close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1997 cbr 600 f3 fighter conversion

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Rabid Machina, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Started last winter

I apologize in advance for some of the pictures but I was quickly snapping pics with my iPod as I was working.

Without further delay lets begin.

What she looked like before.[​IMG]

As she sits now
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Some of the undertakings I have dealt with in the last couple of days.

Windscreen and speedo mount [​IMG]

Speedo Mount [​IMG]

Windscreen [​IMG]

What I came up with, its just sitting there. I need to come up with mounts and trim the edges still, but you get the idea. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my collection of parts so far [​IMG][​IMG]

I will continue to post pictures as I progress.

2. Been a little busy with school and building myself a useful workbench, but I was able to get a little progress in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. well it's been a while, school owns my life but managed to make some progress, little bit of welding yada yada yada....

ran out of paint so gotta get more, and finally start putting this thing together.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. well managed more progress this last week between classes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Nice thread.
    Look forward to seeing the finished product.

6. Looking pretty tight! And the only proper color for a fooking 'fighter! But please get rid of those 'comfy clip ons on put on a right proper dirty bar or drag bar...you wont regret it.

7. Damn that's looking nice!

8. Thanks, I do too. It's coming up on a year now that it has been down. Goal is to have it ready for next season.

I may consider changing out the clippers for bars, but for right now I think I'm gonna keep them. I have other things I need to hash out like exhaust fabrication, suspension that are gonna cost me a pretty penny. I will get around to it just not immediately.

Thanks man, it definitely has come a long way since the pictures I showed you at the down the street.

9. Little bit more progress tonight, I'll start off with a couple of mount pictures for those that are interested or trying to figure out a way to mount a dash or subframe. I know it took me a while to come up with the subframe mount. It could of been better but i think it came out good for my first time welding.

Any questions feel free to ask, I will try and answer to the best of my ability.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its center I swear, i was off to the left when i too that picture.
    [​IMG]

LivnLife4Fun likes this.
  10. Nice build! Looks like a lot of,,, work... :eek::) What headlights did you use?

11. Thanks, and it wasn't too bad just had to be patient. I am using a dominator dual head lamp setup, have them mounted on the first set of pictures.

12. Very nice work op. Much more ambitious than the 600RR I put together last year from a lightly damaged bike.

https://pnwriders.com/threads/i-built-a-bike-and-i-like-it.196163/

No that it matters, but I have to ask. What makes a bike a "fighter"? With this build the seating position, footpeg position, clip-ons... all stock.

I'm not suggesting you spend $600 bux with Spiegler for an LSL bar conversion. Or change the handlebars at all. Or chop the tail off with a sawzall. You should build it the way you want to build it.

But if the basic riding experience of the machine you are building/modding remains essentially the same as stock... is it a "fighter"?

13. Thanks, and I did see your thread for your CBR. I was more than I was willing to do when I started, I did not want to chop of the subframe since I was concerned with overall strength back there. I've seen builds where people recommend over-engineering for safety reasons. The beauty with the 1000rr tail is that it created a vertical support when bolted up to a solid mount replacing the need for trellises. So I took the easy way out instead of fabricating some intricate subframe. I think the tail is fitting for the overall with of the bike, I would have considered the bobber look but for me it seemed to common. Don't get me wrong when done properly they look great.

For me a fighter is something I consider to be an extension of the way someone expresses themselves creatively. Yeah sounds kind of cheesy saying that, but then why do we modify anything. Yes all of the components are in a similar or stock location or they are factory components. To me it was important to maintain some of the ergonomics that came with the bike due to back issues, but still give it a updated look with an old school feel. Now I'm not saying getting rid of fairings and throwing dominators on is the general point of converting a bike into a fighter, but if that is all that someone can afford who am I to tell them otherwise.

As stated earlier I will probably consider a bar in place of the clip-ons, but for now I have to prioritize my budget to get other things done. I would love to get everything done all at once, but then I would have had this done earlier in the year.

To answer your question, although I have added personal expression into the subject of what a streetfighter is. Yes it is even though things remain in the same or similar location.

Is Triumph's Street Triple not a streetfighter version of the Daytona 675? How about the Honda Hornet to the CBR600, or the CB1000r to the CBR1000? Now I'm not saying they identical but they are slightly watered down, naked variants of those bikes. So again it is a fighter with a bit of my personality accenting the overall concept of what it will be.

I hope it doesn't sound like I took offense, I can appreciate the question and I hope I was able to answer it. I had a friend over during the labor day weekend ask why did I tear down a perfectly good bike, and I wish I would of replied with what I just did. But I didn't all I said was it needs some of me in it.

14. If it's naked with modified front and looks like a lean mean fighting machine then I believe you can call it a streetfighter!

That black on black is looking great, definitely looks like it can beat the shit out of a stocker!!!! LOL!

Did you do all the painting yourself? Looks like a real good job was done painting the engine. That had to be difficult. Two thumbs up!!!

15. Thanks man, I did do all the painting myself, like I said patience is the key to making sure things come out right. Once the motor was out it wasn't to bad. I spent more time cleaning all the nooks and crannies than I did painting.

16. You sound like a true enthusiast op. Good work you are doing here. Since there is no bike-builder dictionary that I'm aware of... you can label your creation however you like.

And yes, agreed. All 3 of those bikes you list sure seem like streetfighters to me. Strangely enough all 3 have a dirtbike style handlebar as opposed to the clippys on the 3 other bikes you list.

17. While we are on the subject... this is an example of what is NOT a streetfighter imo.

This is nothing more than a crashed 600 that a person chose not to fix and deleted the main upper and side fairings.

[​IMG]

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/5214776245.html

2002 Honda CBR 600F4i Streetfighter - $3400 (Federal Way)

I am selling my CBR F4i street fighter with 29900 miles. Always garaged. Never wrecked, only laid down once in 2003 in a parking lot.

Ready to ride. Rides strong, and was inspected by quality mechanic that test drove to make sure everything is fine.

-Has Leo Vince SBK Oval slip-on exhaust. It has the riveted logo, not cheap sticker.
    -Bridgestone Battleaxe Hypersport tires on the bike, with low miles.
    -New coolant, with extra bottle of Honda Coolant.
    -Fresh Oil change on the bike with Full Synthetic.
    -Freshly lubed and cleaned chain. Also slack adjusted.
    -Maintains stock headlights, and Speedo. The stock speedo is very informative. I like the Digital speedo, with analog tach. Shows Dual trip, and has digital clock.
    -Also maintains the stock front bracket for future non-streetfighter fairing mounting, with the mirror brackets, for stock mirrors to be reattached.
    -Integrated rear blinkers in the tail lights.
    -Has streetfighter handlebar mirrors.
    -2nd owner.
    -Very Clean bike, rides strong and is ready to ride on the street.

Extras
    -Comes with extra set of Dunlop Sportmax tires with minimal squaring off.
    -Comes with the extra Honda coolant.
    -Comes with a Large Black HJC full face helmet.
    -Comes with a Large pair of Fieldsheer Waterproof riding pants. With a liner. *has small tear in stitching, that doesnt affect water proof performance.
    -Comes with a set of Medium Alpinestars Thunder Gloves Black.

**Cash sale only. Cash in hand for test ride. You wreck it, you bought it.**

18. Just thinking about all those nooks and crannies makes my eyes glaze over! If you have time I'd love to hear more details on your homemade paint shop setup or about the website that you referenced to set it up.