Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Peg Dragger
Quicklimegirl's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2005
From: Vanquivering with Kevin in WA.

I Ride: Kawasaki Z1000; Yamaha RZ350 (2); Yamaha RD400 (2); Yamaha RD350 (2); Yamaha RD125; Yamaha RD60; Kawasaki '72 G5-100; '66 Suzuki X-6 Hustler FINALLY!!
Goofy "elitist" newbie straight line hero LOL
I was moping around last week 'cause all my $$$ has been going into trying to finish my shop before the rains come back...so not much left for riding. Waiting on securing more funding, it was supposed to be done a week ago but still waiting...so finally Kevin must've grown tired of my whining and said hey, I'll loan you some so you can go ride.

I'd been itching to take the RD400 down to Oakridge via Ripplebrook/Detroit/Aufderheide ever since my last trip down. The owners of the Cascade Motel (great folks!) said I could lock my bike up in their secure storage. No way would I leave a clean vintage bike outside overnight!

So yesterday I headed out at 11:00am and the temps both yesterday and today were perfect. All of the roads were in really good shape.

I stopped @ Ripplebrook to hydrate and there were the usual bikes from each way. A couple of guys come roaring into the parking lot acting/sounding like they were some fast dudes...new Ducatis & all. A couple of minutes before I headed out toward Detroit Lake they took off rather conspicuously loud & fast. I thought to myself, well I won't see them again.....

Now anyone who's seen me knows although I have decades of experience I'm pretty slow...my current lack of fitness is a big reason why. Plus I've mellowed with age, but I do like at least a bit of a lean. Imagine my surprise when I caught up to the Ducati guys not two minutes after I left. I figured a car must've held 'em up. But as I waited for them to pull away, something funny was amiss...these guys couldn't or wouldn't lean to save their lives. They HAD to have been brand new riders. I was right on the a$$ of the back one, but I try to be polite and won't pass on DY unless it's a bike that moves over and waves me by, the same thing I do to the many riders I encountered who are faster than I.

As soon as we would get to a significant straight, the one in front with an aftermarket exhaust would play "straight line hero" and wick it up to 80-90+ mph. I laughed at the absurdity of him, being as he seemed unable to lean even half as much as your average slow bagger HD. It was actually entertaining in a weird way.

My RD400 is in great shape, mechanically like new but I didn't want to push it too much, so in an effort to keep this tool in sight (so I could pass him when the serious twisties about 18 miles from Detroit started) I'd go up to about 75. Each time even some really mild sweepers or turns came up I'd catch up fairly easily.

What I forgot about was the wicked 15mph decreasing radius downhill hairpin
about 10 miles from the Breitenbush campground. After his latest straight line heroics, I was just about caught up when I arrived at that curve; I came in way too hot....but told myself, just trust your tires! Terrified for a couple of seconds, the RD railed right through. In 35+ years of riding, I've never been over that far. It's a damn good thing that bike has rearsets, 'cause if it had the stock pegs with the under pipe loop I think I'd have been toast. The adrenaline rush from those few seconds was unreal!

So now we're at the twisties. They came up to a Harley and didn't pass him. I was right on their ass again and even with a DY I said fuck it, I'm tired of their halfassed pace. After disapearing through a few corners, I deliberately took it easier to see if they'd catch up. Nope.

I was getting fuel at the corner station in Detroit and I see them ride up, and then cross over 22 into the shopping area. I always eat lunch at Cedar's. Their bikes were parked there. I parked next to theirs and went in.

After eating I went out right before they left. I was getting ready to leave, the young one (Mr. Straight line hero) was kind of passive-aggresively looking through me as I said, "Have a nice ride" when I took off. I'd almost decided to wink at him at the same time just for fun but held off. He had that look of, "why are you talking to me, I'm better than you." I laughed to myself at the fact this schmuck was so elitist yet so inept. Those thoughts kept me entertained all the way to McKenzie Bridge and the Aufderheide. Hmm maybe I'm just easily amused!

It's weird, the last time I rode from Ripplebrook to Detroit I encountered a very young Newbie on a hot bike that couldn't ride a lick, but he didn't try to keep me from passing. I guess that road must be some kind of training route?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 09-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Permit
jdmpenn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Beaverton, Oregon

I Ride: CBR600RR 2007
Haha good story. I wish I had a ducati, maybe teach a thing or two on that thing.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Peg Dragger
Lucid Dreamer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Camas

I Ride: Triumph 09 D675
nice!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Endorsed
ELI the ICE man's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Hillsboro, Oregon

I Ride: 2007 Z1000, 2005 SV1088RR
I like that road alot... but each time I have ridden it I have been on a borrowed bike, so I took it easy. Last time some 'quick' riders passed me... and then I decided to play and match them for a few turns. Their braking mid-corner and ass-hanging crossed-up riding was distracting and dangerous so I decided to drop back and let them get into trouble without me. However, I did manage to follow them for a few miles... only about when I decided to drop back did the rear rider finally notice I was there. Oblivious.... After he noticed and did an obvious double take I hit the brakes and disappeared. Maybe he thought he had seen a ghost....
I have seen all sorts of riders up there... and drivers... many of them quite scary, too many of them more smug about it too. So far, I haven't met any friendly types on that road. Down around the McKenzie area it gets noticeably more friendly and relaxed.

Oh, and RD's are fun bikes! There is an original condition '73 RD350 in the family... such a different machine than my modern I4 in almost every way.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Moto2 Contender
Transported's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
From: Portland, Oregon
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: '06 FZ1, '99 R1, '80 Suz GS450S
I liked that story. Especially the part where you almost succumbed to your own sort of hubris, but pulled it out and learned something about yourself. I imagine that, though the Duc riders were putting on a brave face, they too learned something—about girls and rice-burning two-smokes.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
OOk
beansbaxter is too lazy to come up with something but he will get to it, eventually...
OOk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
From: kerklund
Blog Entries: 22
Cliff's notes?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Chicken Strips
Cleophus James's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
From: Ross Ice Shelf

I Ride: into town a-whompin an a-whoopin
Didn't like how someone was riding so rode over own head and got away with it. Subsequently chickened out of talking shit to bothersome rider when given opportunity.

That about cover it?


:D

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Peg Dragger
Quicklimegirl's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2005
From: Vanquivering with Kevin in WA.

I Ride: Kawasaki Z1000; Yamaha RZ350 (2); Yamaha RD400 (2); Yamaha RD350 (2); Yamaha RD125; Yamaha RD60; Kawasaki '72 G5-100; '66 Suzuki X-6 Hustler FINALLY!!
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleophus James View Post
Didn't like how someone was riding so rode over own head and got away with it. Subsequently chickened out of talking shit to bothersome rider when given opportunity.

That about cover it?
:D
No actually, it doesn't "about cover it."

I'm sure most of us have been in situations in which you're held up by others. Most of the time it's a pickup pulling a boat, a motor home, sometimes a Cruiser. I don't consider it a necessity to be deliberately rude on either side -- the one held up or the one holding others up. It's also pertinent that it's actually illegal in some cases for the offending rider/driver to hold up others; have you ever seen signs which state "slower drivers must use pullouts"? (although that road doesn't have that particular requirement). Like I said, most of the time it's me who potentially will hold up faster riders, and I always wave them by as soon as I know they are there.

I was patient to a fault. I let them do their thing for many, many miles without interfering. For one thing, I figured since they appeared to be new riders, for the one who wasn't pulling way ahead, it might alarm them to pass in certain areas/circumstances. I've had it happen, usually on NF90, where I didn't see the approaching rider yet, and before having a chance to wave them by, have them come just flying by (in my lane, too!) in a manner that is somewhat alarming. Not polite, not too safe, and I won't go out of my way to be rude in that fashion.

When I finally did pass them, they were well aware of where I was and I didn't cause any danger or otherwise pass in a rude manner.

What I'm puzzled by your post is, why would you think I should or would feel the need to "talk shit?" Plus I did NOT use a sarcastic tone when I told him, "have a nice ride." Had I winked or used a different tone, or laughed at him, well then I guess you could call it "talking shit." I think the pass said all I needed to say, and there really wasn't any need to take it further.

As to coming into that curve hot, well, things happen. I generally don't try to push my riding to the 100% level, because I want to live for the next day's ride. I've had near-mishaps happen before as I'm sure most riders have, and not because of your perception of me "riding over my own head."
When he was going 80-90+ in the straights, I wasn't trying to push it enough to stay right on him. I merely didn't remember that road having a hairpin-like curve there. At no time during the ride was I riding over my head. If that was the case, believe me I would've crashed long before I ever came to that juncture in the road.

I was wonderng when the smartass know-it-all haters like you would come out of the woodwork. To me, the entire ride was more amusing and entertaining than annoying...if I was as bothered as you are trying to make me out to be during that ride, I would've passed them the first few minutes when I came up on 'em.

Well, you can't please everyone.....so you have to please yourself.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Endorsed
kdoan84's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
From: portland, or

I Ride: desmo 996, R6 track
haha nice story

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
Peg Dragger
wsmc831's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
From: Redmond

I Ride: 1997 TL1000S, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2013 KTM 500 Exc, 2008 KTM 530 Xcw,
How was it riding over ones head? No crash, so clearly riding within limits.

I have similar interactions occasionally, lately on my 690 enduro with dualsport tires. It's all good fun.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
OOk
beansbaxter is too lazy to come up with something but he will get to it, eventually...
OOk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
From: kerklund
Blog Entries: 22
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklimegirl View Post
No actually, it doesn't "about cover it."

I'm sure most of us have been in situations in which you're held up by others. Most of the time it's a pickup pulling a boat, a motor home, sometimes a Cruiser. I don't consider it a necessity to be deliberately rude on either side -- the one held up or the one holding others up. It's also pertinent that it's actually illegal in some cases for the offending rider/driver to hold up others; have you ever seen signs which state "slower drivers must use pullouts"? (although that road doesn't have that particular requirement). Like I said, most of the time it's me who potentially will hold up faster riders, and I always wave them by as soon as I know they are there.

I was patient to a fault. I let them do their thing for many, many miles without interfering. For one thing, I figured since they appeared to be new riders, for the one who wasn't pulling way ahead, it might alarm them to pass in certain areas/circumstances. I've had it happen, usually on NF90, where I didn't see the approaching rider yet, and before having a chance to wave them by, have them come just flying by (in my lane, too!) in a manner that is somewhat alarming. Not polite, not too safe, and I won't go out of my way to be rude in that fashion.

When I finally did pass them, they were well aware of where I was and I didn't cause any danger or otherwise pass in a rude manner.

What I'm puzzled by your post is, why would you think I should or would feel the need to "talk shit?" Plus I did NOT use a sarcastic tone when I told him, "have a nice ride." Had I winked or used a different tone, or laughed at him, well then I guess you could call it "talking shit." I think the pass said all I needed to say, and there really wasn't any need to take it further.

As to coming into that curve hot, well, things happen. I generally don't try to push my riding to the 100% level, because I want to live for the next day's ride. I've had near-mishaps happen before as I'm sure most riders have, and not because of your perception of me "riding over my own head."
When he was going 80-90+ in the straights, I wasn't trying to push it enough to stay right on him. I merely didn't remember that road having a hairpin-like curve there. At no time during the ride was I riding over my head. If that was the case, believe me I would've crashed long before I ever came to that juncture in the road.

I was wonderng when the smartass know-it-all haters like you would come out of the woodwork. To me, the entire ride was more amusing and entertaining than annoying...if I was as bothered as you are trying to make me out to be during that ride, I would've passed them the first few minutes when I came up on 'em.

Well, you can't please everyone.....so you have to please yourself.
These are not Cliff's Notes.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
Endorsed
 
Joined: Sep 2009
From: saint helens, or

I Ride: 2007 gsxr 750
Great story....

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
Moderator
RedKat600's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: LaCenter, WA

I Ride: 2003 Copper SV1K
I see the problem. You posted this in the Portland section. Stay in the Vancouver section, we're much nicer!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Railer
KNanthrup's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: Issaquah, WA

I Ride: '09 Honda CBR1000RR, '95 BMW R1100GS, '98 KTM EXC 380SM
Must've been satisfying. I love that stuff.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
Parts Collector
dscott3509's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Milwaukie

I Ride: Triumph Tiger 800
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklimegirl View Post
As to coming into that curve hot, well, things happen.
I love that corner, but if you don't know it is there, it will bite you. I've been through there twice with EMS on the side of the road working on someone (once a car, once a bike). I am also extremely slow in that corner because I've encountered people in both directions blowing the corner and ending up in my lane.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
Chicken Strips
PeeJay's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Portland, OR

I Ride: SV1000S in the faster copper color, and a hell of a lot slower than I used to.
You really blew it there. The correct way is to pass them shortly before a wicked corner and sucker 'em into it so they crash.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
DGA
Moderator
DGA's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Portland, Oregon

I Ride: naked
Don't fret Cleophus...MV riders are just elitist Duc riders.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
Licensed
racinjason44's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: North Bend, Oregon
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
You really blew it there. The correct way is to pass them shortly before a wicked corner and sucker 'em into it so they crash.
Yes, this!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
Novice Racer
holypiston's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Vanquiver, WA
Blog Entries: 2

I Ride: RD400F Daytonut
That little RD runs pretty reliably (nice CHEAP crane cams XR700 ignition in that puppy...cheapest you can modify for an RD)...thank god for rearsets. The rear shocks are a joke though. Excellent reason even on an old dinosaur, reserve is a good thing. She gets traxxion fork springs and progressive rear shocks, ..she'll pretty much be set. I stole the progressives off that 400 and put them on my Daytona...heheh...

Maybe this will give her a little more reserve and hopefully 2~5 mph more in the coynas...that would work out good for both of us! I keep telling her she is quicker on the slower bikes...more room for error too. you grab a handful on a Z1 in the powerband...yikes!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
Shredder
ashfoot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Beaver-Town, OR
Blog Entries: 6

I Ride: from cloud to cloud.
Nice write-up Judy! And thanks for the heads up. I'm heading down there this Sunday and I've been going over the route a few times so I already knew there were at least a few hairpin turns (one 20mph and one 15, only been there once) so I'll remember it when it comes up.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported View Post
...though the Duc riders were putting on a brave face, they too learned something—about girls and rice-burning two-smokes.
Spot on! Bunch of posers if you ask me

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > Oregon Riders > Portland Region


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed