Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #41
mjn
Forum Admin
mjn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
From: Tri-Cities
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: '05 Busa, '81 Seca 550, '78 Hawk, '69 Z50A
Damn...

Every time I see an accident around there, my heart skips a beat.. I have family and friends in that area.

So sad..

RIP rider.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #42
Training Wheels
Alfang's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Tualatin, Oregon

I Ride: VFR800
Right of way means NOTHING when your dead.

I will echo what someone earlier said, why didn't the cyclist foresee the left turning idiot?

Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming the cyclist, but there are things we can and should do in our riding to help us be seen, and it's not just loud bright riding gear.

Slow down a bit, swerve back and forth in your lane, look at their eyes and wheels.

This yellow flashing left turn arrow is a big booby trap waiting to happen, I love it when I wanna turn left. the problem is people get used to these and suddenly a flashing yellow makes some people think they have the right of way and oncomers are gonna stop

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #43
Shredder
taznhell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: Cornelius, Oregon

I Ride: Everyday
She was 60 years old, Driving a big truck of course she felt she had right of way. Makes me sick to my stomach I ride that area alot. It is almost wholesale havoc on riders around there.

RIP to the rider, prayers to the family and all of us on two wheels.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #44
Shredder
Jeffytune's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Beaverton

I Ride: Harley FLHTCU
The police have now Identified the rider as Michael Lahmers, 60, of Bethany.

I did check the club roster, he was not a member of my club thankfully, but our prayers still go out to him and his family.

The lady how ran him down is Dianna Zang Markham, 51, of Aloha.

http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/...tify_beth.html

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #45
Shredder
Jeffytune's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Beaverton

I Ride: Harley FLHTCU
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by taznhell View Post
She was 60 years old, Driving a big truck of course she felt she had right of way. Makes me sick to my stomach I ride that area alot. It is almost wholesale havoc on riders around there.

RIP to the rider, prayers to the family and all of us on two wheels.
No, she is 51, the rider was 60.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #46
Endorsed
pdxdave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Aloha

I Ride: 04 Tuono Factory, 04 Futura
Has a name been released yet?
The age and bike sound a little too close too
someone I might know....

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #47
Endorsed
pdxdave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Aloha

I Ride: 04 Tuono Factory, 04 Futura
Oops, just saw that...
No one I know. Rip rider. :(

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #48
Knee Dragger
Tromatic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Portland

I Ride: Yamaha Warrior
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by taznhell View Post
She was 60 years old, Driving a big truck of course she felt she had right of way. Makes me sick to my stomach I ride that area alot. It is almost wholesale havoc on riders around there.

RIP to the rider, prayers to the family and all of us on two wheels.
Quite the assumption there. I wish there were cameras at all those intersections with the flashing yellow turn signals. People probably don't see a lot of things.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Tromatic; 10-12-2012 at 04:29 PM..
 
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #49
Licensed
BrandonBZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Salem, Oregon

I Ride: 1978 Honda CB400 (Project), 1978 Honda XL175 (Towner)
Rest In Peace Rider

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by BrandonBZ; 10-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: checked facts
 
Old 10-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #50
Licensed
Cain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Portland
Blog Entries: 3

I Ride: Ducati 1198s, Ducati 999
Rest In Peace. Sure sounds nice, but it's not really enough. Anyone who has been riding a while has lost a friend or loved one to this type of shit. "I didn't see him" is why my brother died. The problem is, they never looked in the first place. I made a rule a long time ago: If a Cager almost kills me, or causes me to ride off the road to stay alive, they get punished...hard...so next time they WILL look. Lady, go tell the guys wife, kids, parents, and friends that you didn't see him...fking retard. Anyway, have a nice weekend.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #51
HondaKilla
TwistedTimes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
From: Hillsburrito, OR

I Ride: Like a duc wrangler
wow... a coworker told me about this yesterday... i've ridin through that intersection a thousand times....

i just hope the rider didn't suffer.


__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by TwistedTimes; 10-12-2012 at 06:28 PM..
 
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #52
Knee Dragger
Tromatic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Portland

I Ride: Yamaha Warrior
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Rest In Peace. Sure sounds nice, but it's not really enough. Anyone who has been riding a while has lost a friend or loved one to this type of shit. "I didn't see him" is why my brother died. The problem is, they never looked in the first place. I made a rule a long time ago: If a Cager almost kills me, or causes me to ride off the road to stay alive, they get punished...hard...so next time they WILL look. Lady, go tell the guys wife, kids, parents, and friends that you didn't see him...fking retard. Anyway, have a nice weekend.
Are you the guy they made the movie about? Punisher, or something like that? Not only will your bike be fucked, so will you.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #53
Licensed
jvlrc51's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: salem, oregon

I Ride: rvt1000 sp2
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Yet another reason to make sure your family and friends know you love them. You might not get another chance to tell them.
It makes me mad!!! It's just a bullshit excuse to say I didn't see the motorcyclist. Most motorists could care less about other objects on the road.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #54
Licensed
jvlrc51's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: salem, oregon

I Ride: rvt1000 sp2
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlrc51 View Post
It makes me mad!!! It's just a bullshit excuse to say I didn't see the motorcyclist. Most motorists could care less about other objects on the road.
On a sad but hopefully a positive note. An Albany couple was charged with manslaughter this morning from an accident on 30 Sept 2012, because they were taking pictures with there cell phone, crossed the center line and killed a 72 year old motorcyclist. It's sad it happened to them!!!! But, people focus on driving, and please try to be respectful to one another!!!!!!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #55
Permit
speedmaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
From: Beaverton
R.I.P
Accidents like this are a good reminder to review the basics. Use your high beams when itís legal, wear bright reflective clothing, assume you are not seen and slow down at intersections while covering the brakes.
There are no guarantees but you can do everything to lessen the chances.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #56
Peg Dragger
Flyboymedic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Hazel Dell, Wa

I Ride: 2000 Honda VFR800, 2008 Husqvarna TE-610
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Rest In Peace. Sure sounds nice, but it's not really enough. Anyone who has been riding a while has lost a friend or loved one to this type of shit. "I didn't see him" is why my brother died. The problem is, they never looked in the first place. I made a rule a long time ago: If a Cager almost kills me, or causes me to ride off the road to stay alive, they get punished...hard...so next time they WILL look. Lady, go tell the guys wife, kids, parents, and friends that you didn't see him...fking retard. Anyway, have a nice weekend.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlrc51 View Post
It makes me mad!!! It's just a bullshit excuse to say I didn't see the motorcyclist. Most motorists could'nt care less about other objects on the road.

Automobile crashes are NOT accidental. They're due to negligence.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #57
Shredder
taznhell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: Cornelius, Oregon

I Ride: Everyday
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune View Post
No, she is 51, the rider was 60.
Assumption? She has a flashing yellow he has a green. So who has the right of way? She did not see him AND THIS TRAGEDY happened. Had ages wrong.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #58
Shredder
taznhell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: Cornelius, Oregon

I Ride: Everyday
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Quite the assumption there. I wish there were cameras at all those intersections with the flashing yellow turn signals. People probably don't see a lot of things.
Hillsboro police report that a 2003 Chevrolet pickup truck driven by a 51-year-old woman from Aloha was turning left onto Brookwood, from Cornell, when it struck a 2006 Buell motorcycle that was traveling south on Brookwood. The Chevrolet was turnig on a flashing yellow signal, and it appears the driver did not see the motorcycle, Hillsboro police said. The Chevroletís driver was not injured.

ASSUMPTION? She has a flashing yellow light hand turned impacting the bike. So she thought she was clear. Dude read the story. I am sure the police interviewed all who witnessed as well as any intersection cameras.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #59
Post Whore (In Training)
Dragon Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
From: Portland OR

I Ride: wee-strom, klx250s


“ Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrankpdx View Post
Vehicles failing to yield the right of way when turning left is the most common type of multiple vehicle accidents involving motorcycles, and it's not just due to driver inattentiveness. The profile of you and your motorcycle from the front is very narrow, so it is not easy for others to determine your distance and speed when approaching them, especially in low light conditions. We should keep that in mind, and be wary of our bias before making judgements. This is certainly a tragedy, but the best course of action is for us to be more vigilant when riding.
excellent points.

My next addition to the strom will be aux lights, as far apart as I can get them. It already has two headlights, but the more, the more likely I get home.

All new my bike goodies are designed to get me home to my family.

My planned extra flashing brake lights, tail lights and turn signals in the trunk, and my new neon green, 'can you see me now'? jacket


and note that people in cars can not even see f#$%$ing trains. (and can not tell how close they are, or how fast they are closing)

if trains have to add aux lights for cars to see them, what chance do we have?



http://www.trainweb.org/gyra/dc_lts.htm


"The following information is taken from the Final Report (July 1995) of the US Department of Transportation and the Federal Railroad Administration entitled: Safety of Highway-Railroad Grade Crossings - Use of Auxiliary External Alerting Devices to Improve Locomotive Conspicuity DOT/FRA/ORD-95/13 DOT-VNTSC-FRA-95-10

The triangular pattern:
1) A light pattern that a would distinguish a locomotive from other vehicles
2) A pattern that aided in speed of approach of the oncoming locomotive.


It was stated that an individual has an increased perception of the velocity of an approaching locomotive by using a special arrangements of lights such as a triangular. The larger changes in the angular size of the 3 point triangular pattern aid in the information needed to make judgments at crossings."

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #60
Endorsed
Cmacster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Tigard, OR

I Ride: '07 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R, '08 Husqvarna SMR 450 supermoto, '04 VFR800 Interceptor (retired)
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Rider View Post




excellent points.

My next addition to the strom will be aux lights, as far apart as I can get them. It already has two headlights, but the more, the more likely I get home.

All new my bike goodies are designed to get me home to my family.

My planned extra flashing brake lights, tail lights and turn signals in the trunk, and my new neon green, 'can you see me now'? jacket


and note that people in cars can not even see f#$%$ing trains. (and can not tell how close they are, or how fast they are closing)

if trains have to add aux lights for cars to see them, what chance do we have?



http://www.trainweb.org/gyra/dc_lts.htm


"The following information is taken from the Final Report (July 1995) of the US Department of Transportation and the Federal Railroad Administration entitled: Safety of Highway-Railroad Grade Crossings - Use of Auxiliary External Alerting Devices to Improve Locomotive Conspicuity DOT/FRA/ORD-95/13 DOT-VNTSC-FRA-95-10

The triangular pattern:
1) A light pattern that a would distinguish a locomotive from other vehicles
2) A pattern that aided in speed of approach of the oncoming locomotive.


It was stated that an individual has an increased perception of the velocity of an approaching locomotive by using a special arrangements of lights such as a triangular. The larger changes in the angular size of the 3 point triangular pattern aid in the information needed to make judgments at crossings."
RIP rider.

Great information Dragon Rider. I have heard good things about auxiliary and HID lights.

I often wonder why I don’t see more headlight modulators on bikes to increase visibility. I don’t know if the rider who passed away had one or not, and I am by no means assigning any blame to the rider if they did not have a modulator. I am using this sad situation as means to point out that it is best to be proactive in improving your visibility, and ride defensively. There are gadgets you can add to increase your visibility that will reduce your risk.

I have a headlight modulator, and for those that do not know what one is, it makes your headlight brights constantly blink during daylight. They are legal, and IMHO they save lives. I had one on my previous bike too. It’s the absolute first aftermarket part I add to my bike, than followed up by a brake light modulator. Headlight modulators work! I can tell people see me. I can’t remember the last time someone pulled out in front of me or cut me off. In fact, my experience is that cage drivers wait for me to ride by; probably because the cage is trying to figure out what is going on with this bike heading towards them with a blinking headlight. In fact, my observations are that cages cut me off less on my bike with a modulator, then when I’m in my cage. Modulators may piss a few cage drivers off who think you are flashing your headlights at them, but tough s#!t for them, my life out ways there frustration…period.

I have chatted with folks that won’t use headlight modulators, because it has pissed a few cagers off that swerved over quickly, or hit their brakes. I can only tell you that my experience is the benefits of the headlight modulator FAR out way the negatives. It would be good to hear from some folks on the forum that have had a bad experience with a modulator, so others can get both sides to make an informed decision.

My take…if you don’t have a headlight modulator, buy one. I know it’s the best $200 or so I ever spent.

Off soap box…

By the way, the other side benefit of the headlight modulator includes cages pulling over to let you pass when you close in on them in the twisties, especially if you have a solid blue bike, solid blue helmet and black jacket. I’m just saying.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Cmacster; 10-13-2012 at 09:04 PM..
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > Oregon Riders > Portland Region


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed