Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #61
Peg Dragger
wsmc831's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
From: Terrebonne

I Ride: 1997 TL1000S, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2013 KTM 500 Exc, 2008 KTM 530 Xcw, 1290 (as soon as it arrives)
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Danep21 View Post
hahaha. Thanks Everyone. I enjoy all the advice, and i have no problem taking criticism. Im not going to put a whole lot of money into it, since it will go down at some point. After the BRT Course, and after the required miles, i want to take the Intermediate course. I have nothing against learning and training, and am willing to get all that I can.

Thanks Everyone

Hmmm. New sportbike, Newberg...sounds familiar. Oh yea..that was me! Course, it was also 1992 and the bike was a 91 F2.

Remember, crashing is not required...or a certainty.

Just trust the bike, it's capable of things you can't imagine at this point. Getting into a corner too hot and grabbing too much front brake is almost a cliche among new riders. Always relax and lean, it'll make it.

Go Tigers!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 01-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #62
Pit Crew
Danep21's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Newberg/Portland, Oregon

I Ride: ...... with training wheels?
Ahahaah a NHS Graduate heh? Small Effing World. Ya, with the Technology nowadays, i know that if the shit hits the fan, that i need to trust the bike. If i take care of it, it will take care of me. Unless im being stupid or disrespecting it of course. To be honest, as im standing right now, with the immense power of the bike, and my lack of experience, their is much respect for the bike, but with all the input from you guys, and reading all the different 'Noob' threads, advice threads, and 'what i did wrong' threads, and im doing my best to learn from other people mistakes, and I am taking all advice i can to heart, using a common sense filter. But what i have ridden on it so far, i feel comfortable, and am learning to be smooth in everything i do, because i know that something sudden or last minute could be the end.

Thanks for everything guys, and gals. I really look forward to getting out and tagging along with you guys this spring/summer/fall

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #63
Banned Camp
Ed Who?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Portland, OR

I Ride: 96' ZX-7RRwsbk & 07' R6 sbk
just remember too, the 09 CBR600RR is retarded badly stock for USA. Down over 5rwhp from 2007-2008 models. EZ fix, but you'll really notice it on trackdays. Just fyi.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #64
Licensed
Squiddly Van Dickweed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Oregon

I Ride: Zx10r
Welcome!! Nothing wrong with adding some fresh swag to your new ride...but make sure you outfit your body just as much. Leather bottoms (pants), a must! Don't get ankle high boots, get the boots that go mid calf and that have the most ankle support possible. Don't skimp on gloves...the first pair of gloves I bought for street riding now make me cringe. Check out Helds, high end A-stars or anything with armor over the knuckles, fingers and up the gauntlet...fingers can get ground off in a crash. Please resist the temptation to ride until you have your endorsement...the cops are checking (you meet the profile) and the fine is quite large. One last thing, if you can, ride the motorcycles that Team Oregon provides for the training course. They will have you doing some very slow, tight parking lot style maneuvering, and dropping a bike is surprisingly easy. Better their bike, then your sweet 600rr. Good luck buddy!!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #65
Railer
lagwagonlead's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
From: Pullman
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: 600RR
Hey nice bike, that's on my top 5 list of "if I had the money" bikes. Instead of wasting your time with the stock exhaust just buy a slip-on. It's not too much $$$ and it adds looks and a nice sound. There's a lot of gear heads and safety freaks on here, take in what they say in moderation and use some not-so-common sense. Looks to me like you're doing everything right...

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #66
Pit Crew
Danep21's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Newberg/Portland, Oregon

I Ride: ...... with training wheels?
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Who? View Post
just remember too, the 09 CBR600RR is retarded badly stock for USA. Down over 5rwhp from 2007-2008 models. EZ fix, but you'll really notice it on trackdays. Just fyi.
Thanks Eric, Ya i read this. lol. Nothing a little tuning cant take care of . I plan on swinging by and picking up left and right side case savers from you, FYI. I plan on Motocorsa saturday.... so maybe i'll swing by, gotta check your hours first though.


“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddly Van Dickweed View Post
Welcome!! Nothing wrong with adding some fresh swag to your new ride...but make sure you outfit your body just as much. Leather bottoms (pants), a must! Don't get ankle high boots, get the boots that go mid calf and that have the most ankle support possible. Don't skimp on gloves...the first pair of gloves I bought for street riding now make me cringe. Check out Helds, high end A-stars or anything with armor over the knuckles, fingers and up the gauntlet...fingers can get ground off in a crash. Please resist the temptation to ride until you have your endorsement...the cops are checking (you meet the profile) and the fine is quite large. One last thing, if you can, ride the motorcycles that Team Oregon provides for the training course. They will have you doing some very slow, tight parking lot style maneuvering, and dropping a bike is surprisingly easy. Better their bike, then your sweet 600rr. Good luck buddy!!

Ya, im deffinetly not the type to skimp on protection. Got the Arai Vector Helmet, Some A-Star gloves with the Carbon Fiber Knuckler, and a scorpion jacket (so far). I have been spending a LOT of time search for some leather pants that i like, I am actually really interested in completely outfitting on Dainese Gear. Im leaning towards the Dainese Delta PRD Pelle Leather Pants, in Black and White color scheme, and i want the Dainese Izalco Tessuto Jacket, in Black and White. But i already have a jacket for now. Boots and pants are my priority at the moment. Deffinetly dont plan on using my bike for the Team Oregon Course.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by lagwagonlead View Post
Hey nice bike, that's on my top 5 list of "if I had the money" bikes. Instead of wasting your time with the stock exhaust just buy a slip-on. It's not too much $$$ and it adds looks and a nice sound. There's a lot of gear heads and safety freaks on here, take in what they say in moderation and use some not-so-common sense. Looks to me like you're doing everything right...
Ya, i have done a lot, a LOT of looking. But, I think I am going to wait to buy exhaust untill i get a handle on the bike as it is in its stock form, that way i can appreciate the power difference a little more. Also, slip-ons are cheaper, and if I got one, it will be the Jardine, or Akrapovic, but still, thats $500-$700.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #67
Pit Crew
Danep21's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Newberg/Portland, Oregon

I Ride: ...... with training wheels?
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Who? View Post
just remember too, the 09 CBR600RR is retarded badly stock for USA. Down over 5rwhp from 2007-2008 models. EZ fix, but you'll really notice it on trackdays. Just fyi.
Glad to see your back on the forum

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #68
Licensed
Bolestuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
From: Portland

I Ride: 1999 Honda VFR800 2006 Honda 599 Hornet
I would watch this forum and CL for a set of boots. I got a like new set of A-Starts for $100 bucks with some looking. Lots of people get in and out of riding every year so there is always stuff floating around. Cheers to another rider

PS: See Sig.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #69
Pit Crew
sinco54's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Oregon City

I Ride: With The Salem Hooligans-
[QUOTE=Danep21;1996937]I didnt know this! Thank you! I am thinking I will probably swap them out sometime in the near future for some protons[/QUOTEI thought this law only pertained to rear signals...
Im leaving my 3.5 inches of area on the rear.. salem has pulled me over twice in the past for aftermarker rears...

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #70
Pit Crew
Danep21's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Newberg/Portland, Oregon

I Ride: ...... with training wheels?
Just got home from motocorsa.... wooow! Will deffinetly go there again, possibly just to look at the showroom. Brian is the guy that helped me get fitted into some boots. I tried on Dianese Axial Regulars, which were to narrow for my foot, and i tried on some Sidi's. Decided to go with the Sidi Vertigo Air's, in black. They had to order them, but i had absolutely zero problem spending my money with them. Brian was extremely helpful, and very patient. Honestly, Customer Service couldnt have been better. With all the Ducati's and Aprilias there, I had to think thoughts... that didnt arouse me... hahahah.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #71
Pit Crew
Danep21's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Newberg/Portland, Oregon

I Ride: ...... with training wheels?
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by sinco54 View Post
I thought this law only pertained to rear signals...
Im leaving my 3.5 inches of area on the rear.. salem has pulled me over twice in the past for aftermarker rears...
Can someone Clarify? Are the flush mounts legal in the front? And what is the law for rear signals? an LEO's input would be preferred.....?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #72
Moderator
lena's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Portland, OR
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: Monsters
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Danep21 View Post
Can someone Clarify? Are the flush mounts legal in the front? And what is the law for rear signals? an LEO's input would be preferred.....?
Do a little search in the Ask the Officer section. Or in Salem forum (they have had too much experience with that). It has all been answered a few times, I don't remember the exact answers.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #73
Peg Dragger
wsmc831's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
From: Terrebonne

I Ride: 1997 TL1000S, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2013 KTM 500 Exc, 2008 KTM 530 Xcw, 1290 (as soon as it arrives)
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Danep21 View Post
Just got home from motocorsa.... wooow! Will deffinetly go there again, possibly just to look at the showroom. Brian is the guy that helped me get fitted into some boots. I tried on Dianese Axial Regulars, which were to narrow for my foot, and i tried on some Sidi's. Decided to go with the Sidi Vertigo Air's, in black. They had to order them, but i had absolutely zero problem spending my money with them. Brian was extremely helpful, and very patient. Honestly, Customer Service couldnt have been better. With all the Ducati's and Aprilias there, I had to think thoughts... that didnt arouse me... hahahah.
Sidi's make great boots, good purchase.

btw, adding a slip on, while 'cool', will give you maybe a few hp you can't use yet, and attract attention, some you won't want. OEM exhausts are really good, and light these days anyway.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #74
Pit Crew
Danep21's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Newberg/Portland, Oregon

I Ride: ...... with training wheels?
Exactly my reason for not buying one. I dont want, nor do I need the few extra HP at this point in riding, besides, I am going to lay it down edventually, and i dont want to fuck up a $600 exhaust on the process.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #75
Superbiker
ddonacazx12's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Camas, Washington

I Ride: 05 zx12r
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Danep21 View Post
...I am going to lay it down edventually, and i dont want to fuck up a $600 exhaust on the process.
Portland Region


She aint the prettiest girl at the dance, but she'll get the job done.



(better to r2 a $50 pipe saver than a $300 can)

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #76
Pit Crew
Danep21's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Newberg/Portland, Oregon

I Ride: ...... with training wheels?
Just got done putting in my HIDS, i absolutely love the way they look, and they light up the road really well.... but the install was REEEDICULOUS! I couldnt find a fucking spot to mount the ballasts... and once i did... i wasn't able to get the mother fucking fairings back on, because the ballasts were in the way!!! Took me 5 hours to do them! Thats rediculous! My back and left knee is killing me. Bed Time

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #77
Pit Crew
Danep21's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Newberg/Portland, Oregon

I Ride: ...... with training wheels?
HIDS!!

First two Pics are Stock Bulbs, Then the Warming Up of the 8000k Low, and 3000k High

Portland Region
Portland Region
Portland Region
Portland Region
Portland Region
Portland Region

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #78
Pit Crew
Danep21's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Newberg/Portland, Oregon

I Ride: ...... with training wheels?
Portland Region
Portland Region
Portland Region
Portland Region
Portland Region
Portland Region
Portland Region

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #79
Superbiker
RC51's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: Everett, WA

I Ride: Motorcycle
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Danep21 View Post
Just got done putting in my HIDS, i absolutely love the way they look, and they light up the road really well.... but the install was REEEDICULOUS! I couldnt find a fucking spot to mount the ballasts... and once i did... i wasn't able to get the mother fucking fairings back on, because the ballasts were in the way!!! Took me 5 hours to do them! Thats rediculous! My back and left knee is killing me. Bed Time
Told you it would be a pain, just wait until they start flickering every time you hit a bump. (I think yours might be a better company? If they weren't over $200 or OEM, they are probably going to flicker).

Have fun getting flashed at night too. I high beam every single person I see running those kits. That shit is illegal for a reason. The reflector in your stock housing wasn't designed for those bulbs, you'll get glare out the ass.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you'll probably regret doing it after you get pulled over for them. The cops up there aren't too bad about them now, but after they start getting complaints, they will be. Especially with bikes because they have a much greater chance of getting you on other things like an endorsement or shit like turn signals and reflectors.

The bike looks nice man, looks like it hasn't even killed any bugs yet!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #80
Shredder
ashfoot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Beaver-Town, OR
Blog Entries: 6

I Ride: from cloud to cloud.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Have fun getting flashed at night too. I high beam every single person I see running those kits. That shit is illegal for a reason. The reflector in your stock housing wasn't designed for those bulbs, you'll get glare out the ass.
So true! My boyfriend has HIDs on his bike and corvette and just the other day while we were riding in his vette with the low HID beam on there was a car on the opposite side of the street when we were both stopped at the red light who was flashing us with their high beams over and over. It was pretty annoying since my bf can't do anything about it. I'd never put HIDs on my bike just for that reason!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > Oregon Riders > Portland Region


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed