mrmat25

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
Captain Pubic
Juilin's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650 or somebody elses.
Thats what I need to test drive next I think. After 3 hours with the DR650, the only glaring complaint I had was the thing feels heavy and (maybe because of its weight/my own 220 weight) the stock suspension feels soft and float-y. None of this stopped me from flogging it and having a blast....picking it up on a hill was a bit of a challenge.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #22
Je Fa Fa
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Monroe-mish, WA
Blog Entries: 5

I Ride: 07 YZ450F, 74 XL350
saturday, come ride my dr650, you'll find out that the suspension is an easy fix.

your stock drz400 will be undersprung for 220 as well, and so will any bike ever, forever, and ever, always.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #23
Peg Dragger
canyon63's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Olympia, WA

I Ride: a slow bike, slow
At 220 I wouldn't recommend a wr250x. I'm 165lbs and with the bike fully modded it hasn't gotten boring yet, but 220 it wouldn't be as peppy. Cheapest route is a drz400sm, unless you want something a little more nutty, ktm or husqvarna

old picture of my wr250x


__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by canyon63; 10-03-2012 at 08:52 PM..
 
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
Peg Dragger
Mxyzptlk's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650r, DRZ 440SM
If you come a little east you can ride my DRZ400. It's not stock and has a lot of $$$ into it. However, I power wheelied it at 60mph today in fourth gear for the first time sitting down.

Only issue, is it looks like this right now:


__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
Captain Pubic
Juilin's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650 or somebody elses.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by koorbloh View Post
saturday, come ride my dr650, you'll find out that the suspension is an easy fix.

your stock drz400 will be undersprung for 220 as well, and so will any bike ever, forever, and ever, always.
I might take you up on that. As far as the weight, I'm working on that 'mod' as we speak.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
Captain Pubic
Juilin's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650 or somebody elses.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
If you come a little east you can ride my DRZ400. It's not stock and has a lot of $$$ into it. However, I power wheelied it at 60mph today in fourth gear for the first time sitting down.

Only issue, is it looks like this right now:

Whereabouts are you in Seattle?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #27
Peg Dragger
Mxyzptlk's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650r, DRZ 440SM
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Juilin View Post
Whereabouts are you in Seattle?
I'm on the other side of the pond.

Right now I'm riding my Ninja 650 while I get my DRZ repaired.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #28
Railer
Ryanthegreat1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
From: Olympia

I Ride: XR650R
Or you could get a big bore street sumo and pull the front off the ground at 60mph and never need to see the insides. (K)eep (T)hrowing (M)oney's included if you get the LC4 power plant.

But big bore street sumos are heavy at 310lbs give or take. But that is also what a full stock DRZ400SM weighs.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #29
Endorsed
Jerryn206's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Seattle, WA

I Ride: 2010 Husky SM510R, 2008 KTM 990 Superduke
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1 View Post
...But big bore street sumos are heavy at 310lbs give or take. But that is also what a full stock DRZ400SM weighs.
My husky weighs about 280lbs wet. It's a ridiculously fun bike.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #30
Pit Crew
D675Freak's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Federal Way, Wa

I Ride: 08 690SMC
Has anyone ever ridden a sumo form of those Aprilia SXVs? Seems like it would be fun.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #31
Peg Dragger
Mxyzptlk's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650r, DRZ 440SM
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by D675Freak View Post
Has anyone ever ridden a sumo form of those Aprilia SXVs? Seems like it would be fun.
For the 5 minutes out of every hour you spend working on them.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #32
Captain Pubic
Juilin's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650 or somebody elses.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1 View Post
Or you could get a big bore street sumo and pull the front off the ground at 60mph and never need to see the insides. (K)eep (T)hrowing (M)oney's included if you get the LC4 power plant.

But big bore street sumos are heavy at 310lbs give or take. But that is also what a full stock DRZ400SM weighs.
Yes. I want that. Is a 400sm considered a big bore?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #33
Licensed
Karburized's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
From: Santa Cruz

I Ride: '98 Super Chicken
I almost feel pity for squiddy sportbike fags.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #34
Peg Dragger
Mxyzptlk's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650r, DRZ 440SM
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Juilin View Post
Yes. I want that. Is a 400sm considered a big bore?
No. A 400sm pumps out 32hp stock. A few more with 3x3 and jet.

DRZ Big bore, cams, exhaust, and carb is 2k+ at $100 per hp. (What the bike should come with stock)

Another $500~ for stroker which is $50 per hp.

You can still have fun with a jetted/3x3 DRZ though.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #35
Railer
Ryanthegreat1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
From: Olympia

I Ride: XR650R
Yeah but then you build a high strung maintenance whore that still does not make as much power and torque as the big bore bikes.

In the naturally aspirated applications, there really is no replacement for displacement.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #36
Endorsed
futureman's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Poulsbo, WA

I Ride: Suzuki DRZ400SM
Love my 400sm, 3x3, jet, fmf powercore/powerbomb, plenty of pep for me. Distanzias don't hurt either.

How it sits minus the powerbomb header...

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #37
Novice Racer
Sentor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
From: Beaverton, OR

I Ride: 2008 R6 Race Bike - #52 - And whatever's in the shop!
Yup, I would either be in jail or my insurance would drop me with one of those things.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #38
Je Fa Fa
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Monroe-mish, WA
Blog Entries: 5

I Ride: 07 YZ450F, 74 XL350
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
No. A 400sm pumps out 32hp stock. A few more with 3x3 and jet.

DRZ Big bore, cams, exhaust, and carb is 2k+ at $100 per hp. (What the bike should come with stock)

Another $500~ for stroker which is $50 per hp.

You can still have fun with a jetted/3x3 DRZ though.
putting a big bore kit on a bike doesn't make it a big bore bike.

big bore kits are available for honda 50's

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #39
Moderator
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
From: Muk, WA
Blog Entries: 4

I Ride: fast, except on the road.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1 View Post
Yeah but then you build a high strung maintenance whore that still does not make as much power and torque as the big bore bikes.
In the naturally aspirated applications, there really is no replacement for displacement.
This is a screaming deal, virtually new, 15 more HP than a DRZ and less weight. Convert to street, get SM wheels, or just a 19" front like me and YEE HAA!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/3311220480.html


__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by PeteN95; 10-04-2012 at 10:35 AM..
 
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #40
Peg Dragger
Mxyzptlk's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650r, DRZ 440SM
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1 View Post
Yeah but then you build a high strung maintenance whore that still does not make as much power and torque as the big bore bikes.

In the naturally aspirated applications, there really is no replacement for displacement.
What? Big bore, cams, exhaust and carb keep the stress-free maintenance cycle of the DRZ. I'm not sure what you're talking about?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Motorcycle Talk

Tags
futute young hooli


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed