Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #21
Superbiker
Wyckedan's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Seattle, Wa

I Ride: An 06 R6 with OPRT
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
so the 300, 636 and 10R all look almost identical.

I mean, they all look GOOD, it's a cool design, but still, that's kinda lame.
Like GSXR 600/750/1000 look any different from each other

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Wyckedan; 09-14-2012 at 07:12 AM..
 

Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #22
Endorsed
PDXGSXR's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Portland

I Ride: 05' GSXR600 Anniversary
I think the important thing here is that a bike company is introducing new models, that means investment in R&D and that's a very strong signal that the market is/has bounced back and that cool things are on the horizon from the manufacturers.

I wonder if BMW will ever finish the S600RR they were reportedly working on before 08'ageddon.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #23
Superbiker
Wyckedan's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Seattle, Wa

I Ride: An 06 R6 with OPRT
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXGSXR View Post
I think the important thing here is that a bike company is introducing new models, that means investment in R&D and that's a very strong signal that the market is/has bounced back and that cool things are on the horizon from the manufacturers.

I wonder if BMW will ever finish the S600RR they were reportedly working on before 08'ageddon.
One could hope. The 2013 R6 has already gone through California emissions testing, and they're saying the motor is exactly the same as the 12, and curb weight the same as well. Maybe Kawi just has a fire lit, and want to start seeing success

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #24
Endorsed
zxCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Seattle

I Ride: 2007 ZX6R & 2011 KX450
Yay, now even more people will refer to my 599cc bike as a "sweet 636 man"

I kind of wish they would stick to the 599cc format..

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #25
Race Qualifier
dwschultzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
From: .
Blog Entries: 2
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
It would not be able to compete in Supersport, as it is not a 600.
This is the reason I don't understand the 636. Why have a bike that will only compete in 600sbk class? Sure it will be eligible for 7500ss/sbk, but you can only race it in one 600 class. Is it that big of a difference? How do they stack up on paper with 750's?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #26
Endorsed
PDXGSXR's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Portland

I Ride: 05' GSXR600 Anniversary
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by dwschultzy View Post
This is the reason I don't understand the 636. Why have a bike that will only compete in 600sbk class? Sure it will be eligible for 7500ss/sbk, but you can only race it in one 600 class. Is it that big of a difference? How do they stack up on paper with 750's?
They're probably just trying to capitalize on the recognition the 636 monikor has in the marketplace. A 750 would compete directly with the GSXR - Suzuki mareswell own 750 as a trademark, they've been the only game in town and if someones actually considering buying a new bike thats not a 600 or a liter, it'll be next to impossible to convince them not to get the 20 year vet vs. the new kawi.

Meanwhile, the 636 name has some pull. I almost bought an 05' 636 - what a fantastic street bike that thing was. I wonder if they'll soften the ergos on the 636 vs. the 600 to make it more of a street than track weapon? The 636 was always the plushest of those 600's, it's a lay-z-boy compared to a K5 gixxer (such as I'm currently riding.)

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #27
Race Qualifier
Stringcheese's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
From: Clarkinsas, WA

I Ride: Whatever's next
Back when Kawi did this before they also made a ZX6rr version that was 599cc so it could race in 600SS classes. Iread the motorcycle.com preview this morning on both the 636 and 300 and they said Kawi has no plans as of yet to produce an rr version to race this time. Makes no sense IMHO. That 300 look pretty damn nice

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by dwschultzy View Post
This is the reason I don't understand the 636. Why have a bike that will only compete in 600sbk class? Sure it will be eligible for 7500ss/sbk, but you can only race it in one 600 class. Is it that big of a difference? How do they stack up on paper with 750's?
427.5 lb wet weight which is very close to the GSXR 750. No HP#'s I've seen yet but the suspension has been upgraded. We'll see if it can compete.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #28
Peg Dragger
stevieb's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Seattle, WA
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringcheese View Post
Back when Kawi did this before they also made a ZX6rr version that was 599cc so it could race in 600SS classes. Iread the motorcycle.com preview this morning on both the 636 and 300 and they said Kawi has no plans as of yet to produce an rr version to race this time. Makes no sense IMHO.
Maybe they are throwing all their eggs in the only basket they have a chance at winning...WSBK with the big 10R??? Kawi has not had a strong presense in AMA and does not seem to have much interest either.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
Race Qualifier
Stringcheese's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
From: Clarkinsas, WA

I Ride: Whatever's next
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
Maybe they are throwing all their eggs in the only basket they have a chance at winning...WSBK with the big 10R??? Kawi has not had a strong presense in AMA and does not seem to have much interest either.
Maybe. That's disappointing though. 2009-12 Zx6r is a shit hot track ride. I always wondered why there wasn't one up top with the suzi's and yamaha's in AMA.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #30
Superbiker
Wyckedan's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Seattle, Wa

I Ride: An 06 R6 with OPRT
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXGSXR View Post
They're probably just trying to capitalize on the recognition the 636 monikor has in the marketplace. A 750 would compete directly with the GSXR - Suzuki mareswell own 750 as a trademark, they've been the only game in town and if someones actually considering buying a new bike thats not a 600 or a liter, it'll be next to impossible to convince them not to get the 20 year vet vs. the new kawi.

Meanwhile, the 636 name has some pull. I almost bought an 05' 636 - what a fantastic street bike that thing was. I wonder if they'll soften the ergos on the 636 vs. the 600 to make it more of a street than track weapon? The 636 was always the plushest of those 600's, it's a lay-z-boy compared to a K5 gixxer (such as I'm currently riding.)
If anyone else (Yamaha preferred) made a 750, I'd be all over it. Just not a Suzuki fan

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #31
Racer Extraordinaire
theJrod's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
From: Marysville, WA

I Ride: w/ Optimum Performance Rider Training
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by shakazulu12 View Post
Ok, I'm not an engine builder, but just reading about the other changes they made with the motor, it sounds like this thing will absolutely rip in supersport trim.

Any actual race shop guys around to confirm/deny? I hope they fixed the issue with chatter on the chassis. Granted, I only look at things from a track perspective, ignore my comments otherwise.
Confirm/deny.. what? That it'll rip? The last 6R typically made the most HP in SS trim of any 600. This one is more better. I'd imagine the new 636 will make a few more ponies in SS trim than the last 6R in SS trim... but I'm not really reaching with this assumption.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by dwschultzy View Post
This is the reason I don't understand the 636. Why have a bike that will only compete in 600sbk class? Sure it will be eligible for 7500ss/sbk, but you can only race it in one 600 class. Is it that big of a difference? How do they stack up on paper with 750's?
Past 636s held their own against other 600s, and in race trim, never really had an advantage. In fact in WERA, a 636 is legal in C Superstock (their 600 SS class).

This one however looks like it could give the gix 750 some decent competition, and I'd consider racing one if they fixed the handling from the last gen.
After all, my 750 is only just on par with a well-built R6...

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #32
Permit
ShaneO's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Aloha-ish

I Ride: 05 636
Im stoked being a 636 lover that they are bringing it back and also that they gave it a sexy front end again!! Took long enough.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #33
DGA
Moderator
DGA's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Portland, Oregon

I Ride: naked
The current ZX6 has hell of an engine on it as it sits, the thing just moves, I'm curious to see what it can do with 36cc more.

As for the chatter, its fork related and some have had success getting it to go away and some have not; tire choice seems to be a big part of it.

So they changed the engine, front, side and bottom fairings, and the rear tail lights, same wheels, tank (but with Ninja lettering on it instead of Kawasaki), same rear sets, wheels, instrument panel, seat, passenger seat, and a muffler that's uglier (to me) and bigger than the last generation. Overall a mixed bag of old and new styling, hopefully the ride is not a mixed bag since the current generation was head and tail above the previous. Let's hope this one follows the same trend.

Also, this seems hokey "...left fork leg gets preload adjustability while the right leg has the damping adjusters..." It's more like one gets rebound and the other gets compression while both have preload. This is how my Speed Triple is. Having preload adjustment on only one spring out of two seems very odd to me, even though they move in unison.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by DGA; 09-14-2012 at 01:51 PM..
 
Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #34
Endorsed
Perfecto's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: Portland, OR

I Ride: Kawasakiiiii 636
A more detailed article here. More details on the clutch, traction control. It seems that indeed there is one fork for preload and the other for rebound/damping. Odd choice, but I guess it must work, otherwise why go to the trouble of doing something so different.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #35
Mic
Retired
Mic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
From: Between Bellevue, Wa and Hood River, Or
Blog Entries: 26

I Ride: a KLR 650, and an XT 225
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfecto View Post
A more detailed article here. More details on the clutch, traction control. It seems that indeed there is one fork for preload and the other for rebound/damping. Odd choice, but I guess it must work, otherwise why go to the trouble of doing something so different.
What's so different about that? Other manufactures have been doing it for years...

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #36
Peg Dragger
shakazulu12's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
From: Portland, OR

I Ride: Melbs5150's momma
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by theJrod View Post
Confirm/deny.. what? That it'll rip? The last 6R typically made the most HP in SS trim of any 600. This one is more better. I'd imagine the new 636 will make a few more ponies in SS trim than the last 6R in SS trim... but I'm not really reaching with this assumption.


Past 636s held their own against other 600s, and in race trim, never really had an advantage. In fact in WERA, a 636 is legal in C Superstock (their 600 SS class).

This one however looks like it could give the gix 750 some decent competition, and I'd consider racing one if they fixed the handling from the last gen.
After all, my 750 is only just on par with a well-built R6...
Thats what I was getting at, the previous motor kicked major ass. In the past the 636 was allowed to run in the 600's for club racing. Obviously the clubs will have to figure it out this winter.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #37
Streetfighter
Lone Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: Pennisula backroads
Blog Entries: 2

I Ride: a cruzzer
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Capp View Post
I can't understand the idea behind having a 300cc competing for sales with the 250cc. Why not stick with the 250? It's very popular.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyckedan View Post
They aren't getting rid of the 250. It got redesigned too. But the 300 has a much "sportier" engine.
Something like 13hp and 7ft/lbs more, with just an extra 50cc. Bigger rear tire, slipper clutch, and optional ABS. Badass little bike.
He kinda answered your question before you asked it. Besides, have you ridden a 250 Ninja on the street Andy? If you have, you know the answer. They need a added dose of ummph to survive!
I had one for 3 weeks and sold it. Just couldnt get out of its own way above 50.



“ Quote:
Originally Posted by DGA View Post
The current ZX6 has hell of an engine on it as it sits, the thing just moves, I'm curious to see what it can do with 36cc more.
Same thing here.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #38
Knee Dragger
Suzuki Stevo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
From: Seattle, Wa

I Ride: at a speed that allows me to ride again tomorrow GSX650FK8, DL650K5, AN400K7, 2013 WR250R
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
He kinda answered your question before you asked it. Besides, have you ridden a 250 Ninja on the street Andy? If you have, you know the answer. They need a added dose of ummph to survive!
I had one for 3 weeks and sold it. Just couldnt get out of its own way above 50.





Same thing here.
Actually...

"Things change. As of 19th January 2013, new European A2 licensing laws will come into force in the UK. These will allow anyone with a restricted licence to ride a bike of up to 39bhp. To take advantage of this, Kawasaki has upped the capacity of the Ninja from 250 to 296cc. Although the Ninja’s bore is still 62mm, the stroke has been increased and various internal components redesigned."

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...ryId=26361.htm

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #39
Shredder
nsrg500's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Everett. WA

I Ride: GS1150 Rat bike, NSR(G)500cc two stroke,CBR 900rr,98 Super chicken
Just from a "new rider" point of view (I'm not a new rider). I'm so glad they building the smaller bikes to LOOK like the bigger ones. Really gives the first time riders a nice looking bike to ride without needing to ride something that LOOKS like a 250.
To the new rider that might not know a hell of a lot, the new 250's look bad ass.
Half the problem with keeping our new kids from killing themselves is ego.

How many times have told a new rider, "hey check out the 250 Ninja" only to have em say "that's a girl's bike". Just nice to see the noobs out there riding the appropriate bike without looking like a complete dork.

I know the newer style bikes have been out for a while now.
I think it's a great thing for the sport to give the entry level guys/gals a few choice's. Personally, I think all the manufactures should have a trick little 250-300cc bike to offer.

Just sayin.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #40
Permit
NickGEG's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Spokane, WA

I Ride: Ninja 250
Both 'Lone Rider' and 'nsrg500' have valid points. I wish my new 250 had just a tad more umph because having to shift 5 times in rapid-fire succession gets old. At the same time, I am glad I made the decision to get a 250 for my first (jr) sport bike just to learn the basics without having to worry about it getting away from me via an accidental wheelie or whatever. And yeah, having the 250 look sporty was a major selling point for me.

Final thought is that I am looking forward to selling the 250 to another new rider and moving up to 600 style ride, preferably a lightly used one because having to break in a new bike is rather boring.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Motorcycle Talk


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed