close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1970/1982 ct70

Discussion in 'Projects' started by RedKat600, Nov 25, 2014.

1. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

So, I picked up this lovely little project from CurveAddict last weekend. Got it home and forced myself to do the oil change, belt adjust and valve check on the car before I even unloaded this from the trunk. On to the bits!

The frame is a 1970, serial number 263! Golden oldie right there! The engine is a 1982 model. I ran the ID numbers on the webz and came up with this information. By the way, if any of you should need parts for one of these, here is an excellent resource for you. These guys have EVERYTHING, including Takegawa Performance parts. !! http://www.hondaminitrail.com/ct70.html

First order of business will be an engine tear down to see what state it's in. Dave was up front about it smoking a little but that's nothing a little top end work can't fix.

Next order of business will be to paint or powder coat the frame and swingarm Honda Red. Sorry, that orange is just hideous! Wheel bearings, swingarm bushings, fork seals, etc, all the little things. Still, minus an exhaust system I'm only looking at 300 bucks or so plus my time at this point. Depends a bit on what I find in the engine but still, cheap entertainment!

I also found out that the majority of other parts for this are of the later model year also. Not a big deal.

Lastly, a look at the wiring diagram tells me this is a one wire ignition system. Will work PERFECT as a pit bike at the races. No need for headlights, wiring harness or anything of that nature. Just a kill switch, a condenser and a coil.

Of course, pics will be incoming as I progress through the project. Can't wait to ride this little thing!

2. glad you snagged it cant wait to see it coming along :)

3. I have been keeping an eye out for one of these to restore 69-71
    Just for fun, little buggers really command a high price tag if they are in decent shape. They say they are prone to rust up inside the frame/body. Do post up some pictures. Fun project, I remember riding thes back in h day fun little bike.

4. hot. subscribed. you do good work.

5. Dr. E

Dr. E Theoretical Propagandist

Let me know if you need a copy of all the manuals that go for it. I have a CD I got for my 1970 CT70 winter project.

Great little site for other parts...thanks for that little gem.

6. RedKat600

Thanks! I've already got a manual though that has the addendum's for all the years up until 1982. It's a PDF version that will do fine, I think. I really only need it for the engine portion, torque values, etc. The rest is pretty easy as far as motorcycles go.

7. RedKat600

The frame on this one has been painted inside and out that orange color. I took a look inside and the only thing missing is the foam pads for the gas tank to sit on. Easy enough to replace.

For 80 bucks I can get a complete seal kit, engine gasket kit AND complete engine fastener kit. All the sidecover screws and head studs and nuts. Pretty cool.

8. Subscribed -
    My 1st bike as a 12 year old!!
    Woot...

Green metalflake as I RECALL!!

9. Fun project! Fun bike!!!

Curious on where you're getting/got a new exhaust from?
    Still kicking myself for not purchasing a new one when they were going for $125 on the minitrail site many years ago. The exhaust on my KO broke right after the prices were doubled aargh!!

10. RedKat600

Either CHP or Ebay. CHP has some cool aftermarkets. Ebay has cheap reproduction factory's for 50-60 bucks. Undecided at the moment.

11. a while ago had a chance to get one of those carbon fiber exhausts like this one on craigslist
    [​IMG]
    but seller didn't know anything about it and was too far away for me to check it out and the price seemed too good to be true too...

The vintage looking ones on CHP ones are sweet. I'd get a new/newish one if I were you, I looked for a long time for a used one and just about all of them are rusted at the same joint where mine broke apart...

12. RedKat600

Personally, I think this looks pretty badass but it's also a bit pricey. Duals!!

[​IMG]

13. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

Just be sure the handle bars knobs are tight, don't ask! crackup:

14. RedKat600

Actually, this has the newer standard triples and bars. No worries there! :mfclap:

15. Been There - :shock:

16. mjn

mjn Forum Admin Staff Member

Considering it is a mixture of several years... and as such probably won't have big collector value, I'd modernize the shit out of it.

Figure out some real forks for it... disc brake up front, regular bars (nice wide ones for good control) and a 125-150 bigbore kit. Hell... while you're at it, put in a 4 speed tranny with a clutch.

Now that would be badass!

The CT's are street legal. I'd make a wheelie pullin, street legal pit bike!

17. mjn

By the way, NE vintage cycle is another great place to get parts for the CT's or Z50's. I used them quite a bit on the 5 Z's I had.

http://www.hondanuts.com/barn finds.html

CHP (the link you have above) is a good place for sure.. lots of cool stuff on that site. Lots of hop-up stuff too!

18. RedKat600

Man, I'd love to this. However, there's this thing called "money" and I don't have enough of it with a wife in college and all. At this point, it will be a "make it run" and powder coat the frame and that's all she wrote.

For now. :evil4:

19. mjn

Ah... you can always mod it later..

I was gonna mod this '69 Z, but I can't bring myself to do it.. It's complete and totally original..
    I need one I don't care about to modernize..

[​IMG]

20. RedKat600

That little thing is just plain old fucking RAD!

I wouldn't mod it either.