Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #101
Chicken Strips
Phlebmaster's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Oregon City

I Ride: 2005 V-Strom DL1000- 1984 Porsche 944- 1987 VFR750 Traded- 1985 VF500f Interceptor traded- 1976 KZ400 traded
Hope to do the engine swap tomorrow. I rebuilt the carbs that came with the engine today so they are fresh.

Can't wait!!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 08-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #102
Shredder
Veloc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: Tanasbourne, OR

I Ride: '08 R6, '07 S2R 1000, '10 Ninjette #791
Heh, I had been wondering what you were up to lately...

LOL, love the bike disassembled in the shed.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #103
Chicken Strips
Phlebmaster's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Oregon City

I Ride: 2005 V-Strom DL1000- 1984 Porsche 944- 1987 VFR750 Traded- 1985 VF500f Interceptor traded- 1976 KZ400 traded
Rebuilt engine and carbs installed today! I got the engine started...but will put up a video later. My neigbors were pretty upset at me for reving the engine at 9:25 pm tonight....nut oh well.

I had a little helper...my nephew.

Projects

Dissassembly...
Projects

Doing this al a cart.....check out how I did it...both removal and install!

Projects

Projects

Projects

naked!!
Projects

Changed the rear shock....
Projects

Projects

Ready to put the new motor in......
Projects

Projects

Projects

Got the carbs on easy!!
Projects.

Projects

Projects

Projects

Projects

Got her to start tonight, but still need to put the exhaust on correctly....overall it was an easy job once I got started

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #104
Chicken Strips
sin808's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
From: Bellingham

I Ride: SV1000s
looking good!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #105
Pit Crew
NoMornings's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Walla Walla, Wa

I Ride: 1989 Honda VTR250 (x 4), 1984 Honda VF500F (x2)
I always love the specialized metric tools you have laying around in your pictures. Like the hammer, prybar, crescent wrench, vice grips, channellocks, etc.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #106
Peg Dragger
Flyboymedic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Vancouver, Wa

I Ride: 2000 Honda VFR800, 2008 Husqvarna TE-610, 2004 Ninjette
LOL! I love the huge shop with gigantic skylights, and parking lines painted on the flooring! Gives that authentic outdoor appearance.












I have to do the same sometimes in my duplex parking lot! I get all jealous of guys with big garages! I have garage envy!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Flyboymedic; 08-25-2012 at 06:09 PM..
 
Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #107
Training Wheels
taylordangerous's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: SE PDX OR

I Ride: Duc 748, RZ350
Awesome! My first bike was a VF500 Interceptor. I loved the hell out of that thing.
It had been through so many people, used so thoroughly, but it ran perfectly and hauled ass... Until I hit some gravel and low-sided into a ditch at 45, which wasn't the best thing ever.

Anyway, fond memories. Awesome work on the old girl!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #108
Streetfighter
K2TheM's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Vancouver, WA

I Ride: '95 Yamaha XT350
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlebmaster View Post
Rebuilt engine and carbs installed today! I got the engine started...but will put up a video later. My neigbors were pretty upset at me for reving the engine at 9:25 pm tonight....nut oh well.
I get to do the same thing in the coming weeks. My engine popped and I'm just going to replace the whole thing.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #109
Chicken Strips
Phlebmaster's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Oregon City

I Ride: 2005 V-Strom DL1000- 1984 Porsche 944- 1987 VFR750 Traded- 1985 VF500f Interceptor traded- 1976 KZ400 traded
Smile
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by sin808 View Post
looking good!
Thanks!

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMornings View Post
I always love the specialized metric tools you have laying around in your pictures. Like the hammer, prybar, crescent wrench, vice grips, channellocks, etc.
LOL...you forgot to mention my Leatherman and multi-sided screwdriver. The precise tool for the job every time!!

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboymedic View Post
LOL! I love the huge shop with gigantic skylights, and parking lines painted on the flooring! Gives that authentic outdoor appearance.


I have to do the same sometimes in my duplex parking lot! I get all jealous of guys with big garages! I have garage envy!
I went for the natural look....lol I wish I had a shop so bad!! The things I would do.......

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by taylordangerous View Post
Awesome! My first bike was a VF500 Interceptor. I loved the hell out of that thing.
It had been through so many people, used so thoroughly, but it ran perfectly and hauled ass... Until I hit some gravel and low-sided into a ditch at 45, which wasn't the best thing ever.

Anyway, fond memories. Awesome work on the old girl!
Thanks...I love this bike. She has never let me down.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by K2TheM View Post
I get to do the same thing in the coming weeks. My engine popped and I'm just going to replace the whole thing.
It is pretty easy...if you have not done it before, just make sure you have a manual and the right tools before you start. If you need anything or help, let me know!


Here is the promised video...


__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #110
Training Wheels
Sinnergy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Boring, OR

I Ride: R1200GSA, DNEPR/Hack, VFR750, KZ400, XL250R, C200 (yes, more)
I came in a little late, but you like the vids; how about something like this:



I don't know how to embed on this board.

Ron

P.S. You ready to come try out the VFR?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #111
Streetfighter
K2TheM's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Vancouver, WA

I Ride: '95 Yamaha XT350
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlebmaster View Post

It is pretty easy...if you have not done it before, just make sure you have a manual and the right tools before you start. If you need anything or help, let me know!
I have access to a well stocked garage. If the tool isn't here, I probably don't need it. And I do have a Digital version of the shop manual, so I should be in good shape to do the swap.

I like your method though, may use that.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #112
Chicken Strips
Phlebmaster's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Oregon City

I Ride: 2005 V-Strom DL1000- 1984 Porsche 944- 1987 VFR750 Traded- 1985 VF500f Interceptor traded- 1976 KZ400 traded
Smile
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnergy View Post
P.S. You ready to come try out the VFR?
YES!

That video was awesome!!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #113
Training Wheels
Sinnergy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Boring, OR

I Ride: R1200GSA, DNEPR/Hack, VFR750, KZ400, XL250R, C200 (yes, more)
So the point was that perhaps you might assemble the VF' on camera like that (somehow after fourteen or fifteen times trying to get the embed right, it didn't come out right).

Yes, my 'antique' '91 VFR is a beginner's bike that you won't find too challenging, but I'm really afraid that after riding it, the '500 just won't be enough for you.

I need to ride this weekend. Will prob be on the Bimmer, so the VFR is open if you want to make a few miles. 'Rock? A 600 mile overnighter is a parkwalk for the Tiger; Sprague river anyone?

Sinn' (Ron)

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #114
Training Wheels
taylordangerous's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: SE PDX OR

I Ride: Duc 748, RZ350
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnergy View Post
Yes, my 'antique' '91 VFR is a beginner's bike that you won't find too challenging, but I'm really afraid that after riding it, the '500 just won't be enough for you.
Such awesome bikes. I bought a red '91 from the original owner after I low-sided my VF500.
Such gorgeous, fun to ride bikes.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #115
Chicken Strips
Phlebmaster's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Oregon City

I Ride: 2005 V-Strom DL1000- 1984 Porsche 944- 1987 VFR750 Traded- 1985 VF500f Interceptor traded- 1976 KZ400 traded
I did something to my bike today.....Green dot for the first to tell me what it is.

Projects

Projects


Rattle can job, but looks good from 10 feet. I will do a better job later, but I needed something different. :-)

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #116
Retired
Desvio's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: SE Portland / Bucerias, Nayarit Mx

I Ride: 03' CBR1100XX, 84 GL1200A
Liking the red!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #117
Chicken Strips
Phlebmaster's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Oregon City

I Ride: 2005 V-Strom DL1000- 1984 Porsche 944- 1987 VFR750 Traded- 1985 VF500f Interceptor traded- 1976 KZ400 traded
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Desvio View Post
Liking the red!
Me too! Not bad for a $5.50 (It was the change I had in my pocket).... paint job....eh? 1 large can of rustoleum safety red industrial paint from Home Depot. It was a spur of the moment decision, but it worked out.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #118
Peg Dragger
Flyboymedic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Vancouver, Wa

I Ride: 2000 Honda VFR800, 2008 Husqvarna TE-610, 2004 Ninjette
So, you swapped to nicer plastics only to paint them red?!? Am I missing something????

It doesn't look bad, but I liked the traditional red, white, and blue. You can ride your bike off a cliff if you want and paint it camo beforehand- that's your choice, I'm just confused is all.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Flyboymedic; 09-09-2012 at 04:53 PM..
 
Old 09-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #119
Chicken Strips
Phlebmaster's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Oregon City

I Ride: 2005 V-Strom DL1000- 1984 Porsche 944- 1987 VFR750 Traded- 1985 VF500f Interceptor traded- 1976 KZ400 traded
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboymedic View Post
So, you swapped to nicer plastics only to paint them red?!? Am I missing something????

It doesn't look bad, but I liked the traditional red, white, and blue. You can ride your bike off a cliff if you want and paint it camo beforehand- that's your choice, I'm just confused is all.
LOL

No no...the plastics on the parts bike are still red white and blue. But they are rashed up pretty bad, so what I painted are the old white ones. I have the other plastics in my shed.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #120
Pit Crew
NoMornings's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Walla Walla, Wa

I Ride: 1989 Honda VTR250 (x 4), 1984 Honda VF500F (x2)
So - if you're taking time to paint it, the new engine must be running well?
Better than the old one?
Which flavor of breakin philosophy are you using?

And, most importantly: Since it's just a temporary paint job, are you going to turn your daughter loose with the transformer stickers?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Mechanical & Technical > Projects

Tags
blueline is sterile, interceptor, vf500f


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed