Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Permit
OP
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Tacoma, Washington

I Ride: 2011 R1
First bike...what to do? suggestions?
So here is my first bike! Need suggestions on what to do to it and PLEASE don't start with insurance thread again because I have it. Here is what I got already thats being installed as we speak.

1. HID's
2. Angel Eyes
3.Flush mount turn signals
4.Integrated Tail Light
5.Fendor Eliminator kit
6.Full titanium Graves exhaust
7. I1100 Scorpion alarm
8. New windscreen
9. PC5
10. Graves No cut frame sliders
11. Being mapped and tuned by nels


__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 05-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Parts Collector
dscott3509's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Milwaukie

I Ride: Triumph Tiger 800
Riding classes and track days?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Race Qualifier
evander's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
From: N side Spokane

I Ride: a Yamaha slayer real slow.
NOS bitch!

Or a turbo.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Permit
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Rochester

I Ride: '05 Bandit 1200, '84 VF1100S, '87 XR600
Nice bike. What kind of experience do you have?
Not specific bike related, but one of the best mods you could do is on you! Take the MSF basic, advanced, and performance oriented riding courses, they will help you wring out and actually use some of the capability of that machine. While helping you stay alive.
What kind of riding gear do you have? Get the best stuff you can, it's worth it.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Novice Racer
Thaloc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Wenatchee, WA

I Ride: in my memories
Wanna know the best mod you could do?



Go trade it in for something suitable for a first bike.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Permit
OP
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Tacoma, Washington

I Ride: 2011 R1
Okay so my bike was kind of a gift from the wifey and she didn't know anything about motorcycles either except there fast so ofcourse she got a 2011 R1. Rode dirt bikes for awhile and never a streetbike, Sooo about 600 miles worth and most of them freeway. so none really. Classes are gonna happen for sure! I had to make a trip to afghanistan for a few things (military) and coming back soon so first class is already paid for and set up. I have an alpinestars leather jacket, alpine stars gloves with CF, Scoprion helmet, need riding pants and boots but to be honest I won't wear boots wile riding the street. I know and you guys can preach all day but its not gonna happen unless im out doing serious riding not just cruising because I get off and do other things and they arent attractive or comfortable. Thats pretty much it.

I will pass on turbo and nos for now, fast enough for me as is. thanks though

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Permit
OP
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Tacoma, Washington

I Ride: 2011 R1
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaloc View Post
Wanna know the best mod you could do?



Go trade it in for something suitable for a first bike.


If your gonna answer like this? save your time, Its already bought not losing a few grand over it. Not gonna get rid of it, unless your wanna pay for it all then be my guest.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Race Qualifier
blueline15's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Where the snow falls
Blog Entries: 3

I Ride: one with two wheels
So many troll threads lately. This is fantastic!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Novice Racer
Thaloc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Wenatchee, WA

I Ride: in my memories
At least pick up some sturdy leather hiking boots that cover your ankle. Take a second and think about rolling across the ground at 50+mph, your leg whipping against the pavement and the first thing that hits...each time, is the side of your ankle.

Food for thought.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
Novice Racer
wordsareforplay's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
From: Around
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Psullivan20 View Post
Okay so my bike was kind of a gift from the wifey and she didn't know anything about motorcycles either except there fast so ofcourse she got a 2011 R1. Rode dirt bikes for awhile and never a streetbike, Sooo about 600 miles worth and most of them freeway. so none really. Classes are gonna happen for sure! I had to make a trip to afghanistan for a few things (military) and coming back soon so first class is already paid for and set up. I have an alpinestars leather jacket, alpine stars gloves with CF, Scoprion helmet, need riding pants and boots but to be honest I won't wear boots wile riding the street. I know and you guys can preach all day but its not gonna happen unless im out doing serious riding not just cruising because I get off and do other things and they arent attractive or comfortable. Thats pretty much it.

I will pass on turbo and nos for now, fast enough for me as is. thanks though
Consider street style boots...Icon Superduty, Astars SMX2, etc. I've got Superduty and I've hiked Little Si in them.

There are also jeans/canvas pants that are reinforced for riding, if you're not after leather pants.

Sounds like you've got the standard mod list covered short of braided brake lines, Woodcraft stator cover, etc. Maybe also contact KFG or FSS or someone and at least have sag and such setup for you, if you want to dump more money in respring for your weight.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Pit Crew
 
Joined: Jun 2011
From: S. Oregon
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by evander View Post
NOS bitch!

Or a turbo.
^this

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Race Qualifier
evander's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
From: N side Spokane

I Ride: a Yamaha slayer real slow.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Psullivan20 View Post
I will pass on turbo and nos for now, fast enough for me as is. thanks though
So why the full system, PC5, and custom map?


Because my liter bike is fast enough for me too. Never had a problem getting her to go like a rapped ape, I like the bitch to stop when I want her to so the 1st thing I mod in SS brake lines. I also like to ride for hours and hate my hands going numb so gel grips. And with the no fading brakes I like my balls so I add Stomp Grip. Oh and get the suspension set up for your weight.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Moderator
MichelinMan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
From: The Wet Eastside

I Ride: CBR 600RR
Beautiful bike.

My suggestions?

- Get seat time. Lots of it.
- Get more seat time.
- Spend time riding it before you drop all kinds of $ modding it
- Get more seat time.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
Permit
OP
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Tacoma, Washington

I Ride: 2011 R1
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaloc View Post
At least pick up some sturdy leather hiking boots that cover your ankle. Take a second and think about rolling across the ground at 50+mph, your leg whipping against the pavement and the first thing that hits...each time, is the side of your ankle.

Food for thought.
I have plenty hiking boots. I WILL buy boots for riding. I was just simply saying if im going out to starbucks or the store or what not then I wouldnt wear them. If I am going out of a ride for a period of time then yeah I will wear them. I lose a foot on a trip to albertsons then fuck me ill hobble my cripple ass over and bring you a six pack and say you were right.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Permit
OP
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Tacoma, Washington

I Ride: 2011 R1
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelinMan View Post
Beautiful bike.

My suggestions?

- Get seat time. Lots of it.
- Get more seat time.
- Spend time riding it before you drop all kinds of $ modding it
- Get more seat time.
Too Late its already being done. BUT I will take all classes and will be at track days. I went my own route, don't slam me too hard guys.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Pit Crew
 
Joined: Jun 2011
From: S. Oregon
nice bike, take it slow

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
Permit
OP
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Tacoma, Washington

I Ride: 2011 R1
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by evander View Post
So why the full system, PC5, and custom map?


Because my liter bike is fast enough for me too. Never had a problem getting her to go like a rapped ape, I like the bitch to stop when I want her to so the 1st thing I mod in SS brake lines. I also like to ride for hours and hate my hands going numb so gel grips. And with the no fading brakes I like my balls so I add Stomp Grip. Oh and get the suspension set up for your weight.
So your saying an exhaust and PC5 is comparible to a bike with a turbo and nos? Please explain Im a noob remember

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
Chicken Strips
DogoZX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: outta nowhere,

I Ride: around the outside!
Ohlins SBK forks and TTX shock
BST wheels
BrakeTech carbon rotors
Brembo monoblocks

the list can go on and on...

but in all seriousness, bolt on what you've already got, get Nels to map it, have one of our local suspension gurus set up your boingers, ride it... then decide if there is anything else you "need". $0.02

Does your wife have a sister?... j/k... Helluva first bike! Lucky man!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
Novice Racer
Thaloc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Wenatchee, WA

I Ride: in my memories
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Psullivan20 View Post
I went my own route, don't slam me too hard guys.
No one is slamming you. Just giving you words of wisdom from the experienced. We all wanna keep see you riding for years to come on that same R1 as shiny as the day you got it.

What MM said.

Seat time, seat time, seat time. And for the love of all that is good in this world, respect the throttle. Fuck dumping more money into performance mods. Get some top notch gear, Sliders, case savers, anything that will save you from getting fucked up in a crash, and money repairing your bike.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #20
Race Qualifier
evander's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
From: N side Spokane

I Ride: a Yamaha slayer real slow.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Psullivan20 View Post
So your saying an exhaust and PC5 is comparible to a bike with a turbo and nos? Please explain Im a noob remember
Why are you adding a FULL system? I get that a lot of people hate the stock cans and or want a different sound and both can be achieved with a simple slip on. In my experience people get full systems for the added horsepower. Same reason adding NOS or turbo to different results. So if you, on your brand new bike, want more horsepower not go for the MOAH (mother of all horsepower) and just get on the bottle or add the boost?

And for those in the peanut gallery suggesting weight savings with a full system why not drop the $$$ and go for unsprung weight savings with aftermarket wheels?

For me, the last thing I need to do to my bike is add HP when it's challenging enough to get what I have to the ground as effectively as possible. Suspension, brakes, wheels, controls, etc IMHO are not a "flashy" but much better mods to a bike than engine / exhaust work.


EDIT Or before doing much modifications to a bike other than protective stuff, crash cage, sliders, covers, etc learn to ride the bike as is then add performance stuff when you know what you need to preform better.

EDIT EDIT It's your bike, you're an adult, do what ever the fuck you want to with it. Thanks for your service and I hope you stick around the site for a while.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by evander; 05-17-2012 at 10:24 AM..
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Motorcycle Talk


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed