mrmat25

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Licensed
blakegaston's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: Bellevue, WA

I Ride: GSXR600 // KTM 450 SMR
I don't care about power, but I do want smoothness.....
I know my experience is the main culprit, and seattime will ultimately be the biggest investment, but perhaps there are a few modifications that can help me along my way.

I've posted threads before inquiring about throttle smoothness, and things of that nature. The main problem I have right now is going through 0% throttle to 1%. The initial crack, and getting back on throttle after letting off is very difficult for me, because of the jerk due to drivetrain slack, or whatever.

Any mods to help alleviate this? Would it be a waste of money, or would a ECU reflash, a tune, or PCV help at all? What about sprockets.. maybe going the opposite direction and sacrificing acceleration for a bit more smoothness? I honestly don't know. I'm still learning mechanically, and in practice. I don't really know many people who ride. I usually learn through trial and error, but unfortunately, with my bike, error could mean death, so online forums are all I got.

Again, I don't care about power. My 600 is plenty fast for me, albeit I ride very conservatively. I just want dat smooooooth.



Thanks for all the information / suggestions.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Peg Dragger
Furious Coder's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Seattle, WA

I Ride: 2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675
Shaft drive?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Dee-von White
Deven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
From: Vancouver, Washington

I Ride: R6 track, SV650S street
practice

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Moto2 Contender
courier11sec's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
From: where they don't have lawns.

I Ride: on the storm.
Adjust your throttle cables.
I bet that's it.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Licensed
blakegaston's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: Bellevue, WA

I Ride: GSXR600 // KTM 450 SMR
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxfox12 View Post
practice
I do, but I get scared. Especially manipulating throttle in a corner. I am trying to pick up a Ninja 250. I think it will be a very good bike for me... I rode my friends and the throttle was very forgiving, and I could focus on BP in corners. I cornered faster on the ninjette and got lower than I ever have on my gix. That being said, a large part of that is because on my gix, I get scared and don't want to ride outside of my comfort level. I also wouldn't like the ninja for city riding, as I do like spirited pulls now and then.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Licensed
blakegaston's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: Bellevue, WA

I Ride: GSXR600 // KTM 450 SMR
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by courier11sec View Post
Adjust your throttle cables.
I bet that's it.

I tried this, adjusting the TPS, and adding a TRE. Unfortunately nothing helped. I am going to try to have the bike serviced at KFG this week, and I'll ask them their thoughts on how the throttle is adjusted.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
Pit Crew
TamiJean's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
From: Spokane, Wa

I Ride: Yamaha R6
practice is really the main key in my opinion. But Bazzaz does make add on traction control systems coupled with their fuel management and quickshift. Spendy but could be what you are looking for.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
Peg Dragger
Khustla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Alabama

I Ride: , we ride!
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by blakegaston View Post
I do, but I get scared. Especially manipulating throttle in a corner. I am trying to pick up a Ninja 250. I think it will be a very good bike for me... I rode my friends and the throttle was very forgiving, and I could focus on BP in corners. I cornered faster on the ninjette and got lower than I ever have on my gix. That being said, a large part of that is because on my gix, I get scared and don't want to ride outside of my comfort level. I also wouldn't like the ninja for city riding, as I do like spirited pulls now and then.
Holy shit, rocking whooliez in corners on a twofiddy???


Change your sprockets, lose the torque and tune your air/fuel.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
WMRRA 1st VP
Gotama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: Kent

I Ride: lawnmower
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by blakegaston View Post
I know my experience is the main culprit, and seattime will ultimately be the biggest investment, but perhaps there are a few modifications that can help me along my way.

I've posted threads before inquiring about throttle smoothness, and things of that nature. The main problem I have right now is going through 0% throttle to 1%. The initial crack, and getting back on throttle after letting off is very difficult for me, because of the jerk due to drivetrain slack, or whatever.

Any mods to help alleviate this? Would it be a waste of money, or would a ECU reflash, a tune, or PCV help at all? What about sprockets.. maybe going the opposite direction and sacrificing acceleration for a bit more smoothness? I honestly don't know. I'm still learning mechanically, and in practice. I don't really know many people who ride. I usually learn through trial and error, but unfortunately, with my bike, error could mean death, so online forums are all I got.

Again, I don't care about power. My 600 is plenty fast for me, albeit I ride very conservatively. I just want dat smooooooth.



Thanks for all the information / suggestions.
go talk to nels
http://2wheeldynoworks.wordpress.com/

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #10
Chicken Strips
DullJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: the Hill Country

I Ride: for escapism
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotama View Post
Seconded. All in favor, say aye.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
WMRRA 1st VP
Gotama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: Kent

I Ride: lawnmower
aye

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #12
Superbiker
UhOh's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Tri-Cities, WA

I Ride: Hither, Thither and Yon ... mostly day rides
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by blakegaston View Post
The main problem I have right now is going through 0% throttle to 1%.
The initial crack, and getting back on throttle after letting off is very difficult for me,
because of the jerk due to drivetrain slack, or whatever.

Any mods to help alleviate this?
Inspect your chain slack. Maybe it's loose.
GSXR's, at least my 1000, spec chain slack at 0.8 - 1.2 inches.

Adjust yours, or have a shop do it, close to the minimum;
be aware that the chain tightens up fast at the end vs. fractional turn.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #13
Track School Dazed
james1300's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
From: CENTRAL

I Ride: When I can
Have you adjusted your throttle cables? Got any slack out of them? Lubed them and the clutch cable (if you have one) as well?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
Endorsed
 
Joined: Sep 2009
From: saint helens, or

I Ride: 2007 gsxr 750
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by blakegaston View Post
I tried this, adjusting the TPS, and adding a TRE. Unfortunately nothing helped. I am going to try to have the bike serviced at KFG this week, and I'll ask them their thoughts on how the throttle is adjusted.
I'm surprised the TRE didn't work. I had the same problem with my 2007, 750.
Installed the TRE and smooth as butter after that.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
Chicken Strips
Pvster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Portland, Oregon

I Ride: 2002 honda 919/cb900f/hornet: the REAL naked bike....
Yup, practice. If you're having to deal with 0-1% throttle openings in the corners, you're doing it wrong I hate to say. You do NOT want to enter a corner off throttle. At least maintain steady throttle to hold a consistent speed, or apply light throttle. Also try bumping up another gear before entering a corner. It sounds like you need to work on better throttle management more than body positioning right now.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #16
Racer Extraordinaire
theJrod's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
From: Marysville, WA

I Ride: w/ Optimum Performance Rider Training
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotama View Post
Another
The late model gixxer 6s are known for having a bit of an abrupt on-off throttle transition. A PC and a tune can help significantly. Nels can even do a tune without the power commander.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
Endorsed
A41Billy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Medford, OR

I Ride: 2006 Yamaha FJR1300
You could get a PC or a G2 throttle tube. The rest is up to you practicing. Use that throttle like a surgeon.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #18
Superbiker
Wyckedan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Seattle, Wa

I Ride: RSV4 Factory APRC with OPRT
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotama View Post
Aye, talk to Nels. He's a wealth of knowledge on what mods do on most every bike. There might be a simple ecu adjustment. But if you're having trouble transitioning from off to the smallest input, you need more seat time. 600's are so forgiving so far down in the power band, there's really not much to worry about. You're most likely not going to highside a 600 going from 0% throttle to 1%.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
Pit Crew
YOUNG HEART 750's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: KLAMATH FALLS, OREGON

I Ride: 09 GSX-R 750 Track 07 Aprilia Tuono Street 09 Yamaha R1 sold
Have you tried your other power modes? If not, give that a try in addition to proper chain and throttle adjustment. The C mode should be mellow enough to take out some of the on/off throttle issues. Once you have mastered that try moving up to the B and A mode.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
Licensed
blakegaston's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: Bellevue, WA

I Ride: GSXR600 // KTM 450 SMR
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG HEART 750 View Post
Have you tried your other power modes? If not, give that a try in addition to proper chain and throttle adjustment. The C mode should be mellow enough to take out some of the on/off throttle issues. Once you have mastered that try moving up to the B and A mode.
The jerky feeling happens regardless of mode. Could nels tune me different tunes that I could select via the mode switch?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Motorcycle Talk


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed