his machine. But I would want to see the plugs. A compression check, check the condition of the fluids, water/oil no mix I hope. Maybe take a peek at his air cleaner. Like yourself some very patient folks helped me get started many moons ago. It's very thoughtful to pay it forward...AJ

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
Ya, I have a checklist already in my head. Just need to get some items marked off is all when I see it in person.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
Pit Crew
rusty nail's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Sandy Oregon

I Ride: 05ZX10R
RedKat600 to the rescue again. Way to go! I hope you can help them and make friends on the way. That would be really cool. I used to try and help on the internet forums but got slammed for it. It's nice to see someone can do it successfully.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Peg Dragger
jonnyb347's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Gresham, OR

I Ride: 2005 Kawasaki 636
whoa you guys are awesome.

first off the thermostat is still in there, i put the old one back in. I'll order a new one tomorrow. I checked the radiator for debris and didn't see anything major, there are some bent fins but it looks like normal wear n tear. I can try the water wetter and spraying it out for bugs just incase, i havent done that yet.

redkat600, No garage, that's my biggest problem or I would have it all ripped apart. I live in apartments and I'm not even allowed to work in my parking spot, and i don't like to leave anything on the street because there are lots of thefts here.

I can possibly take it to my moms house in vancouver, wa. I think she has a garage i'll ask.

I have some basic tools, but I can buy some more if needed. I really just have a ratchet and a couple sockets and allen wrenches.


yes the fan kicks on always around 210 when stopped, and the temp will sometimes hover around 210. but if it's warm outside, anything over 80, the bike will get closer to 220+ usually i start riding or turn it off at that point. It's when i'm riding it seems to get really hot, also the seat gets really hot? I've never had my but get HOT from any other bike i've had. Before I did the flush though the temp would easily climb to 240+ skipping digits, but the weather was a little hotter then as well.

I definitley have some problems with the leak, and the bike seems like it wants to die at times. The RPMs dropped today to about 500 when I hit a stop light after I left my house, bike was at about 120 degree F.

Just feels off. I'll keep checking this thread if you have any other questions let me know. Hopefully I answered everything so far.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by jonnyb347; 08-28-2012 at 10:09 PM..
 
Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #14
Moderator
dragracer1951's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
From: Bremerton

I Ride: 07 XB12Scg, 03 Are See fiddy one, 05 DRZ470SM, 95 FZR1040, 69 Combat Commando Roadster, 73 Commando Interstate, 67 BSA B44, 71 BSA B50
Have you burped the system?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #15
Railer
nsrg500's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Everett. WA

I Ride: GS1150 Rat bike, NSR(G)500cc two stroke,CBR 900rr, 00 VFR800f
I'm betting on a clogged Rad + old Thermostat.

When I picked up my CBR900rr parts bike. The Rad looked like it had 10K on it, like new.
I spent and hour pulling tinny feathers out of it. Couldn't see em right off, but when I put a light on the back side I could see tons of crap in there.

Hot soapy water, compressed air, tweezers and a few minutes of close inspection will do wonders.

Had issues with a turbo 460 Ford. The thermostat would stick, then pop open. I got a trick after market one for like $12 and it was great. Took like three seconds to fully open.

My old FZR OEM Thermo was $25-$30!! I put in a Ford. It was the same size and a 180*, $5.

Also when I got my CBR, the in-Rad fan switch was broken. OEM was $67. I did some research and found them for $35. I thought that was too much. So looking on the Fireblades forum. Some people were using auto switches. They kick in at 200** or something but turned off at like 180*. About $20. Just had to find one with the same threads. Most are two wire and the Honda was one wire, easy mod. The parts bike had a new one so I never had to go there.


Just my worthless 2C.
You may find there are some options to stock parts.
Takes a bit of farting around to find what works. Helps if you have a buddy at an auto parts store that can check and compare lots of parts before you buy.

Anyway. Really like threads like this. I stand a good chance of learning something useful




P.S. Tried to Rep the Kat, but need to spread it around first.
I think RedKat had got a permanent foot print on the plate he's stepping up too.


__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by nsrg500; 08-29-2012 at 04:58 AM..
 
Old 08-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #16
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb347 View Post
whoa you guys are awesome.

first off the thermostat is still in there, i put the old one back in. I'll order a new one tomorrow. I checked the radiator for debris and didn't see anything major, there are some bent fins but it looks like normal wear n tear. I can try the water wetter and spraying it out for bugs just incase, i havent done that yet.

redkat600, No garage, that's my biggest problem or I would have it all ripped apart. I live in apartments and I'm not even allowed to work in my parking spot, and i don't like to leave anything on the street because there are lots of thefts here.

I can possibly take it to my moms house in vancouver, wa. I think she has a garage i'll ask.

I have some basic tools, but I can buy some more if needed. I really just have a ratchet and a couple sockets and allen wrenches.


yes the fan kicks on always around 210 when stopped, and the temp will sometimes hover around 210. but if it's warm outside, anything over 80, the bike will get closer to 220+ usually i start riding or turn it off at that point. It's when i'm riding it seems to get really hot, also the seat gets really hot? I've never had my but get HOT from any other bike i've had. Before I did the flush though the temp would easily climb to 240+ skipping digits, but the weather was a little hotter then as well.

I definitley have some problems with the leak, and the bike seems like it wants to die at times. The RPMs dropped today to about 500 when I hit a stop light after I left my house, bike was at about 120 degree F.

Just feels off. I'll keep checking this thread if you have any other questions let me know. Hopefully I answered everything so far.
Can you make it to LaCenter, WA? Google it and let me know. That's where I live.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
Peg Dragger
jonnyb347's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Gresham, OR

I Ride: 2005 Kawasaki 636
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKat600 View Post
Can you make it to LaCenter, WA? Google it and let me know. That's where I live.
ya it's only 50 minutes from me, should I order the new thermo first?

let me know if you wanna do it on the weekend or a weekday or what works best for you. and what I need to bring(more antifreeze? water wetter?)

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
Tonight? Just bring yourself and the bike for now. Testing needs to be done. I'll be home around 5:30 PM if that works for you. PM Incoming with address.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
Sorry our schedules didn't work out. I'm gonna bump this in the hopes that someone else can take a look at it and help you out who lives a little closer.

I'll check back and see if it's fixed or not.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Mechanical & Technical


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed