Anyone wanna teach?

Discussion in 'Eastside' started by Stillboredb, May 4, 2012.

1. Hey guys, funny request here...

So I am a new rider. I am extremely interested in honing my skills and learning much more. I noticed there's quite a few of experienced track riders here.

Is there anyone here who would be willing to ride with me and teach me some fundamentals of riding more aggressively? For example, taking turns more effectively. I ask because I really enjoy riding twistys, so I want to learn to ride better to be more safe essentially. Please note, I am in the process of getting to the track, for one my bike is limited for what it is, a Bandit. I am currently saving up for the right gear and pulling a front end off a bike with inverted forks for better handling and crash protection for the bike. I know there will be lots of suggestions to do this or that, but I really just want to be on the road and learning it by doing it. We could possible work out some kind of compensation if you'd like? I am looking for a teacher.

I've been reading books and watching videos incessantly as well, learning where I can off the bike.

Thanks again,

D

2. ballistic tracks a fz1 like a boss at our track days. i figure the fz1 is somewhat similar to the bandit. you should come out monday even if u arnt riding and just pick brains. i/we love helping riders out when and where we can.

once you get your bike built we should get your suspension adjusted and such so you have a good platform to practice in. what kind of tires are you running?

3. Right on, I have a 2008 GSX-R shock on now, with upgraded springs in the front with Shinko 005 Advance tires. I am working on getting a 93 GSX-R front end on my bike.

4. nice. sounds like a cool project. will you be able to come out to the track monday?

5. Yeah, probably not until late morning early afternoon though.

6. Have u watched " a twist of the wrist"? A dozen times yet? I've got a copy if u want .

7. Texasl

Texasl Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, 1988 H-D (Project) Electra-Glide
    Get yourself over to Spokane MotorSchool for the Advance Rider Class. You will not be sorry.

8. xpertss

I Ride:
    I ride a motorcycle... How cool is me?
    +1

If you really are new to riding, track is probably not the best thing for you yet. Just sayin

9. Not yet, however as I type I am reading Twist of the Wrist II. I'd love to watch it however.

10. Define, "really are new".

11. Has anyone done this here, looks helpful, but not really piquing my interest.

12. Texasl

Texasl Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    Only twice, with auditing the range work once to help train new instructors.

Want to learn trail braking, decreasing radius turns, body position w/o squidding out, emergency maneuvers, corner and straight line braking? And it is done in a controlled situation with non demanding speeds so that you can work on the basic skills. Get a grip on the basics and then step up the pressure.

I didn't just walk out the door one day and run a half marathon, I started out at lesser distances and worked my way up.

13. Shit, it's only a hundred bones. You know, I think I'll do this as well, however I'd still enjoy someone to help me as well outside of that program.

14. Texasl

Texasl Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    Kewl. When you know the proper method you will be better equipped to discern the ass hats when you head out with people on some group rides. Watch, learn, and ask for some feedback.

15. That's totally WRONG - the track is the best place for a new rider. When I say the track I mean sign up for a track school with a class structure. They will place you with newer riders and you will learn more in one day than you can in a season of weekend riding - It's safe, it's structured. You need not worry about cars, pedestrians, police and you own the road.

It's ridiculous to think you can learn more on the road than a track school It's the best money you will ever spend. The only thing you'll need is decent and safe gear and good tires. The rest will come. Don/t worry about the Bandit, it's fine for a track school.

See if and when Mike Sullivan's school is coming here and sign yourself up. If not, them find another school you'll be glad you did. As for having others teach you - it's risky and you may well get a load of bad advice.

Steve

Mel likes this.
  16. If years really are wisdom, steve has lots of both.

17. KevinD

KevinD Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    Not over here this year.

But it'd be worth the trip to the Wetside for a Sullivan school...

KevinD

18. I talked to mike about coming over...he needs at least 5 or 6 riders. He would come over on one of the inland speed days.

19. +1 for this recommendation

20. Get endorsed at least, you'll learn tons there, AND watch twist of the wrist 2 as many times as you can stand. That movie showed me so much and I am a way better rider because of it.

I'd ride out with you whenever and share what I've learned.

#20 twistofthewrist, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012