mrmat25

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Permit
erik's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: snohomish wa

I Ride: ninja 650r 2007
ninja 650r track bike convertion, please help..
So i dropped the triangke down the forks about 30mm so i could fit vortex clip ons on the bike right above the triangle tree, i put im emulators and the forks are a little stiffer but the bike has much less rake and trail now so when im going 60+ it feels terifyingly unstable compared to how it was stock. What can i do to make it more stable other than a home made mounted steering damper? Im scrared of highsiding and dieing like iv herd in so many storys

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 09-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Je Fa Fa
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Monroe-mish, WA
Blog Entries: 5

I Ride: 07 YZ450F, 74 XL350
not that I'm a suspension, racing, or ninja expert...

but could your clip ons go just under the top triple like on a super sport instead of over?

that would give you a a touch more "race-y" position, and stock suspension geometry

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Peg Dragger
Alanjtc73n's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Redmond, WA

I Ride: what others won't
Wut?

30mm is a lot to raise the forks in the triple. Put the clip ons below the triple tree.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Permit
erik's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: snohomish wa

I Ride: ninja 650r 2007
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by koorbloh View Post
not that I'm a suspension, racing, or ninja expert...

but could your clip ons go just under the top triple like on a super sport instead of over?

that would give you a a touch more "race-y" position, and stock suspension geometry
i was thinking of that, my only concern is my front brake fluid box not having room being under the tripple tree. ill see if it fits though

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
sctnabt
cjohns's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: Genesee, Idaho

I Ride: 'till I crash
Those clip-ons are probably designed to go under--meaning you don't raise the forks at all.

Vortex should have some type of instructions that describe this. Call them if they don't for some help.

Mainly familiar with Woodcraft equipment and been extremely happy with the type of fit, quality, and instructions that come with kits such as these. If there are other adjustments to be made, the kit instructions have usually included notes about other adjustments.

Sometimes clip-ons are only meant for race plastic, not stock bodywork.

If you need some additional help--get a hold of Barry/April at KFG.

Let us know how this turned out...

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by cjohns; 09-18-2012 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: clarification
 
Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
Clip ons go UNDER the top tree, not over. That's your issue. cjohns hit it on the money.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Novice Racer
Real Fast Travis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: .
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by erik View Post
So i dropped the triangke down the forks about 30mm so i could fit vortex clip ons on the bike right above the triangle tree, i put im emulators and the forks are a little stiffer but the bike has much less rake and trail now so when im going 60+ it feels terifyingly unstable compared to how it was stock. What can i do to make it more stable other than a home made mounted steering damper? Im scrared of highsiding and dieing like iv herd in so many storys


You think?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Licensed
racinjason44's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: North Bend, Oregon
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKat600 View Post
Clip ons go UNDER the top tree, not over. That's your issue. cjohns hit it on the money.
That depends on the bike. My 650 actually has clipons on top of the triple, but my forks are longer than his. I think you will have a hard time fitting clipons under the triple with stock bodywork. It will clear with catalyst race bodywork, most of the other race bodywork I know of requires you to cut for clearance.

With a stock shock on the back and the original forks you will want about 10mm of tube above the top triple. 30mm is way too much.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjason44 View Post
That depends on the bike. My 650 actually has clipons on top of the triple, but my forks are longer than his. I think you will have a hard time fitting clipons under the triple with stock bodywork. It will clear with catalyst race bodywork, most of the other race bodywork I know of requires you to cut for clearance.

With a stock shock on the back and the original forks you will want about 10mm of tube above the top triple. 30mm is way too much.
Exactly....except you explained it better.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Superbiker
RC51's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: Everett, WA

I Ride: Motorcycle
You can pick up different master cylinders with remote reservoirs and smaller reservoirs. All are fairly cheap.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Nex
Chicken Strips
Nex's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
From: Seattle

I Ride: 2011 Husky SMS630, 2007 CRF250R/SM, 2005 CRF450X
Can you run non stock master in SS?

Edit: I assume you want to race not just do track days.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Permit
erik's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: snohomish wa

I Ride: ninja 650r 2007
iv read somewhere that you can drop it up to 25mm safely and i just measured and adjusted it, it was at 40mm actually. i dropped it to 30mm and now the top 1/4 of the clip ons aren't touching fork. it feels ALOT more stable. I'm starting to consider a steering damper, i herd if i weld a bracket on the frame i can mount something.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Permit
erik's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: snohomish wa

I Ride: ninja 650r 2007
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex View Post
Can you run non stock master in SS?

Edit: I assume you want to race not just do track days.
id like to race but i dont think i can afford it yet. im going to do more track days and try tog et a job at bowing to support the costs

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by erik View Post
iv read somewhere that you can drop it up to 25mm safely and i just measured and adjusted it, it was at 40mm actually. i dropped it to 30mm and now the top 1/4 of the clip ons aren't touching fork. it feels ALOT more stable. I'm starting to consider a steering damper, i herd if i weld a bracket on the frame i can mount something.
If you drop the front, it is always wise to drop the rear the same amount and have a shock modified to limit the travel as to keep the same geometry.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
Permit
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Seattle WA
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by erik View Post
id like to race but i dont think i can afford it yet. im going to do more track days and try tog et a job at bowing to support the costs
A job at bowing? There's a butler program at Everett CC I think.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
Streetfighter
Lone Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: Pennisula backroads
Blog Entries: 2

I Ride: a cruzzer
My bud used drag bars at first. Then Barry at KFG did a 636 fork conversion and put on a Penske. Viola, badass little bike. I'd suggest trying those first.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
Nex
Chicken Strips
Nex's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
From: Seattle

I Ride: 2011 Husky SMS630, 2007 CRF250R/SM, 2005 CRF450X
636 fork would put it firmly in superbike territory, probably not a good move if he plans to ever race SS.

I'm not an SV setup expert, on R6 rear was up a few mm and front was lowered, running 211gpa. A few mm here and there was all it took, when you're talking 25mm-40mm it sounds pretty excessive.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #18
Novice Racer
Real Fast Travis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: .
This might be the best troll thread if the year.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
Licensed
racinjason44's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: North Bend, Oregon
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by erik View Post
iv read somewhere that you can drop it up to 25mm safely and i just measured and adjusted it, it was at 40mm actually. i dropped it to 30mm and now the top 1/4 of the clip ons aren't touching fork. it feels ALOT more stable. I'm starting to consider a steering damper, i herd if i weld a bracket on the frame i can mount something.
25mm is still a LOT. I have 25mm of fork tube above my triples on my 650, but I also have 636 forks that are 10mm longer than the 650 ones. My shock is about 4 mm longer than the stock 650 shock as well, though. You should not use a steering damper to mask a geometry problem.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
Licensed
racinjason44's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: North Bend, Oregon
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex View Post
636 fork would put it firmly in superbike territory, probably not a good move if he plans to ever race SS.

I'm not an SV setup expert, on R6 rear was up a few mm and front was lowered, running 211gpa. A few mm here and there was all it took, when you're talking 25mm-40mm it sounds pretty excessive.
Keep in mind though a bike like an R6 is a lot closer out of the box than something like an EX650, EX250, or SV250.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Mechanical & Technical

Tags
eat a sponge gannon


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed