close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

97 ZX600E project.

Discussion in 'Projects' started by sschering, May 11, 2012.

1. Daves929

Daves929 Bike Whore

Looking great so far!!

Tha purple tank should be good to go. The bike was run just this last feb, and I immediately drained the gas and hung it on my ship wall to air dry right after the motor blew.
    Shouldn't have to clean it is all I'm saying ;)

I'm excited to see more pics!

2. The petcock is full of the gel crap. I bet the fuel pump and lines are also coated with it.
    The fuel filter is loaded with brown sludge.

[​IMG]

Off to the dip can for a 48 hour bath..

While that is soaking I finished the turn signal wiring, mounted the HID module, made a piece to hang the exhaust, fitted the rear fairing and fuel tank.

It's getting there. I need to clean the garage!

[​IMG]

3. I have that same tool box.
    Don't lmow why I said that?

:popcorn:

4. I need to repair some minor cracks on the ABS plastics..
    One on the gauge surround, one in the V part of the lower fairing and one on the bottom of the right rear fairing. None are in easy to see spots so I think I can get away with just a back side repair.

Anyone have any good tips that can be done from the inside and won't damage the paint?

From my searches I've found the following options

PLastex kit http://www.plastex.net/

ABS cement

Davcon Plastic epoxy

melt with soldering iron

come combination of the above.

Right now I'm thinking of melting the crack with the iron from the back side and backing it with the plastic epoxy and some Carbon fiber.

5. I've had decent results with fiberglass repair kits, I don't imagine that ABS repair would be all that difficult. Hurry up man, i'm dying to see this. 8)

6. I'm working as fast as I can :) lol.. Family stuff comes first and there has been a lot of it..

Devil_Doc
    You said you found some tubes and parts for the bike? Let me know if you need for $$ to ship it.. I think I hope those are the pieces to kook up the venturi tubes in the ram air system..

Picked up a new fuel filter, more carb cleaner and a can of Seafoam today..

Kids got a T ball things tonight so it'll prob be tomorrow before I get to it again.

7. Plastifix is awesome. I got some, used it a few times... I've had good luck with repairing my fairings with it thus far (once you get past the learning curve).

8. Last night I got the petcock put back together and mounted on the tank, flushed the fuel pump, installed the new filter, re-mounted the fuel pump, got everything buttoned up that hides under the air box and bolted it down, tank is back on all and all hooked up.

I should be able to fire it up tonight..

Still can't test ride it.. none of the brake light switches are working..
    Rear switch needs a link spring and I haven't looked at the front yet.

I found one of the venturi tubes for the ram air system.. If I can find the other I can wrap that up and get the fairings mounted.

9. Which tubes are you talking about? The small, maybe thumb sized, short sections of line?

10. Yeah..

Parts 92190E and 92190D in this pic
    I found one of em last night in the box of parts.. Maybe the other is kicking around in there and I just missed it.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

11. I've been repairing ABS with fiberglass for years. The advantage is you can reconstruct bolt hole, tabs and so on. If it's just cracked then the plastic weld works. Should still drill the end of the crack to keep it from continuing. Small hole can be touched up with a small brush.

:popcorn:

P.S. That petcock looks happy and sad.

12. Did someone say ABS?

I have found repairing ABS bodywork acutally pretty easy to do. ABS sheets from TAP Plastics and ABS cement from your local hardware store and basic wood working tools is all you need.

13. Plastics repaired!

I used a 40w soldering iron to melt the piece together from the back side and built up extra ABS along the crack by cutting chunks off a spare piece of ABS. I melted the pieces into the surface to fill any voids made by the iron.

Then I used a mek based plasti weld liquid on the outer surface..

It makes a nice repair that feels fairly strong and didn't do any horrible damage to the paint.

I did the cracked lower V fairing, the gauge surround and 2 cracks in the right rear fairing.

Only one is in a spot you can easily see and it was tight enough I think I can get away with just wicking solvent into the crack from the back and putting it under pressure with a strip of tape across the fairing. I may go back and do a little solder iron work on the inside after it sets for 24 hours.

14. I fixed the headlight wiring but had to pull the HID modules from the sport I put it in.. Things were a lot tighter with the upper fairing on than I thought it would be.
    For now I'll just run a stock headlight bulb and do the HID later.

There is a specific order the bike has to go together and aparently it wasn't the way I started :) I've had the upper fairing on and off 3 times today and pulled the tank twice..

Right now I have the mids and upper on plus the dash surround, windshield and front fender..

I'll mount the rear and lowers after I figure out the brake lights. I fear the tank will have to come off again to get at the wiring.

15. Brake light testing.. One step forward.. two back..

Neither front or rear switches will turn the brake lights on.
    Taillight running lights work.

Check power going into the rear switch.. got 12v.. Switch tests good.. Got 12v going out..
    Check at tail light harness.. Got 12v when rear switch is on but no lights..

OK quick swap to a spare tail light harness.. We have lights! But only with the rear brake switch..

I'm still getting no joy on the front brake switch.. The plug for that is under the #$@#$ airbox.. Tank and airbox have to come off again.. I hope I can do that without taking the damn mid fairings off (ram air tubes need to be backed out of the airbox)

I might try to tackle it from the switch itself rather than tear all the crap off again.

16. Front brake sorted without taking much apart.

this bike has an easy to access microswitch under the master.
    That switch was bad. I just happened to have a FZR600 MC in the parts bin that had the same switch on it. Swapped em out and it's all working!

Nothing left to do but bolt the rest of the fairings on, top the rad and fill it with gas.

17. :mfclap: strong work. Test ride video?

18. Right on man.
    Now it's time to clean that garage?

As soon as I start cleaning up that's when I fine the parts I was missing. Of course it ALL has to come apart to put em on......:rant

Keep up the good work and we'll be waiting for updates.:popcorn:

19. Thought I'd get the fairings on last night but no. I spent 2 hours scrubbing sand, rocks and grease out of the lower fairings.. Horrible messy job. Now it's going to rain for the next 2 days..

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012