Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'78 Yamaha IT400?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by KevinD, Sep 10, 2012.

  1. KevinD

    KevinD Modulator Staff Member

    I've a lead on a 1978 Yamaha IT400, but know nearly nothing about it, other than it's a 2-stroke thumper "International Trials" that's supposed to be street legal.
    The owner says it hasn't run in about 5 years.

    Anyone know any more? Like anything I should look out for?

    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  2. I used to sell Yamahas of that vintage. As they came out of the box, they were NOT street legal as they had only a mediocre trail headlight and tailight..that did not include a brake light. As a street bike, any IT woud need a lot of parts and work to get it there.. probably more what its worth. As a trail bike, for its time, it was a pretty good unit. atho it got outsold by YZs 10:1 because they were a little lighter and had more zip. If you want a two stoke street legal bike of that time. look for DT400. At 1976 Yamaha brought out XT AND TT 500 4strokes and they pretty much took over that segments sales. I hope this helps. Contact me if you need more info.

  3. I had a 78 dt400 two stroke, street legal. Basiclly a detuned yz 400 with lights, I don't know if they made it400 till 79 or 80 may be wrong though. Super fun in town siezed on the freeway but easy to rebuild, man the cops would give me the stair but never pulled over.
  4. Had a 79 dt400
    Fun bike
    Zero issues with it.
    ITs are pretty good big two strokes
  5. KevinD

    KevinD Modulator Staff Member

    The owner says it has an ID plate on it.
    I know WA has cracked down in recent years on licensed trail bikes, so once I get the VIN, I'll call the DMV & ask.

  6. PeteN95

    PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

    FYI, this is an oxymoron, as "thumpers" are 4 stroke singles.
  7. If a WSP inspection is required, they will not even look at it.
  8. mjn

    mjn Forum Admin Staff Member

    I had one back in the 80's. Great bike. Lots of power... went like hell.

    But definitely not street legal. Headlight & tail light only, just an enduro.
  9. KevinD

    KevinD Modulator Staff Member

    Yeah, that's what I discovered.

    So I'll keep lookin'

    Thanks for the input!

  10. A friend of my father had a 465. There was no way in hell I was getting behind him on my YZ80 because that thing threw huge chunks of turf anytime he was on the throttle. Awesome machines for their time, there never seemed to be alot of 400's and up around, but the 175's and 200's were all over California back then.

    I'm not sure in this state how difficult it would be to get one licensed now days. I don't remember if they classified them as "off road use only" back then.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  11. I just purchased a '78 IT400 and got a license plate for it. What I found is that the 1978 IT400 is street legal according to the DMV, but needs additional stuff to be street ridden, according to the Washington State Patrol.

    The 1978 IT400 is a factory road/offroad bike according to a printout I got off the DMV's own computer BUT there is a Washington State RCW that requires motor vehicles to have a headlight, turn signals, brake light, mirrors and a horn to make them street legal (among other things).

    I'm putting blinkers and mirrors on it off a DT400, and fabbing up a brake light solution.
  12. PeteN95

    PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

    The DMV's list of street bikes is FAR from accurate!
  13. james1300

    james1300 Track School Dazed

    So? Its an off-road bike. Make it legal. Get it inspected and ride it with a plate.
  14. james1300

    james1300 Track School Dazed

    You can buy a rear brake pedal switch for < $20.00.
  15. If it does not already have a street title, going through the RCW46.61.705 conversion process will likely cost more than what you paid for the bike.
  16. james1300

    james1300 Track School Dazed

    For turn signals, a battery, a brake switch, a couple of mirrors and, a horn? Oh and, a $75.00 inspection?
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  17. ....I believe current orv tags are required and must be kept up, title adjustment and re issue fees.
  18. james1300

    james1300 Track School Dazed

    Maybe in some ORV parks. But, where we have been riding we got away with street legal plates.
    As far as re-issue fees go they are not much.
  19. Did you bishes notice that Kevin left the building?
  20. Yep. I've got to fab up the tail light though so that it can support a bulb with two filaments. Right now it's just a single 6v running light.
Similar Threads Forum Date
Parting my 03 Yamaha WR250F. Many parts fit 2003-2005 WR250F - YZ250F Gear, Parts, & Accessories Feb 7, 2017
SOLD _ 2006 Yamaha R6 Race/Track $3,000 Motorcycles Jan 2, 2017
Street legal 2006 Yamaha WR450F SM Motorcycles Nov 26, 2016
Selling 2007 Yamaha YZF R6S 3500$ Motorcycles Nov 18, 2016
Yamaha FZR 1000 exup Carb help needed? Mechanical & Technical Nov 7, 2016