Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #41
Moderator
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
From: Muk, WA
Blog Entries: 4

I Ride: fast, except on the road.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker View Post
Your theory doesn't work because in a lowside there is more surface area scraping the ground, thus slowing you down faster (ie. you/side of bike). If you stand it up, only your tires are making contact thus you are slowing down...slower. That and lowside v/s highside is a no brainer.
No, you are wrong. Tigress initially misunderstood my suggestion of trying to lean farther over instead of simply sitting up in a curve and riding off the edge of the road, but others clarified my thought. What she was stating is that the old theory of "laying it down" if unable to stop before hitting an object is a poor choice because you will slow down faster by braking with both tires than sliding on your side. Tires may only have a relatively small contact patch, but they have very good adhesion, unlike plastic bodywork, metal, or crash sliders.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #42
Moderator
KevinD's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Spokane Valley

I Ride: Suzuki Boulevard C90, Suzuki DRZ400E, My Wife's Scooter
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Guy View Post
I like it in my Bourbon, not under my motorcycle tires!

Use the former all the time, the latter, never!

Dusty
Why dilute good bourbon?


KevinD

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #43
Cone Head
Bald Guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: Kennewick Wa

I Ride: Because all the cool kids do!
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
Why dilute good bourbon?


KevinD
Just a bad habit I have developed drinking bad Bourbon. I think Good Bourbon is the key phrase.

Dusty

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 11-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #44
Retired
Tigress's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
From: Lynnwood

I Ride: Nothing, sold the Rebel, totaled the Ninja 500 :( :( :(
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker View Post
Your theory doesn't work because in a lowside there is more surface area scraping the ground, thus slowing you down faster (ie. you/side of bike). If you stand it up, only your tires are making contact thus you are slowing down...slower. That and lowside v/s highside is a no brainer.
Friction doesn't work that way. Your gear/plastic of motorcycle is much slippier than those sticky tires.

To make it more obvious (obviously a drastic example), do you think you'd stop sooner on your tires or one large slab of wet ice that had 10x contact with the ground than your tires?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #45
Moto2 Contender
Transported's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
From: Portland, Oregon
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: '06 FZ1, '99 R1, '80 Suz GS450S
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
Friction doesn't work that way. Your gear/plastic of motorcycle is much slippier than those sticky tires.

To make it more obvious (obviously a drastic example), do you think you'd stop sooner on your tires or one large slab of wet ice that had 10x contact with the ground than your tires?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I think it would be a toss up. [And, then a spectacular crash either way.]

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Motorcycle Talk


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed