close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2011 ZX14 Front Brake question

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by RideSlow2004, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Why does the front brake still work, after a 'parked' tipover, and the feed to the front brake from the reservoir is broken off. We plugged it with a bolt and a clamp, and it still works. We are 400+ miles from home, and gonna ride it in.
    Why do the brakes still work, and do we need to be cautious about anything?

2. My son would be posting, but he can't remember his log in. Jump in please

3. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

The master cylinder still has fluid in it. The reservoir is just to refill the master cylinder as the pads wear.

4. shelbyguy

shelbyguy Picture Whore

This

5. Also flows back to the reservoir when it heats up and expands.

If you've stopped it up with nowhere to go, be easy on the brakes and don't overheat them.
    They could lock up.

6. We made it home safe, went very easy on the brakes, and speed. Probably saved us from meeting the Rangers again.

7. You don't need no stinking brakes!!

Glad to hear you made it back and took the right precautions to make it home safe.
    It's an easy fix and those parts are cheep.

8. The tip-over was because we had stopped to take some pics, and did not know the rear tire was going flat. As it reduced in diameter, the bike was more upright, and then a gust of wind blew it over. Of course, it just wasn't over, it was over and upside down in a ditch. I didn't get a pic, I was more concerned about my son borrowing my Glock and putting it out of its misery. We (he) picked it up and put it back on the road. He is much stronger than I am, and it was funny to hear him say, "dad, you just stabilize it while I lift it!"

Because of all the damage to the bodywork and paint, I called the insurance to start a claim. Heading over to Hinshaws to get an estimate tomorrow.

I am concerned about contamination to the brake lines, due to the handlebar being pushed down into the dirt.

9. Good answer about the function of the reservoir. Not sure about the contamination. It's possible some material entered through the broken fitting though so a complete flush after replacing the reservoir is called for.

10. Glad you made it back safe.

11. If you're concerned about contamination.
    Just push all the PADS back into the calipers with the plug you installed pulled out.
    That will push the fluid out the broken fitting.

It's a funny story after the fact.
    Sort of thing that makes for good conversations at bike nights.

That's one of the things that go through my mind on longer rides alone.
    A simple tip over can be a real problem in the middle of nowhere all by your onesies.:shock:

12. Don't feel alone. A few years back I was heading east over the pass to get stuck in traffic because an rv caught fire by the lake (I call it stump lake for lack of a better name and memeory). I joined up with an older BMX touring bike while we dealt with the traffic for about 30+ miles. We hit a straight away after the traffic clears and he goes to pull away just to have his rear tire go flat. He safely gets it to the side of the road and I stop about 15 feet in front of him. Him and his wife get off the bike with the kickstand down and he starts to get his cell out to call for a trailer when a semi went by and the wind gust tipped his bike over, he was as far off the road as we could get while still being on pavement. Thankfully minimal damage, just a mirror and some scratches. This is also something that some people don't think about when they lower their suspension and end up with less of a lean angle when on the sidestand.

Glad you made it back safely.

13. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Streetfighter

Just told a 'noob' story on the ZX kickstand. You son needs to remove it and grind either the tab on the frame or the point on the stand where the stop hits. This will allow the stand to fold forward more. The bike wont be so upright and the kickstand will have more angle on it. It helps to leave it in gear too as a 'parking brake to help keep it from rolling off the stand...,just sayin.
    PM Me with questions. Have had a 14 6 yrs. now. Got a bit of experience with them.