ATGATT is a PITA

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by penpen, Jun 8, 2006.

1. So, let's face it. A lot of people don't wear all their gear 'cause it's a pain. You need to change, you need to put it all somewhere, you look like a power ranger walking into the office... it's just not so convenient.

And I do it right now, but I'm trying to find a compromise.

I'm looking for something that I can wear that either look like jeans, or I can wear under my jeans. It might not be as robust as leather, but this is just for my 2-3mi commute to and from work.

The only company I've found that makes decent pants for women is Icon:

Alternatively, they also make stuff that goes under pants:

Just hoping for people's thoughts on this stuff, or maybe ideas on alternatives. I'm not familiar with Aramide and am not sure how this stuff stands up when put to the test... and I can't find anything that looks remotely decent otherwise for girls.

If it doesn't work out, well, guess I'm stuck with full leathers. But I like to keep my ass looking in one piece, so it's worth it imo.

Thanks in advance for peoples' advice!

2. Genesis

Genesis Where do I begin??

I have to agree you, the interesting thing is I got more fingers pointed at me at church last sunday than I get in the office.

Those look like some nice alternatives PenPen, I might check into them.

3. Djoplin

Djoplin Investigates Alternative Destinations

MIght try some OVER pants. I'm not sure of brands or styles. I hear some wear them though. Go on over your regular pants or shorts or whatever. Just take them off when you get to work. Yer ready to go. I have to change when I get to work. SO, it really makes no difference to me. Company uniform. I have no choice.

4. I think a combination of all three would make a decent alternative to the power ranger suit.

5. I thought of those, but I've seen so many people with chunks hewn out of their knees from lower speed falls that I would want knee protection that didn't slide around. I'm not convinced that overpants fit well enough to provide that, but I think they would still provide abrasion protection.

In short: perhaps a good solution (I don't know well enough firsthand), but I'm looking for something a bit better :)

6. That's what I was thinking, but I hear the icon pants don't fit women well.

I wonder how well aramide holds up in a crash?

7. I have gone to church plenty of times in FULL gear and Club colors... And didnt think anything about it. I am sure others noticed, but with all of the nuts in cages out there...Im gearing up...no matter where I am going...

8. Are any of those three items CE approved?

"The only company I've found that makes decent pants for women is Icon:
    "

9. Shouldn't this be in the gear thread :lol:

look into an areostich suit. They are spendy but it is like a very nice set of coveralls that will save your ass if you go down and are weather proof. Or just say fuckit and ride in jeans

10. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

doesn't icon make some chaps that you can strap over whatever you're wearing? not sure how well chaps will hold up, but i bet it's more convenient than full leathers at the office... which i still do, but my commute's an hour each way, so...

11. um.. no. no chaps. especially not icon chaps. thanks anyways. :mrgreen:

12. I just wear two piece leathers, and got the pants a little bigger than normal, so they fit over my jeans. Then when I get to where I'm goin' just put the pants in my backpack and wear the coat. Just leave my gloves under the seat and the helmet on the helmet lock, it usually takes like a min extra to do all this...

13. jezterr

jezterr Retired Admin

but... they'd be hot... :mrgreen:

14. nah... i ride my bike 'cause i enjoy it, not for the attention, unlike some people! :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

15. feel free to move this to the gear thread :)

i would look goofy in a full aerostitch suit. and yeah, thinking of going the jeans route, just trying to find safer jeans or armor to put underneath :)

16. Moto

Moto Safety Wire King

i told you a long time ago, AlpineStars, Dainese, Spidi, Axo, and Arlen Ness all make under suits:roll:

17. I am not a fan of Icon's line of casual clothes because they have very limited patches of abrasion resistant material. For instance, in their jeans I believe they only have it in the knee area. I think not putting it in the ass is a major oversight. Another company you might check out is Draggin' Jeans. I have never owned a pair but only because I don't live that close to a retailer and don't want to guess at their sizing. I do know that Max & Blondie have some though, maybe he will comment on them. What I do know is that are some of the toughest jeans out there. Here is a link straight to their women's style. Low riders they call them, that's in style right? :)

http://www.dragginjeans.com/LowRise.htm

18. I forgot to mention, you should look through the rest of their site. They make some other pretty cool stuff. Oh, and I looked at their site more myself and they actually make some of the other styles in women's sizes. I was just in a hurry the first time and clicked on the first one that said women. I guess the low riders are for women only. No dudes. :cry: crackup:

19. Aramid is basically Kevlar without the Dupont branding. So it'd be akin to adding the kevlar from draggin jeans to whatever you want to wear them under.

20. tophyr

tophyr Forum Cripple

I wear Joe Rocket Alter Ego overpants and they're fantastic. Takes me about ten seconds to take them off or put em on, and they can go from full winter mode to somewhat summer mode in about 15 sec. I was in a pretty bad accident almost three months ago and I was wearing a very similar set, and they without a doubt protected me perfectly. I still broke my leg, but that was more from viciously bashing it against the ground, which not much could have helped. The knee armor in that set of pants took a horrifying beating, frankly - it was shredded about halfway through the material. If I hadn't had those pants then, I wouldn't have a left kneecap now.