close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A nice GPS navigation app.

Discussion in 'Bellingham' started by Bikehamster, Aug 13, 2015.

1. I found a pretty decent navigation app. It is called Sygic Gps Navigation. I have an Iphone, but I assume it is probably available for android as well. The thing I like is that it works without cell phone service, just like a Garmin or Tom Tom. I tried it out on my ride up to Mt Baker/Artist point today, as well as Mesquito lake road and other areas, where I did not have cell phone service. It is free, but there is a paid upgrade version also. Just thought I would share for anyone that might want to try it out.

2. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds nice, gong to give it a try on android...

3. This app sounded very interesting so I looked at recent reviews in the Google Play store. There seems to be a lot of unhappy users, including some who paid for the premium version -- many complaints of bugs and crashes. Decided to pass on this for now.

4. I normally use waze, but it's nice to have a backup on my phone for areas that doesn't have cell phone service.

5. Since many of our phones are waterproof now, GPS applications with embedded maps available, and quick RAM mount holders for the phone mount; it follows, the smart phone today makes a good replacement for the limited use GPS motorcycle receiver unit.

I have found the Sygic (android application) "Speed Cameras" is a great application that presents bike GPS speed, many road speed limits, has maps, and records the traveled track in background. I like and use the road speed, traffic camera, and bike speed display screen the most.

I find the problems with most of these map applications---it is the errors in presented map roads---Sygic, CoPilot USA and others have current map road mapping problems. CoPilot USA has the ability to drag a route on screen to an alternate route---now that is neat feature---if the map road information is correct.

Another good reason to operate the smart phone on the bike is ability to run Bubbler GPS Pro (Android application) reporting to SpotWalla.com PC application where travels, photos, and notes can be posted during the route and other person can view status; for example, https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=e53155bfb1dce1b65