mrmat25

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Licensed
stupidityispainful's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: marysville Wa

I Ride: 1043 CCs of pure goodness
190/50/17 vs 190/55/17 ?
I bought a new Z1000 and I don't like the stock tires to much. So I was planning on getting a set of PP 2CT's . I had them on my 636 and loved them. Now I'm wondering If when I get them I should go with the 190/55/17s instead of the stock 190/50/17 size or what about a 180/55/17 . Has anybody done this and what are the pros and cons of the change?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by stupidityispainful; 08-29-2010 at 04:41 PM..
 

Old 08-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Endorsed
Gootmacher's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: portland
The 55 will turn in a little quicker and when leaned over will give a bigger contact patch.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Licensed
stupidityispainful's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: marysville Wa

I Ride: 1043 CCs of pure goodness
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootmacher View Post
The 55 will turn in a little quicker and when leaned over will give a bigger contact patch.
that sounds like a plus . and downside to it?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Peg Dragger
shakazulu12's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
From: Portland, OR

I Ride: Melbs5150's momma
It will give you slightly taller gearing. Switching to a 55 on my CBR1000rr's was one of the best things I did to it IMHO.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Licensed
stupidityispainful's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: marysville Wa

I Ride: 1043 CCs of pure goodness
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by shakazulu12 View Post
It will give you slightly taller gearing. Switching to a 55 on my CBR1000rr's was one of the best things I did to it IMHO.
that might work for me too . I was thinking of adding a tooth to the front sprocket to try to get the revs down alittle on the freeway

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
Racer Extraordinaire
theJrod's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
From: Marysville, WA

I Ride: w/ Optimum Performance Rider Training
Do a search. I swear I've ansered this exact question probably a dozen times.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Endorsed
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Arlington, WA
Considering your goal of dropping the RPMs, go with the 55. The taller profile loses some straight up stability (it'll be easier to turn in) for larger side/angle sfc area in the turn. The 55 profile mitigates turn/lean grip that is the performance achilles heel of a MC.

Check this out: Gearing Commander

Enter your bike model & it'll calculate RPM, speed etc. You can enter additional tire sizes, gearing, etc to see comparable readouts for different configs.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by WheelSpin; 08-29-2010 at 04:00 PM..
 
Old 08-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Licensed
stupidityispainful's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: marysville Wa

I Ride: 1043 CCs of pure goodness
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by theJrod View Post
Do a search. I swear I've ansered this exact question probably a dozen times.
I did a search and couldn't find anything on this but I wasn't sure what to use for the search keywords

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
Licensed
stupidityispainful's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: marysville Wa

I Ride: 1043 CCs of pure goodness
I found this and it makes me wonder if a 180/55 would be almost as good and more affordable
http://image.sportrider.com/f/860437...e5-01-zoom.jpg

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Shredder
cal_look_zero's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Grass Pants, OR
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: 06 CBR600RR (mine) / 88 CBR600F (hers)
I run a 190/55 religiously. Yes, it's a 600. No, I don't have any untouched rubber on the outside edges of the tires. I feel a need to mention that because those not "in the know" tend to make uninformed comments about having too big of a tire on a "little 600." Most of them being on 1000s, 180s, chicken strips. ANYHOW, it turns in deeper which directly converts to faster corner speeds and less trail braking. More contact patch in the corner leads to an ease of adjusting in the corner with confidence.

These are all IMO, but unless everyone I used to ride with got slower a week after I upgraded my tires, then everything I say is true for me.

I have a shiny new 003r/s in 190/55 (and the respective front) coming to me this week. Woo!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
Endorsed
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Arlington, WA
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_look_zero View Post
I run a 190/55 religiously. Yes, it's a 600. No, I don't have any untouched rubber on the outside edges of the tires. I feel a need to mention that because those not "in the know" tend to make uninformed comments about having too big of a tire on a "little 600." Most of them being on 1000s, 180s, chicken strips. ANYHOW, it turns in deeper which directly converts to faster corner speeds and less trail braking. More contact patch in the corner leads to an ease of adjusting in the corner with confidence.

These are all IMO, but unless everyone I used to ride with got slower a week after I upgraded my tires, then everything I say is true for me.

I have a shiny new 003r/s in 190/55 (and the respective front) coming to me this week. Woo!
Unless you're using aftermaket wheels (not to mention if you've got enough swingarm cleearance), the stock 5.5" wheels aren't made to hold a 190. There's also the way the bikes geometry was designed around the tire profile. It can be done, but it's not really what it was designed for.

Yeah, I know you know. Just sayin'.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by WheelSpin; 08-29-2010 at 05:27 PM..
 
Old 08-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
WMRRA Sportsman of the year
cobra525's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: Marysville, Wa

I Ride: my race bike, poorly.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_look_zero View Post
I run a 190/55 religiously. Yes, it's a 600. No, I don't have any untouched rubber on the outside edges of the tires. I feel a need to mention that because those not "in the know" tend to make uninformed comments about having too big of a tire on a "little 600." Most of them being on 1000s, 180s, chicken strips. ANYHOW, it turns in deeper which directly converts to faster corner speeds and less trail braking. More contact patch in the corner leads to an ease of adjusting in the corner with confidence.

These are all IMO, but unless everyone I used to ride with got slower a week after I upgraded my tires, then everything I say is true for me.

I have a shiny new 003r/s in 190/55 (and the respective front) coming to me this week. Woo!
I runa 190 and even used a 200. The more I think about it the more I might go back to it, because I'd like to have some tire left. Runing to the edge is not always a good thing.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelSpin View Post
Unless you're using aftermaket wheels (not to mention if you've got enough swingarm cleearance), the stock 5.5" wheels aren't made to hold a 190. trhere's also the way the bikes geometry was designed around the tire profile. It can be done, but it's not really what it was designed for.

Yeah, I know you know. Just sayin'.
Not this again

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Railer
BikerSk8rKid's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Inner SE Portland, Oregon

I Ride: 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (636)
When I got my 636 I had to get new tires, well really only a rear, but yeah. I got 2ct's and I had to either go up a size in front or go down, because they don't make the stock size. I'm still a newbie, but I felt a difference in turning, even with PSI too. haha I can't remember what other tires I had, but these are my first set. :D

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
Racer Extraordinaire
theJrod's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
From: Marysville, WA

I Ride: w/ Optimum Performance Rider Training
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelSpin View Post
Unless you're using aftermaket wheels (not to mention if you've got enough swingarm cleearance), the stock 5.5" wheels aren't made to hold a 190. trhere's also the way the bikes geometry was designed around the tire profile. It can be done, but it's not really what it was designed for.

Yeah, I know you know. Just sayin'.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
Endorsed
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Arlington, WA
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by theJrod View Post
Ok. Throw me a bone.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #16
Pit Crew
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: Seattle, WA

I Ride: 02 RC51,09 KTM 690r enduro
I think my RC51 runs 190/55 stock. Lately I have been running 180/55 both with street tires and DOT race tires for track days. Why? Two reasons. One is that 180/55 tires are usually a lot cheaper than 190/55. Two is that I have tried 190/55 tires for track days and actually go slower because I am too lazy to fix the geometry and gearing to get the bike re-sorted. I'm sure if I fixed that stuff the 190/55 would be a better tire. Anyway....my talent level is more 180/55 low cost Also the 180/55 makes the RC feel a bit more nimble compared to the 190/50.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Velociraptor; 08-29-2010 at 05:39 PM..
 
Old 08-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
Shredder
cal_look_zero's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Grass Pants, OR
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: 06 CBR600RR (mine) / 88 CBR600F (hers)
There's always skeptics. A Bridgestone rep is the one who put the bug in my ear about upping the size when I bought my first set of 016s. Bikes are also designed by engineers to be ridden by riders at 5'8" and 150-160lbs. That's why we also have suspension upgrades, parts that allow adapting geometry (rearsets, clipons), and go fast parts.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #18
Racer Extraordinaire
theJrod's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
From: Marysville, WA

I Ride: w/ Optimum Performance Rider Training
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I think my RC51 runs 190/55 stock. Lately I have been running 180/55 both with street tires and DOT race tires for track days. Why? Two reasons. One is that 180/55 tires are usually a lot cheaper than 190/55. Two is that I have tried 190/55 tires for track days and actually go slower because I am too lazy to fix the geometry and gearing to get the bike re-sorted. I'm sure if I fixed that stuff the 190/55 would be a better tire. Anyway....my talent level is more 180/55 low cost Also the 180/55 makes the RC feel a bit more nimble compared to the 190/50.
The RC came with a 190/50 stock. The 190/55 is a good upgrade for that bike - definitely improves the handling. I've run all 3 sizes on my old RC, and thought the 190/55 was best.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #19
Novice Racer
late apex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
From: moscow, id
Blog Entries: 2

I Ride: one handed, looking behind me.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelSpin View Post
Unless you're using aftermaket wheels (not to mention if you've got enough swingarm cleearance), the stock 5.5" wheels aren't made to hold a 190. There's also the way the bikes geometry was designed around the tire profile. It can be done, but it's not really what it was designed for.

Yeah, I know you know. Just sayin'.
A 190 is an acceptable fit on a 5.5" rim by all tire manufacturers I have seen.

As someone who has run all three tire sizes on my Z1000, the only way to go is with a 190/55. There is way more stability in that chassis than is necessary. I not only run a 190/55 but machined new dogbones to get the rear even higher.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #20
Pit Crew
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: Seattle, WA

I Ride: 02 RC51,09 KTM 690r enduro
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by theJrod View Post
The RC came with a 190/50 stock. The 190/55 is a good upgrade for that bike - definitely improves the handling. I've run all 3 sizes on my old RC, and thought the 190/55 was best.
Yeah no doubt it would result in better lap times with the right setup. Right now with the 190/55 it seems to want to push the front. Dropping the forks to raise the front end a little would probably do the trick.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Motorcycle Talk


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed