Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #61
Permit
Poaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Grants Pass, OR
Nice to meet and ride with you too. There was almost a little of everything wasn't there? Except for single track we had highways, local roads, single lane paved, forest road, and my favorite, freeway .

Thanks for the video. Here's a few pics from the ride:





No, we didn't complete the route but we did come home safe and happy. We'll make a fall run out of it and hit Mt. Ashland on the way by.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #62
Pit Crew
Haga 41's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Medford OR

I Ride: 09 BMW R1200GSA,04 KTM 400 EXC, 08 DR650, 03 Aprilia Haga, 00 Indian Chief
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Poaker View Post

No, we didn't complete the route but we did come home safe and happy. We'll make a fall run out of it and hit Mt. Ashland on the way by.
Sometimes its the tight spots that ad flavor to the ride....lol I still cant believe how warm the waterfall water was. I guess Im going to have to play with the tire pressures on the 705s and see if I can get a little more traction

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #63
Permit
Poaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Grants Pass, OR
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga 41 View Post
I guess Im going to have to play with the tire pressures on the 705s and see if I can get a little more traction
When I'm running the 705's on forest roads, especially the dry hardpack with a pebble stuff like we were on, I find that 22/24 psi (F/R) works well. I've got roughly 1500 miles on mine with perhaps 30-40 percent aired down miles on them and they still look great so I don't think they are overheating or anything. Your DR is much lighter than my KLR so I think you could drop even a couple of psi lower without adverse impacts.

I almost bit it twice Saturday running highway pressures. Once on Carberry and then again on 1055. Both almost added a "flavor" to my shorts.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #64
Pit Crew
Haga 41's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Medford OR

I Ride: 09 BMW R1200GSA,04 KTM 400 EXC, 08 DR650, 03 Aprilia Haga, 00 Indian Chief
Caves Camp Rd
Sunday I am going to see if the snow is clear from Caves Camp Road from Williams to Cave Junction if not then maybe Cedar flats to Selma and maybe up Illinois River road

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Haga 41; 05-31-2012 at 12:53 PM..
 
Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #65
Permit
Poaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Grants Pass, OR
Want a tag along?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #66
Pit Crew
Haga 41's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Medford OR

I Ride: 09 BMW R1200GSA,04 KTM 400 EXC, 08 DR650, 03 Aprilia Haga, 00 Indian Chief
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Poaker View Post
Want a tag along?
Anyone who wants to come is more than welcome. What time works for you?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #67
Endorsed
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: grants pass

I Ride: 1998 Honda ST1100ABS/TCS, 2009 Husqvarna TE610 dual sport, SM
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga 41 View Post
Sunday I am going to see if the snow is clear from Caves Camp Road from Williams to Cave Junction if not then maybe Cedar flats to Selma and maybe up Illinois River road
I might be up for meeting up @ the Williams G. store when u come thru Sunday.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 06-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #68
Pit Crew
Haga 41's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Medford OR

I Ride: 09 BMW R1200GSA,04 KTM 400 EXC, 08 DR650, 03 Aprilia Haga, 00 Indian Chief
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by paneuro98 View Post
I might be up for meeting up @ the Williams G. store when u come thru Sunday.
How about Sunday 10:00 am at the Williams store?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #69
Endorsed
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: grants pass

I Ride: 1998 Honda ST1100ABS/TCS, 2009 Husqvarna TE610 dual sport, SM
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga 41 View Post
How about Sunday 10:00 am at the Williams store?
I'll plan on it and will see if Joe wants to go. PM me your cell # ?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #70
Pit Crew
Haga 41's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Medford OR

I Ride: 09 BMW R1200GSA,04 KTM 400 EXC, 08 DR650, 03 Aprilia Haga, 00 Indian Chief
Sunday 06-03-12 Dualsport Routes
Here are the Routes I was thinking. I dont know if the snow has melted enough on Grayback to get thru on Route 1. If not then we can do Route 2

Route 1

Route 2

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 06-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #71
Permit
Poaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Grants Pass, OR
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga 41 View Post
Here are the Routes I was thinking. I dont know if the snow has melted enough on Grayback to get thru on Route 1. If not then we can do Route 2

Route 1

Route 2
hell yah! Either one of those is an excellent choice. I'm stoked for Sunday! Thanks for the upload. I'll see if I can make a hard copy map.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 06-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #72
Endorsed
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: grants pass

I Ride: 1998 Honda ST1100ABS/TCS, 2009 Husqvarna TE610 dual sport, SM
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Poaker View Post
hell yah! Either one of those is an excellent choice. I'm stoked for Sunday! Thanks for the upload. I'll see if I can make a hard copy map.


Sounds like a plan! Joe and I will be there at 10AM Sunday. Will get a chance to break in my new back tire.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #73
Pit Crew
Haga 41's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Medford OR

I Ride: 09 BMW R1200GSA,04 KTM 400 EXC, 08 DR650, 03 Aprilia Haga, 00 Indian Chief
So I thought I would throw a ride report together for the June 3 Dualsport Ride from Williams.
First off I would like to thank Mike, Joe and Rich for joining me for the ride. The day for me started for myself allowing an hour to get from White City to Williams General Store. It took every bit of that to get their as the fellowship was attempting to use the same road as myself at the same time. I found everyone waiting for me at the store. We left the store headed west on Cedar Flat Road about 20 minutes after the hour in a great mood leaving the fellowship behind us. Made a left on Caves Camp road and then Low Divide Road. The roads were in great shape. Clean and traffic free. After several miles the road turns to gravel and I was quickly passed by Mike sporting a new set of Dunlop 606 tires. I use the term gravel loosely. Really its more like 2" rock making it a job to keep the bikes up right. After a few miles the road becomes single lane paved and not a spot of snow in sight. We dropped out on the Oregon Caves Hwy a few miles from the caves and headed towards Cave Junction turning off on Laurel Road to Hwy 199 at the golf course. We then headed east on 199 towards Selma turning on Reeves Creek Road at Sours Flats and riding by the lake and then on to Hwy 199 at Selma. We stopped at Rays Market and picked up lunch to eat later at the river. Mike and I swapped bikes at this point and I got a chance to try out his Husky TE610. The bike was fantastic. The seat concepts seat completely transformed the husky into a awesome bike with smooth suspension and great power. We headed up Illinois River Road with almost no traffic.We then stopped at 6 mile park and had lunch and did a little bench racing. We had the park to our self's. We left 6 mile a half hour later and continued up Illinois River Road and it soon became a gravel road NF4103 as we broke right an continued up the mountain into the Biscuit Fire area. Spring is always a great time of year for dualsporting as everything is in full bloom with critters running everywhere. We then came to the intersection of NF4103 and NF152. This intersection would later play a important role in the trip latter in the ride. NF152 was the route we needed but we broke left on NF4103 instead. As we road down into the valley you were quickly hit with great views of nature leading down to a small NF camp site where we turned around. Mike lead off on the big Husky followed by Rich on his KLR650 and then Joe on his DRZ400S as I brought up the rear. When we got back to the intersection at NF152 Mike and Rich broke hard left which went behind a bush and was missed by Joe who continued down the NF4103 road as I pitched my bike side ways in the intersection and waited with Rich for Joe's return. 10 minutes later Mike had turned around and came back to see where we disappeared to and notified us that Joe doesn't turn around and took off to chase him down. Kudos to Mike for sticking with his riding Buddie. We told him we would wait for 15 minute for his return and the head on. A half hour later we headed out on the NF152 road which then became the NF4105 road and back to Illinois River road and back to Hwy 199 where Rich and I were going to give Mike a call and found that he had found Joe and beat us out and tried to call Rich and I from the same spot.Rich and I headed back to Grants Pass where we split up and headed home. Got home about 5:30 pm. A big thanks to Mike, Rich and Joe for a great ride and hope to do it again. Here's a quick video I threw together.

http://youtu.be/tFzzJGNcRM8

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Haga 41; 06-04-2012 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: My Spell Check cant Spell
 
Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #74
Permit
Poaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Grants Pass, OR
Yup. That pretty much sums it up. THanks for posting the video Bob. Nice to meet and ride with you Mike and Joe.

Bob, for the next ride let's think north. Tiller/Umpqua N. Forest/Diamond Lake kinda stuff. Maybe even an overnighter.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 06-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #75
Pit Crew
Haga 41's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Medford OR

I Ride: 09 BMW R1200GSA,04 KTM 400 EXC, 08 DR650, 03 Aprilia Haga, 00 Indian Chief
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Poaker View Post
Yup. That pretty much sums it up. THanks for posting the video Bob. Nice to meet and ride with you Mike and Joe.

Bob, for the next ride let's think north. Tiller/Umpqua N. Forest/Diamond Lake kinda stuff. Maybe even an overnighter.
Ive been wanting to ride that area for sometime now.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 06-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #76
Endorsed
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: grants pass

I Ride: 1998 Honda ST1100ABS/TCS, 2009 Husqvarna TE610 dual sport, SM
It was an awesome ride Bob and Rich. I think the bike got a good wringing out and got some cobwebs out of my head. The video is way cool. I thought nobody took pics on the ride of the great scenery, the bikes and riders. There was just enough dirt to make it interesting too and dust wasnt too bad. I showed about 165 miles for the ride and would guess having to backtrack, I had to put more miles on than you guys to get back to the pavement near 6 Mile. Looking at the map, you guys were only 8-10 miles back to the pavement from when we split up. I was pretty well whipped when I got home though. Please post up on any plans for future rides if u can so maybe can join in. Thanks guys!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 06-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #77
Pit Crew
Haga 41's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Medford OR

I Ride: 09 BMW R1200GSA,04 KTM 400 EXC, 08 DR650, 03 Aprilia Haga, 00 Indian Chief
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by paneuro98 View Post
It was an awesome ride Bob and Rich. I think the bike got a good wringing out and got some cobwebs out of my head. The video is way cool. I thought nobody took pics on the ride of the great scenery, the bikes and riders. There was just enough dirt to make it interesting too and dust wasnt too bad. I showed about 165 miles for the ride and would guess having to backtrack, I had to put more miles on than you guys to get back to the pavement near 6 Mile. Looking at the map, you guys were only 8-10 miles back to the pavement from when we split up. I was pretty well whipped when I got home though. Please post up on any plans for future rides if u can so maybe can join in. Thanks guys!
Thank's Mike. You and Joe are always welcome on the rides. Once I get back from Nevada I will have to see if I can string some single track stuff together that is dualsport friendly. Do a little more playing in an area rather than just riding thru it.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #78
Pit Crew
Haga 41's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Medford OR

I Ride: 09 BMW R1200GSA,04 KTM 400 EXC, 08 DR650, 03 Aprilia Haga, 00 Indian Chief
My vacation is all but over now. I loaned my DR650 to a buddy and three of us went to Nevada to ride in the desert. We headed to Gerlach Nv and headed up to High rock Canyon.It was 109 deg and the roads were made up of sand, rocks and shale. I was riding my BMW 1200 GSA. If anyone want to know if you can get thru High rock Canyon on a Adventure bike the answer is NO. I took my share of sand naps and hangups in boulder fields to manage heat stroke and blow the HyperPro rear shock on the beemer ending the trip with a long trip up soldier meadows ranch road to Denio and then back to medford. It was a hard vacation but worth it. At least it wasnt in a covered wagon.

http://youtu.be/i2UP2neBrJg?hd=1

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #79
Permit
Poaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Grants Pass, OR
Glad to hear you made it back in one piece!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #80
Endorsed
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: grants pass

I Ride: 1998 Honda ST1100ABS/TCS, 2009 Husqvarna TE610 dual sport, SM
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga 41 View Post
My vacation is all but over now. I loaned my DR650 to a buddy and three of us went to Nevada to ride in the desert. We headed to Gerlach Nv and headed up to High rock Canyon.It was 109 deg and the roads were made up of sand, rocks and shale. I was riding my BMW 1200 GSA. If anyone want to know if you can get thru High rock Canyon on a Adventure bike the answer is NO. I took my share of sand naps and hangups in boulder fields to manage heat stroke and blow the HyperPro rear shock on the beemer ending the trip with a long trip up soldier meadows ranch road to Denio and then back to medford. It was a hard vacation but worth it. At least it wasnt in a covered wagon.

http://youtu.be/i2UP2neBrJg?hd=1
Too bad it was so hot. How did the DR perform out there? Id like to try some desert with the Husky sometime. How much tarmac miles to get to the area?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > Oregon Riders > Medford Region


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed