Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Chicken Strips
OP
 
Joined: Jul 2006
From: Granite Falls, Wa

I Ride: 09 Husky WR165, 07 YZ250
To Alaska
Last month my father-in-law and I rode from WA to Alaska. Here's our report and some pics:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808435

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Superbiker
UhOh's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: Tri-Cities, WA

I Ride: Hither, Thither and Yon ... mostly day rides
Place I haven't been. Nice report ...

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Licensed
kenr74's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Dundeeberg, OR
Did a similar ride with my son last year. Same route until PG then we headed west and up the Cassiar. We dropped into Skagway and jumped on a ferry back down to Prince Rupert then back home through eastern Washington.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714304

How did the Duc do? I've been thinking that might be my next bike.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Licensed
Omnivore's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Salem, Or.

I Ride: Therefore I AM
I wanted to do that trip this year but my daughters wedding dislodged all my spending money lol

Thanks for the pics! I'm hoping next year.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Chicken Strips
OP
 
Joined: Jul 2006
From: Granite Falls, Wa

I Ride: 09 Husky WR165, 07 YZ250
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Did a similar ride with my son last year. Same route until PG then we headed west and up the Cassiar. We dropped into Skagway and jumped on a ferry back down to Prince Rupert then back home through eastern Washington.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714304

How did the Duc do? I've been thinking that might be my next bike.
The Cassiar is definitely the better way to go. The Alcan is mind-numbing straightness. If we go again we'll stick to the Cassiar or the ferry.

I remember following your report last year.

The Duc was surprisingly capable. The only complaint my FIL really has is that it's too tall for him so he's getting it lowered. We did 6500 miles and it never missed a beat.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Training Wheels
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Bremerton, WA
Nice RR...

Pics are great

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Licensed
Harabec's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Orygun

I Ride: like I have health insurance
Very cool ride!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
Seņor verde
Bluuu's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Kirkland

I Ride: behind the girls.
Always planned to ride the coast as far south as I can. Never had any interest in going north, but...

Now I get it. Thanks.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Endorsed
 
Joined: May 2012
From: PNW
Awesome, thanks.

This is on my bucket list.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
Licensed
kenr74's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Dundeeberg, OR
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by slo rider View Post
The Cassiar is definitely the better way to go. The Alcan is mind-numbing straightness. If we go again we'll stick to the Cassiar or the ferry.

I remember following your report last year.

The Duc was surprisingly capable. The only complaint my FIL really has is that it's too tall for him so he's getting it lowered. We did 6500 miles and it never missed a beat.

I think you did the Cassiar the right way. I heard heading south was better and most of our pictures were looking that way. I'm thinking about a trip next summer up to Deadhorse. Probably jump the ferry from Bellingham up to Haines to save some time.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
Mic
Retired
Mic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
From: Between Bellevue, Wa and Hood River, Or
Blog Entries: 26

I Ride: a KLR 650, and an XT 225
Being so close to Deadhorse, why wouldn't you continue on through!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Novice Racer
rowlex's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
From: seattle

I Ride: 1krr
awesome.

riding with dad is the coolest.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Shredder
KNanthrup's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: Issaquah, WA

I Ride: '09 Honda CBR1000RR, '95 BMW R1100GS, '98 KTM EXC 380SM
Awesome, thanks for sharing! This is on my list.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
mjn
Forum Admin
mjn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
From: Tri-Cities
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: '05 Busa, '81 Seca 550, '78 Hawk, '69 Z50A
Fantastic trip report!

This has been on my bucket list for quite some time...

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
Buz
Novice Racer
Buz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
From: Bremerton,WA

I Ride: 08 Zed x 10R
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn View Post
Fantastic trip report!

This has been on my bucket list for quite some time...
I couldn't say it better, lets plan a trip!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
Track School Dazed
james1300's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
From: CENTRAL

I Ride: When I can
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn View Post
Fantastic trip report!

This has been on my bucket list for quite some time...
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Buz View Post
I couldn't say it better, lets plan a trip!
Me too. Tried to go with UNCLE and company. But, fire season got in the way.

GREAT POST!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #17
Chicken Strips
OP
 
Joined: Jul 2006
From: Granite Falls, Wa

I Ride: 09 Husky WR165, 07 YZ250
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
Being so close to Deadhorse, why wouldn't you continue on through!
We were still a good 300 miles away and everything I read said Deadhorse wasn't anything special aside from getting to the Arctic Ocean.

Was definitely a good trip and am looking at going back. I would highly encourage anyone thinking of going to do it.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
Mic
Retired
Mic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
From: Between Bellevue, Wa and Hood River, Or
Blog Entries: 26

I Ride: a KLR 650, and an XT 225
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by slo rider View Post
We were still a good 300 miles away and everything I read said Deadhorse wasn't anything special aside from getting to the Arctic Ocean.

Was definitely a good trip and am looking at going back. I would highly encourage anyone thinking of going to do it.
I know exactly how far away it is from the Arctic Circle, I have been there.

The Brooks Range, Atigun Pass, the Tundra, all just spectacular sites.

So much more to see.

Not sure who "everyone" you spoke to is, but I wouldn't listen to them anymore.

Riding through the Brooks Range was one of the biggest highlights of that trip. One of the most beautiful places I've been on the North American Continent.

The accent and decent of Atigun pass was another great moment.

There is a lot to see between the Arctic circle and deadhorse, one only needs to open their eyes.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
Chicken Strips
OP
 
Joined: Jul 2006
From: Granite Falls, Wa

I Ride: 09 Husky WR165, 07 YZ250
And had we had unlimited time we probably would have continued to Deadhorse. But we didn't so we chose to spend our time elsewhere. I would have also have liked to go to Inuvik and Steward but again, limited time.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #20
Mic
Retired
Mic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
From: Between Bellevue, Wa and Hood River, Or
Blog Entries: 26

I Ride: a KLR 650, and an XT 225
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by slo rider View Post
And had we had unlimited time we probably would have continued to Deadhorse. But we didn't so we chose to spend our time elsewhere. I would have also have liked to go to Inuvik and Steward but again, limited time.
Definitely when you get a chance, go to Deadhorse. It will be worth it.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Ride Reports


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed