2012 Rose Festival Hot Air Balloon Crash!!!

Discussion in 'Portland Region' started by Phlebmaster, Jun 9, 2012.

1. First off....no one was hurt. :mrgreen:

We were at Clackamette Park this morning and noticed this hot air balloon was dropping really fast over the Willamette River. The balloon skimmed the water, but thankfully regained lift. The fishermen in the boats were pretty freaked out!! lol Anyway, the Rose Festival Hot Air Balloon drifted over Gladstone, then headed over Clackamas missing several close calls and attempts to land safely. We followed just in the event we could help if and when it did crash. Thankfully, Everyone was okay and the police were on scene in Clackamas. I think the people in the balloon got their money's worth from this ride!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0JLJPG1Pw

2. One of the guys on my team at work flies hot air balloons, have to ask him what he knows. Doesn't look like any of his.

3. Bluuu

Bluuu Señor verde

In the article they asked people to send in photos. You should send your video.

4. I did on my You News....have not seen it posted yet.

5. Dr. E

Dr. E Theoretical Propagandist

Going into the river is called a splash and dash as we owned and flew balloons for over 20 years at the Albuquerque Fiesta. The "crash" landing as this is being called is typical for landings when you are fighting varying winds. To people watching it will look out of control, to the pilot this is par for the territory.

6. To be honest, I was actually impressed with how well the operator kept the balloon above the danger....with the exception of going into the drink. lol