75 Kawasaki 500 H1 let the restore begin

Discussion in 'Projects' started by jkester92, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Some of you might remember couple weeks ago bought this.[​IMG]
    started to restore it, got laid off and figured i might just put the new parts on it that i already bought. New polished front fork lowers, new fork seals, painted headlight bucket, refurbed/painted gauges etx and sell it. :x:x:x[​IMG][​IMG]
    Well I started a new job this week and "It'S BACK ON BITCHES" heres what we got going now. Tore it down to this[​IMG]
    then this[​IMG]
    sent the frame, swingarm, triple clamps, and something else can't remember now to powder coat. Get them back tomorrow.:mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Started tearing down the carbs, Damn can't believe this thing ran as well as it did[​IMG]
    little sand blasting[​IMG]
    carb kits and banjo bolt washers showed up today. Oil pump was leaking because someone decided you did'nt need the washers. :tard:[​IMG][​IMG]
    Then, I'm so excited, READY, Wait for it..[​IMG]
    Wait there coming, To my wifes surprise. I was much more thrilled than her.[​IMG][​IMG]
    This is going to sound so freekin AWESOME!!!!!!! I will not be looking foe silencers any time soon :mrgreen:
    Stay tuned.

2. sorry picks of the fuzzy carbs got screwed up.[​IMG][​IMG]
    also found the oil drain plug to be stripped out. :x
    Just finished drilling, tapping, in a brand new plug and everythings back nice and tight as new. :mrgreen:

3. I hate you for doing such awesome rebuilds... Looking good so far though, I can't wait to see you work your magic on this bike :mrgreen:

4. Thanks guys, just got off the phone with a guy from San Diego that wants my cr500. Someone call Russ at "custom classics" looks like the paint job is on.:mrgreen:
    In 75 they had Candy Blue / and what they called "Candy Yellow??? Which is the Root beer brown W/yellow stripe. What do you guys think?
    I'm kinda leaning towards the blue, but still thinking about the root beer. Should any bike be painted Brown? :scratchea
    I don't know how to do this but if someone wants to put up a poll thing, I will go with the color you guys choose ( Candy Blue :) or ( Candy Yellow or Brown :( ) ...... I will probably call Russ and set up a drop off of the tins on Saturday so we don't have to much time. But lets hear from you guys what do you think?

#5 jkester92, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. <==also wants your cr500.
    And a fighter jet.
    Probably the cr500 more though.

6. Thrust/ boost is about equal. Maybe give the nod to the CR500 and it fits in the back of your truck, runs on pump gas..:mrgreen:

7. Root Beer Brown was the color of my first car and I loved it.

I see alot of honda 70's cb's in root beer brown and they look great.

8. Grantizzle

Grantizzle Moderator
    Staff Member

i feel the same way. i like the root beer brown with the glitter in it.

9. Jims08Z06

Jims08Z06 Bat Crazed

Very Nice, you have just given me an idea for my next winter project...AJ

10. Nice, there is a 750 I think that I see running around. I fallowed him into Costco a few months back then he did a fast ass 180 on me lit em up. Smelled like 927 for mix and I love that stuff. Keep us posted, I missed the earlier thread.

Hows the tank in side ?

11. Big T

I'm glad to see that Kawytriple's bikes inspired you to restore yours.

I've seen his and each one is impressive, he goes for the 100 point restoration every time

Be sure and take your time jetting that thing for those chambers

I'd recommend vapor blasting for those carbs

12. DM47

I Ride:
    ... here and there ...
    My first bike was a '75 H1 in the Candy Gold color. Isn't my fave (I really like the Candy Sky Blue), but if properly matched and done correctly (base, pearl, top, etc.) it can look real nice.

Umm, if you want it to run correctly - and sound good - you better get good silencers. Did those not come with the silencers? They look like Denco pipes.

13. Thanks for all the comments looks. Like I am going to take a harder look at the root beer. I think pipes are denco, and no no silencers came with but for $200.00 I think I did well, things are like gold nowadays . Ya jetting isn't my strong suit, might be looking for some help on that, anyone?

14. Hope so AJ. But hold out and find a H-2 that's my only regret.
    When this came up at $2,000.00 and I just sold the 88 cr500 I figured it was ment to be.

#15 jkester92, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  15. Word.

You'll lose power bigtime.

Find the silencers that go w/ those pipes!

16. Subscribed and watching your buildup. I have a '71 H1 I'm giving my baby brother for a cafe build. Paid $600 7 years ago, got it running and it's been parked ever since. Always got put on the backburner.

17. Instead of a vintage brown, why not a newer copper color. Retro is all the rage and it would look updated, yet vintage at the same time.

18. DM47

I Ride:
    ... here and there ...
    They do look like Denco cones/design. As already said, you need the baffles. Besides reducing *some* of the SPL, they provide the engineered back pressure. Here's a recommendation for replacements:

http://www.lakeserv.net/kaw/chambers/h1.html

(Look at the "Prices" option list)
    You'll need to paint/preserve the end caps yourself, but they should work. Take measurements of your pipes (O.D., tube length) then call or email. If they'll fit your pipes you'll be in good luck. They work like they should, and sound righteous. :mrgreen:

19. Cool, hey thanks for the link I will be calling for sure