close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2002 DRZ400E mini project.

Discussion in 'Projects' started by GroverDill, Oct 13, 2014.

1. I picked up a well used 02 DRZ400 E last week (Oct 9th) My plans are basic, clean it up and dual sport it.

Here it is as I bought it.
    [​IMG]
    Got it home pulled off the stickers already improvement in the looks. Discover many very loose spokes (unsafely loose) and a trashed chain.
    [​IMG]
    Took is apart to work on the spokes and clean it up as much as I could.
    Ugh
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Went to the DMV to get the restricted plate, but was given this instead 8)
    [​IMG]
    Started the weekend like this
    [​IMG]
    Then this
    [​IMG]
    Parts ordered (waiting sucks) but its much cleaner now. Carb is off to add JD jet kit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And today is looked like this, just a test
    [​IMG]
    Valves were checked, still in spec. Will change the oil after its back together. Waiting the carb kit, chain, dual sport kit and headlight
    I am happy how it cleaned up and I am still on budget. Spokes all tightened up nicely had one one problem child. I am looking forward to putting some miles on it.

2. Just SWEET...
    Nice work!

3. KevinD

KevinD Modulator Staff Member

Which front sprocket do you have?

And it looks like the shift lever has collided with the left case cover: check closely for any possible oil leaks.

Lookin' good!

KevinD

4. Stock 14/47 gearing. Yes the shifter has impacted the case at some point in the past. I plan on adding case guards before too long. I have inspected for leak and cracks found none but I will keep an eye on it.

5. That cleaned up nice! My first SuMo KX500 they handed me a plate. The one I finished this year I had to get inspected for legal gear before I could get a plate. All stemmed from people getting plates and not having the proper stuff for street use.
    Washington did a 'blanket' yanking of plates on converted (and some factory) bikes then made ALL go through the inspection it got so bad. I still occasionally see a ratted out dirt bike with no signals/headlight with a plate but it could be a 'dual' registration, where it still carries an off road tag as well as street registration and has had the stuff temporarily removed.
    Keep up the good work!

6. KevinD

KevinD Modulator Staff Member

That works well for highway/gravel road use.
    I found that for off-road I prefer a 13-tooth up front. It'll still do 100 on the highway.
    I've an extra 13 if you're interested.

Our friends in Idaho can get a plate for damn near anything...

KevinD

7. Thanks I will let ya know how it goes. I have a bunch of parts coming in so I am getting excited. I went ahead and ordered a stiffer rear spring, I am "slightly" over the weight of what the stock spring liked.

I am most interested in the carb kit, remote fuel screw and the crf accelerator pump diaphragm, really I am only a bit nervous of the jets and picking the right ones.

8. Parts!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installing the Tusk kit is taking me longer than I thought but I am well over halfway now. Not sure I am sold on the headlight I picked but I wanted DOT approved

[​IMG]

I am liking the taillight nice and simple
    [​IMG]

9. I wish I had bought that headlight setup instead of the Trailtech X2 as I'd prefer a more compact design. I think the headlights are identical- just the plastics are different.

10. Badass... Gonna watch this one :D

11. FYI I mistakenly got a battery pack and a extra brake switch ( I ordered an extra for a total of 2, however I got 3)

Anyone need either let me know and I will pass them along, RocyMTATV did not want them back.

I am looking to see how i can dump the tusk on off switch, that seems like a dead battery just waiting to me. I want to power the main tusk kit with key on power only.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  12. I have read to use the taillight wire as it is not used in the tusk kit and its all LED. Since a previous owner decided to cut the stock harness I will try that 1st.

Thanks for the 2nd option idea

13. Kevin,,, your DRZ will go 100???? With a 13T?? Or Any size front sprocket?? By what speedo? Really?

14. like my homemade and crooked plate mount :)

[​IMG]

15. Gotta love those
    "famous potatoes"...

Crooked OK by me!!