Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Endorsed
Aman's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: seattle

I Ride: 03' bandit 1200, 03' DL 1000, 10' R1
dry contacts with full face helmet?
im having a pretty big issue with my eyes drying up while im riding. im wearing a $130 hjc CL-16 with a chin guard and breath guard i purchased in hopes of limiting the airflow getting to my eyes it seems that the majority of the air hittin my eyes is coming through the seal were the faceshield mates with the helmet. i would assume there is always goin to be air hitting your eyes in all helmets but i wanted to know if anyone else has had this type of problem? ive tried on but never had a chance to ride with the more highend helmets out there. im just wondering if i need a new helmet to alliviate my problem or i need to start wearing my glasses again

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
None. I have a Scorpion helmet and never have air hitting my eyes UNLESS I flip the tab on visor to the fully down position which keeps the visor cracked open for airflow. Doesn't look like you have one of those, however. How old is this helmet?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Endorsed
Aman's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: seattle

I Ride: 03' bandit 1200, 03' DL 1000, 10' R1
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKat600 View Post
None. I have a Scorpion helmet and never have air hitting my eyes UNLESS I flip the tab on visor to the fully down position which keeps the visor cracked open for airflow. Doesn't look like you have one of those, however. How old is this helmet?
the helmet is just about a year old clean and never been down. what scorpion helmet are you using?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Novice Racer
wordsareforplay's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
From: Around
This will restrict all air flow to your eyes from below.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman View Post
the helmet is just about a year old clean and never been down. what scorpion helmet are you using?
EXO 500 with flip down sunglasses/visor. Sweet lid!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Mr. Pickles
Blues Brothers's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
From: Spokane

I Ride: 2012 Ultra Blue Metallic Wing w Rockin' Tunes...
Might be a good idea to keep an eye solution or eye drops with you.

If you're experiencing this with a full face helmet, seems others wouldn't be much different; unless specific vents are open.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Licensed
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: Lacey, WA

I Ride: 1989 CBR 600, 1982 GPz 550
Never had an issue with any helmet. Having said that, I have found that crappy/old contacts will give that sensation regardless if I have the front vent open or not.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Peg Dragger
Khustla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Alabama

I Ride: , we ride!
Wear clear range glasses. You can find some comfy ones for less than $5. Also comes in handy if you have a tinted visor and have to ride home at night. And you can possibly avoid a ticket for having your visor up....

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Shredder
Flyboymedic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Hazel Dell, Wa

I Ride: 2000 Honda VFR800, 2008 Husqvarna TE-610
On many helmets you can adjust the side pieces towards the rear to help seal the visor against the helmet. I would recommend checking that. I actually need to do the same thing on my Arai because it leaks water.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Licensed
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: Greater Seattle, WA

I Ride: 2009 Yamaha FJR1300
Wore a CL-16 for a couple of years and never had any problem with my contacts drying out. I think there is a way to adjust the shield so it seals more tightly and prevents the air flow you describe.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Knee Dragger
Amorget's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
From: Stanwood, WA

I Ride: 99 SV650, 00 TLR, 01 SV650S, 08 848
Try blinking once in awhile.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Race Qualifier
Spec's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
From: SE Portland, OR

I Ride: race-prepped '05 ZX6-R, '83 Yamaha XS400
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorget View Post
Try blinking once in awhile.
Hey, there's a thought.

I had more problems with my AGV than I do with my Shark, assumably because there was way more airflow going around my head in the AGV. Is this your first helmet? New type of contacts?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
In the description for the HJC CL-16 it states:
“ Quote:
”ACS” Advanced Channeling Ventilation System: Full front to back airflow flushes heat and humidity up and out.
I'd imagine this airflow is what dries your eyes out. Borrow a different helmet from a buddy or something and see if the issue persists.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
Moto2 Contender
courier11sec's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
From: where they don't have lawns.

I Ride: on the storm.
Two things:
Try removing and replacing your faceshield as it may be not seating properly and check the seal.
I pack a bottle of re-wetting drops around wherever I go. Especially since moving to Arizona.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
Endorsed
Centrifugal Force's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
From: Vancouver, Washington

I Ride: 09 ZX14
I always have the same problem and have tried four or five different helmets. But I can stand riding with glasses that affect my peripheral vision, so stuck with helmet and sun glasses that cut down on air flow. Bought a set from sound rider that has interchangable lenses and seem to work well so far.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
Endorsed
d0od's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Tacoma, WA

I Ride: 00 ZX-6R, 04 R1, 03 GL1800
I wear an Arai Quantum and I used to wear my glasses when I rode just because my eyeballs would dry out, but then I got my eyes lazered and no longer have to think about it.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
Endorsed
FABJUNK-E's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
From: Bellingham,WA / Puyallup, WA

I Ride: 77 cb750F Cafe, 03 sv650s ever so gently, 98 R1 on the rear wheel.
It doesnt matter which helmet i use shoei, arai, kbc, scorpion. I have had the same problem. I carry a rewetting solution bottle with me and use it during stops. glasses the rest of the time. Ive tried the air optics, cibas, dailys even gas perms. no change. when your tracking or just pushing it go with the contacts. I find i have interfence in my vision with the glasses due to the bike vibrations.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
Endorsed
Echelon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
From: Location Loading...

I Ride: Motorcycle Loading...
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKat600 View Post
EXO 500 with flip down sunglasses/visor. Sweet lid!
I wear an EXO-500 with astigmatism contacts which are slightly larger than normal and I've never had a problem.

I'd say invest in a different helmet, or blink more per minute.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #19
Endorsed
fishrscary's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Lakewood, WA

I Ride: 2008 Ninja 250, 2006 Katana 600
Shoei X11 (now X12) - IMHO, best helmet for contact lens wearers
I am seriously blind w/o my contacts. And I had the exact same problem you had when I bought an Icon helmet instead of an expensive Shoei.

I don't know how much you want to spend, but I have an Shoei X11 (now they're X12s) and I LOVE it. My eyes never get dry, the windshield is completely wind tight and I don't hear much noise at all. They are eff-ing expensive though. However, I think they're worth it. It is your head and vision, right?

There's more vents on the Shoei X12 than any other helmet I've ever seen, and even with ALL the vents open, the wind goes over the top of my head. There's a vent by your mouth (and if you look inside the helmet, you'll see that it directs the wind down), two right above the faceshield two around where my forehead meets my hair - more on the hair part, and two more vents on the back of my helmet, right over the "spoiler" part of the helmet. You don't have to open the vents all the way either, if you don't want to.

I've never had to put a chin piece on the helmet - cuz I've never had any issues with wind or cold - or hot actually. Once my helmet wears out, I'm going to buy another Shoei X12. I saw mono - color ones on bikebandit for $613 (but you'd get like $200 in bandit bucks for whatever you want to by next time).

If I were you, go to a cycle gear and just try on helmets and then buy one (because they have a 7 day return policy). You can then test out various helmets w/o needing to worry about wasting money. So if it's more expensive at Cycle Gear, then online - then you now know the model and size. Also the Shoei X12 is the top of the line racing helmet made by Shoei. If you want graphics, the price jumps to $755 on bike bandit.

Icon helmet -

My eyes dried out so much that one of my contacts almost fell out - I rode blind for a few seconds at night - scariest moment of my LIFE!! I completely thought I was going to die. I couldn't see anything cuz my other contact was all dry and shifted in my eye. Luckily, I was able to blink and fake yawn (to get tears) and my contacts went back into place and I could see again. I NEVER WORE THAT HELMET AGAIN (I'm not an Icon fan at all - they charge too much for not good enough quality). I wore my OLD Shoei helmet to cycle gear to get a new helmet.

After that "OMG - I survived!" moment, I then bought my "standard" helmet, meaning what I always buy... Shoei RF1000 (they're RF1100s now) - it was fine, I was used to it... But not enough vents - my head used to always get hot - that was always a prob with the RF1000 series for me. So I went back to cycle gear and brought back the RF1000 and bought the X11 - my life was never the same again. I'm not exaggerating - I didn't have ANY probs at all with being hot or cold or not enough wind passing to cool me off - and NO DRY EYES!! And I'm not at all on top of the whole - "change your contacts every month". I wear mine till they feel way old, which on average is about two months or maybe longer - scary, I know.

I've been wearing contacts and Shoei's for over 22 years now - yeah, my profile pic makes me look young, but I'm really not.

Also - I'm Chinese, so you know I'm cheap when it comes to buying stuff. LOL! Shoei is made in Japan, and the quality is great.

But truly, go to Cycle Gear, try on multiple helmets, see which one fits you the best, and then try it out, you have NOTHING to lose. Just don't by a crappy $50 Bilt helmet. Those things scare me.

- Peggy (fishrscary)

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman View Post
im having a pretty big issue with my eyes drying up while im riding. im wearing a $130 hjc CL-16 with a chin guard and breath guard i purchased in hopes of limiting the airflow getting to my eyes it seems that the majority of the air hittin my eyes is coming through the seal were the faceshield mates with the helmet. i would assume there is always goin to be air hitting your eyes in all helmets but i wanted to know if anyone else has had this type of problem? ive tried on but never had a chance to ride with the more highend helmets out there. im just wondering if i need a new helmet to alliviate my problem or i need to start wearing my glasses again

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
Endorsed
Aman's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: seattle

I Ride: 03' bandit 1200, 03' DL 1000, 10' R1
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrscary View Post
I am seriously blind w/o my contacts. And I had the exact same problem you had when I bought an Icon helmet instead of an expensive Shoei.

I don't know how much you want to spend, but I have an Shoei X11 (now they're X12s) and I LOVE it. My eyes never get dry, the windshield is completely wind tight and I don't hear much noise at all. They are eff-ing expensive though. However, I think they're worth it. It is your head and vision, right?

There's more vents on the Shoei X12 than any other helmet I've ever seen, and even with ALL the vents open, the wind goes over the top of my head. There's a vent by your mouth (and if you look inside the helmet, you'll see that it directs the wind down), two right above the faceshield two around where my forehead meets my hair - more on the hair part, and two more vents on the back of my helmet, right over the "spoiler" part of the helmet. You don't have to open the vents all the way either, if you don't want to.

I've never had to put a chin piece on the helmet - cuz I've never had any issues with wind or cold - or hot actually. Once my helmet wears out, I'm going to buy another Shoei X12. I saw mono - color ones on bikebandit for $613 (but you'd get like $200 in bandit bucks for whatever you want to by next time).

If I were you, go to a cycle gear and just try on helmets and then buy one (because they have a 7 day return policy). You can then test out various helmets w/o needing to worry about wasting money. So if it's more expensive at Cycle Gear, then online - then you now know the model and size. Also the Shoei X12 is the top of the line racing helmet made by Shoei. If you want graphics, the price jumps to $755 on bike bandit.

Icon helmet -

My eyes dried out so much that one of my contacts almost fell out - I rode blind for a few seconds at night - scariest moment of my LIFE!! I completely thought I was going to die. I couldn't see anything cuz my other contact was all dry and shifted in my eye. Luckily, I was able to blink and fake yawn (to get tears) and my contacts went back into place and I could see again. I NEVER WORE THAT HELMET AGAIN (I'm not an Icon fan at all - they charge too much for not good enough quality). I wore my OLD Shoei helmet to cycle gear to get a new helmet.

After that "OMG - I survived!" moment, I then bought my "standard" helmet, meaning what I always buy... Shoei RF1000 (they're RF1100s now) - it was fine, I was used to it... But not enough vents - my head used to always get hot - that was always a prob with the RF1000 series for me. So I went back to cycle gear and brought back the RF1000 and bought the X11 - my life was never the same again. I'm not exaggerating - I didn't have ANY probs at all with being hot or cold or not enough wind passing to cool me off - and NO DRY EYES!! And I'm not at all on top of the whole - "change your contacts every month". I wear mine till they feel way old, which on average is about two months or maybe longer - scary, I know.

I've been wearing contacts and Shoei's for over 22 years now - yeah, my profile pic makes me look young, but I'm really not.

Also - I'm Chinese, so you know I'm cheap when it comes to buying stuff. LOL! Shoei is made in Japan, and the quality is great.

But truly, go to Cycle Gear, try on multiple helmets, see which one fits you the best, and then try it out, you have NOTHING to lose. Just don't by a crappy $50 Bilt helmet. Those things scare me.

- Peggy (fishrscary)
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKat600 View Post
In the description for the HJC CL-16 it states:

I'd imagine this airflow is what dries your eyes out. Borrow a different helmet from a buddy or something and see if the issue persists.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboymedic View Post
On many helmets you can adjust the side pieces towards the rear to help seal the visor against the helmet. I would recommend checking that. I actually need to do the same thing on my Arai because it leaks water.
thanks for the input yall gona go check and see if i can adjust the shield and get some expensive saline hitting up cycle gear isnt a bad idea either lol

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Motorcycle Talk


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed