Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #41
Novice Racer
Debi's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Renton, WA

I Ride: 05 KTM450SMR, 04 YZF250 and one bad ass Truck hehe
I know all to well how helmets need to work hehe. I've been knocked out wearing a street helmets (shoei and arai) and dirt helmets and they both work in the dirt and street and still knock ya out when you hit hard enough.

Me personally I feel dirt helmets work fine on the street and well all have saved my ass so if I know it will be all street riding with no dirt at all I will grab my street helmet but if I know there will be a bit of dirt I grab my dirt helmet

Oh and crashing at 75+ mph in the dirt and surviving (ok long as stay in the hospital and years of rehab) I think any helmet is better than none


Yes i speak from experience and like gatecrasher I keep this one to remind me of why I wear one
Motorcycle Talk

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 10-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #42
Streetfighter
Mitch F's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: The Ham

I Ride: every god damn day
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by koorbloh View Post
my mx and ds helmets are full face helmets, not 3/4 or half helmets.

let's compare apples to apples, mmkay?
Well then let's not use DOT ratings as evidence of safety, mmkay?

First, street helmets have thicker padding, thus absorbing more impact (well, slowing the rate of deceleration of your head) and will protect better in a real head knocker. You know, like hitting concrete.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi
I know for a "FACT" that dirt helmets hold up in tarmac crashes and offer just as much protection BTW.. i'm not talking 120 mph or over silly.
And that has no bearing on anything, people crash without helmets every day and don't suffer major head injuries. So by your logic crashing without a helmet is just as safe as crashing with anything else?

Second. The protruding chin area of a MX helmet is designed to vent better, but also creates a longer lever arm on your spine when it hits something, resulting in a greater likelihood of neck injuries. Nobody likes being paralyzed (so I've heard). And Debi so graciously reminded us, they're thin, and that extra force can break them. The same goes for visors (I've broken my fair share of visors as I'm sure most offroad riders have), whereas faceshields are designed to break away to keep from doing EXACTLY that after a hard hit. Nobody likes shards of plastic/fiberglass in their face (so I've heard).

Seems like simple stuff (read; common sense) to me

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #43
Pit Crew
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: SoKingCo, WA

I Ride: ... here and there
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch F View Post
Well then let's not use DOT ratings as evidence of safety, mmkay?
Then, what do you consider acceptable publicly published standards? Snell and DOT okay? ECE 22.05? UK SHARP?
If I'm wearing a Bell Moto, or a Shoei full-face street, they both have Snell and DOT. I'm comfortable with those standards both on my helmets, in dirt, asphalt, or a little of both.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch F View Post
First, street helmets have thicker padding, thus absorbing more impact (well, slowing the rate of deceleration of your head) and will protect better in a real head knocker. You know, like hitting concrete.
Really? You think the padding is the designed element to protect your head from the impact energy?




“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch F View Post
Second. The protruding chin area of a MX helmet is designed to vent better, but also creates a longer lever arm on your spine when it hits something, resulting in a greater likelihood of neck injuries. Nobody likes being paralyzed (so I've heard). And Debi so graciously reminded us, they're thin, and that extra force can break them. The same goes for visors (I've broken my fair share of visors as I'm sure most offroad riders have), whereas faceshields are designed to break away to keep from doing EXACTLY that after a hard hit. Nobody likes shards of plastic/fiberglass in their face (so I've heard).

Seems like simple stuff (read; common sense) to me
The chin bar can do as you say. How has it happened to you? Have you had face shields break?

I'm not promoting a MX/dirt helmet as better, but it's design has advantages (so I've heard; and experienced). It may not be the best option for the street, but can provide good safety if it's a known quality piece of equipment.
The Arai XDs are also a nice combination for certain applications, as Pete said.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #44
Streetfighter
Mitch F's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: The Ham

I Ride: every god damn day
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by DM47 View Post
Then, what do you consider acceptable publicly published standards? Snell and DOT okay? ECE 22.05? UK SHARP?
If I'm wearing a Bell Moto, or a Shoei full-face street, they both have Snell and DOT. I'm comfortable with those standards both on my helmets, in dirt, asphalt, or a little of both.
I'm not saying MX helmets aren't "safe", but they sure as shit are not AS safe on tarmac as a helmet DESIGNED FOR ASPHALT. DOT and SNELL ratings are good (although some tests show SNELL rated helmets to be MORE dangerous than non-SNELL) but to say that one DOT rated helmet is just as safe as another is bullshit (haven't we been over this?).



“ Quote:
Originally Posted by DM47 View Post
Really? You think the padding is the designed element to protect your head from the impact energy?

YES. Not "yes" as in "I think so", "yes" as in "I KNOW so". The shell DISTRIBUTES the force of the impact across a broader area of the helmet, and the padding ABSORBS it. VERY simple. That's why you replace your helmet after a crash, because the foam in the area has compacted and can no longer properly absorb impact.


“ Quote:
Originally Posted by DM47 View Post
The chin bar can do as you say. How has it happened to you? Have you had face shields break?
I have never had a faceshield break in all the times I've hit the ground (one of which would have most CERTAINLY killed me from head trauma). I have also never broken the chin bar. I HAVE broken plenty of visors however.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Motorcycle Talk


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed