Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
Shredder
Alpine 318is's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
From: Kirkland, Washington

I Ride: 2003 Kawasaki ZX-6R
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Alpine 318is, eh?

I've got a Bronzit 325is.

Cool Man!!! I actually haven't had that car since 2007. I guess I should be Graphite 330i

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 10-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #22
Moto2 Contender
Avboden's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: from Wa, living on Grenada (island)

I Ride: 1991 XR250L, 2007 BMW F800S, 1999 ATK 605 ESDS/SM
Pricing was released earlier this month. Pretty dang reasonable when compared to the competition.

$19,990, $20,525, or $24,995 for the one with tons of extras.

So other than the base model, it comes in well cheaper than the Panigale S or S Tricolore with way more toys too.

“ Quote:
Woodcliff Lake, NJ – October 2, 2012...BMW Motorrad announced pricing for the highly anticipated 2013 HP4 at the Intermot Show in Cologne, Germany today. The new HP4, the lightest 4-cylinder supersports bike in its class, will have a base Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $19,990. It will be available for purchase through authorized BMW Motorrad dealers by the end of 2012.

The base model comes equipped with:
• DDC (Dynamic Damping Control) semi active suspension (a world first in production motorcycle construction)
• Launch control for optimal acceleration
• Akrapovic full titanium exhaust
• Seven-spoke forged aluminum wheels in gloss black
• Radial Brembo Monobloc brake calipers
• Race ABS with new IDM calibration
• DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) with new 14-step adjustability
• Gear shift assistant

The Standard Package (offered at an MSRP of $20,525) includes base equipment as well as:
• A Pillion Rider Package (priced at $285) featuring a rear seat and rear footrests to accommodate a rear pillion rider
• Heated Grips

The Premium Package (offered at an MSRP of $24,995) includes base equipment as well as:

• A Competition Package (priced at $4,470) featuring

-- HP carbon engine spoiler
-- HP carbon trim
-- HP folding clutch and brake levers
-- HP rider footrests – adjustable
-- Forged aluminum wheels in Racing Blue Metallic
-- Sponsor decal kit (not mounted)
• Pillion Rider Package (described above)
• Heated Grips

Optional extras – priced separately – include heated grips ($250) and an anti-theft alarm ($395).

Making its world press debut today in Cologne, the new HP4 is based on the popular BMW S 1000 RR superbike and combines lightweight, massive power with razor sharp handling. The 2013 HP4 is a continuation of BMW Motorrad's HP model series founded in 2005. Following the boxer models HP2 Enduro, HP2 Megamoto and HP2 Sport, the BMW HP4 is the first 4-cylinder motorcycle in the HP family and the most advanced production sporting motorcycle ever built. Offered with its own distinctive multi-color paint finish in Racing Blue Metallic / Light White/Sapphire Black Metallic, the HP4 will only be available in limited numbers.

Unified Destination and Handling charges through authorized BMW Motorrad Dealers in the U.S. is an additional $495.

A complete press release with model specifications and images can be accessed via the link below: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__7668

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #23
Shredder
scollins's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Renton WA

I Ride: to StarDuc's....
I think Ducati's Skyhook is actually the first semi-active suspension in a production motorcycle, not the claim that BMW is making.

Some of those options on the HP4 sound interesting for a race-inspired bike, like heated grips? WTH?

I personally don't see the value in the Premium package. If I were to buy one, I'd opt for the base package. I don't need pillion capability, and if I want heated grips, I'd be riding a Multistrada or GS......

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by scollins; 10-26-2012 at 02:41 PM..
 
Old 10-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
Bat Crazed
Jims08Z06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: WA
There is just one problem. It's called product availability, when I checked with BMW of Fife 253-582-1838 . I talked with the Sales Manager who informed me that it is coming; But according to him all the units destined for America are already sold. (somewhere around 26k) If I were to sell the R1, I wanted something that was exceptional & limited. PS guess it's Limited...AJ

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #25
ninjaofdoom's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
From: Renton

I Ride: Something new every 1k miles.
Current owners of the S1kRR should be getting that improved Traction COntrol algorithms for free. Stupid that you need a new model for it.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
Novice Racer
Wyckedan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Seattle, Wa

I Ride: 2012 RSV4 Factory APRC with OPRT
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims08Z06 View Post
There is just one problem. It's called product availability, when I checked with BMW of Fife 253-582-1838 . I talked with the Sales Manager who informed me that it is coming; But according to him all the units destined for America are already sold. (somewhere around 26k) If I were to sell the R1, I wanted something that was exceptional & limited. PS guess it's Limited...AJ
That's ok, MV Agusta has you covered. The "new" F4RR is looking mighty nice. http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91452.html

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #27
Moto2 Contender
Avboden's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: from Wa, living on Grenada (island)

I Ride: 1991 XR250L, 2007 BMW F800S, 1999 ATK 605 ESDS/SM
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaofdoom View Post
Current owners of the S1kRR should be getting that improved Traction COntrol algorithms for free. Stupid that you need a new model for it.
I really doubt it's JUST algorithms, there's going to be some serious hardware changes as well especially computer wise with the suspension.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims08Z06 View Post
There is just one problem. It's called product availability, when I checked with BMW of Fife 253-582-1838 . I talked with the Sales Manager who informed me that it is coming; But according to him all the units destined for America are already sold. (somewhere around 26k) If I were to sell the R1, I wanted something that was exceptional & limited. PS guess it's Limited...AJ
Knowing BMW...it's likely they're all presold to dealers, not necessarily to people. Big ones tend to hog bikes. Once they start rolling out I bet you'd be able to find one. If you're really interested, I'd call Southsound BMW, if anyone can get ahold of one around here it's them.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I think Ducati's Skyhook is actually the first semi-active suspension in a production motorcycle, not the claim that BMW is making.

Some of those options on the HP4 sound interesting for a race-inspired bike, like heated grips? WTH?

I personally don't see the value in the Premium package. If I were to buy one, I'd opt for the base package. I don't need pillion capability, and if I want heated grips, I'd be riding a Multistrada or GS......

HP4 was announced well before the 2013 Multistrada, so their claim as the first still stands.

don't diss heated grips till you've tried them. Add very little weight and a LOT of comfort. Who cares what bike? If you want them, it's SWEET that it's an option!

I agree with you on the premium package, it's mostly a ton of money for some carbon fiber goodies and the HP rearsets. given, the HP rearsets are pretty damn amazing, but alone they're a grand!

I'd get the mid package with the pillon stuff if I ever needed and heated grips because heated grips are awesome. Oh, and then option on the security system.

At the mid package it's a few grand cheaper than a APRC ape, and WAYYY cheaper than the equivalent Panigale.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #28
Moderator
Are_Six's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: Seattle

I Ride: A badelynge of Duc's


Get the MV. More torque at a lower RPM. More power at a higher RPM. Way better engine. Plus it's symmetrical. If heated grips are your thing, I'm sure you can get some aftermarket ones.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #29
Licensed
S1KRR's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Renton, WA

I Ride: BMW S1000RR, Husky TR650 Terra
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Are_Six View Post

Get the MV. More torque at a lower RPM. More power at a higher RPM. Way better engine. Plus it's symmetrical. If heated grips are your thing, I'm sure you can get some aftermarket ones.
I don't think you read that article very closely if you are saying the MV has a way better engine. You missed this part of their review:

However, our dyno chart reveals a huge difference in each machine’s trace. The S1000RR is a model for crisp, well-refined EFI tuning, with its power curve showing a clean, smooth arc. Meanwhile, the F4RR’s graph is all over the map, dipping and peaking constantly throughout the run. This was especially noticeable on track, as we’ll soon discover.

Fuel mapping on the F4RR is astoundingly ill-refined, with Tom noting “on/off throttle can be abrupt.” Further, Tom and I noticed considerable lag when entering the straight and giving ’er full stick. Take another gander at the dyno chart above to see what we mean.
Notice the MV’s power curve peaks and dives with a few flat spots thrown in. In the real world the response is similar to turbo lag. With the throttle to the stop on the front straight, power feels lackluster for a moment until a surge of power suddenly leaps to the fore and activates warp drive. It’s just annoying on the straight, but downright spooky should it happen while leaned over.
This incredibly poor fueling ranks near the bottom of the numerous bikes we’ve tested in recent memory. When the feeling between the rider’s right hand and the rear tire is unpredictable, rider confidence takes a hit. That said, once the MV is singing at full song, it does emit an intoxicating bellow from the intake stacks which adds to its appeal.


http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91452.html

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
WMRRA 1st VP
Gotama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: Kent

I Ride: lawnmower
every damn time there is a BMW thread in comes AV reminds me of this kid

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #31
Novice Racer
Wyckedan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Seattle, Wa

I Ride: 2012 RSV4 Factory APRC with OPRT
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by S1KRR View Post
I don't think you read that article very closely if you are saying the MV has a way better engine. You missed this part of their review
That's nothing that half an hour in the Dyno booth won't solve. Plus it'll pick up a few more ponies as well. The BMW has been tuned perfectly out of the factory, whereas the Mv isn't.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #32
Racer Extraordinaire
theJrod's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
From: w
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Are_Six View Post


Get the MV. More torque at a lower RPM. More power at a higher RPM. Way better engine.
Did you even look at the chart you posted? They're nearly identical (except for the MV's shitty map).

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #33
Licensed
Xunal's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Portland, OR
Someone locally has a deposit down on the Premium model...forget what it's called exactly...

He's.....rather excited about it.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #34
Moto2 Contender
courier11sec's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
From: where they don't have lawns.

I Ride: on the storm.
Heated grips are sweet.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
Bat Crazed
Jims08Z06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: WA
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaofdoom View Post
Current owners of the S1kRR should be getting that improved Traction COntrol algorithms for free. Stupid that you need a new model for it.
Its more than improved traction control. Full titanium Akrapovic exhaust. extensive use of carbon parts. Electronic suspension (Dynamic Damping Control ) that adjusts to road conditions 100 times per second. DTC system's lean-angle sensor decides whether the bike is accelerating, decelerating or cornering and alters the suspension damping accordingly. It has baseline damping settings for the riders weight. Launch & Wheelie control, in first & second gear.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyckedan View Post
That's ok, MV Agusta has you covered. The "new" F4RR is looking mighty nice. http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91452.html

I have lusted for one for years. Then the company was sold, then resold and I became worried about product support in the future??? One thing is for sure if I went exotic it would be BMW, Apillia RSV4, Duc 1199 Panigale, MV Agusta F4RR Corsacorta for sure. Since deciding to continue riding, I seem set on something rare and I don't mind the tinkering. PS anyone interested in a mint R1...AJ

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Jims08Z06; 10-26-2012 at 08:02 PM..
 
Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #36
Novice Racer
Wyckedan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Seattle, Wa

I Ride: 2012 RSV4 Factory APRC with OPRT
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims08Z06 View Post
Its more than improved traction control. Full titanium Akrapovic exhaust. extensive use of carbon parts. Electronic suspension (Dynamic Damping Control ) that adjusts to road conditions 100 times per second. DTC system's lean-angle sensor decides whether the bike is accelerating, decelerating or cornering and alters the suspension damping accordingly. It has baseline damping settings for the riders weight. Launch & Wheelie control, in first & second gear.


I have lusted for one for years. Then the company was sold, then resold and I became worried about product support in the future??? One thing is for sure if I went exotic it would be BMW, Apillia RSV4, Duc 1199 Panigale, MV Agusta F4RR Corsacorta for sure. Since deciding not to sell my R1, I seem set on something rare and I don't mind the tinkering. PS anyone interested in a mint R1...AJ
I've been lusting after the Aprilia lately. After riding the S1000RR and then riding my R6 right afterwards, I realized just how light ad nimble it is. The BMW felt like a tank in comparison. The Ape is the closest thing in size, but with heaps of power to go with it. And let's not forget about the sound the V4 makes....

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #37
Bat Crazed
Jims08Z06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: WA
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyckedan View Post
I've been lusting after the Aprilia lately. After riding the S1000RR and then riding my R6 right afterwards, I realized just how light ad nimble it is. The BMW felt like a tank in comparison. The Ape is the closest thing in size, but with heaps of power to go with it. And let's not forget about the sound the V4 makes....
I have thought about the Aprilia too. I watched a review of the older MV and the rider complained about the riding position being extremely uncomfortable. What drew me to the BMW is the German engineering, bullet proof. Maybe it's a thing of the past but the Italian bikes were trick, fast, but needed constant maintenance? I knew of one Duc owner who finally gave up, but his bike was more than a decade old. Other than BMW wonder if one could get a test, to see. That's a big investment to let an unknown ride off on. I have till spring, and I'm thinking hard about it. Even broke the news to my GF who didn't seem amazed at all. PS she was the one who said don't sell your gear if you sell the R1, cuz you will ride again...AJ

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Jims08Z06; 10-26-2012 at 08:15 PM..
 
Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #38
Moto2 Contender
Avboden's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: from Wa, living on Grenada (island)

I Ride: 1991 XR250L, 2007 BMW F800S, 1999 ATK 605 ESDS/SM
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims08Z06 View Post
I have thought about the Aprilia too. I watched a review of the older MV and the rider complained about the riding position being extremely uncomfortable. What drew me to the BMW is the German engineering, bullet proof. Maybe it's a thing of the past but the Italian bikes were trick, fast, but needed constant maintenance? I knew of one Duc owner who finally gave up, but his bike was more than a decade old. Other than BMW wonder if one could get a test, to see. That's a big investment to let an unknown ride off on. I have till spring, and I'm thinking hard about it. Even broke the news to my GF who didn't seem amazed at all. PS she was the one who said don't sell your gear if you sell the R1, cuz you will ride again...AJ
You're about to have people tell you that BMW's aren't nearly as reliable as they once were. It IS true. However, it doesn't mean the whole bike range. Other than some early issues in 2010 and then the recall on the 2012 bikes (manufacturing issue, had to retighten all connecting rod bolts, all fixed now), the S1000RRs have been pretty bullet proof. Sure you'll hear of an issue here or there but you have to remember, people are way more likely to report bad than good. Long story short, you won't have to worry about reliability with an S1000RR. Any bike in the F series though..look out.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #39
Bat Crazed
Jims08Z06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: WA
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
You're about to have people tell you that BMW's aren't nearly as reliable as they once were. It IS true. However, it doesn't mean the whole bike range. Other than some early issues in 2010 and then the recall on the 2012 bikes (manufacturing issue, had to retighten all connecting rod bolts, all fixed now), the S1000RRs have been pretty bullet proof. Sure you'll hear of an issue here or there but you have to remember, people are way more likely to report bad than good. Long story short, you won't have to worry about reliability with an S1000RR. Any bike in the F series though..look out.
Thanks, It would be the S1000RR if it's a BMW. My brother in AZ bought the shaft drive with the hard bags last year and just loves it. Can't remember the model designation as cruisers are not my thing...AJ

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #40
Peg Dragger
shakazulu12's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
From: Portland, OR

I Ride: Melbs5150's momma
Road Racing World has a review on it in this months issue. They liked everything but the suspension interestingly enough.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Motorcycle Talk

Tags
eat a sponge gannon, f1 tech, i <3 heated grips, spammerkraut


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed