Avoid the Woodsman Country Lodge in Crescent, OR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Craig Wagner, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner
    Expand Collapse

I just signed up for the forum so I could share this with my fellow PNW riders. Four of us just returned from a trip. On the last night we stayed at the Woodsman Country Lodge in Crescent, OR (on hwy 97 south of Bend). My buddy and I have been staying there since 1999, and in fact stayed there just last month with our wives on a trip to Crater Lake (by car).

When we checked in we were told that this was the last time we'd be allowed to stay there when riding our motorcycles. The owners had had "problems" with motorcyclists, and instead of dealing with the problem people they decided to ban everyone based on their mode of transportation.

[​IMG]

I wonder if a group of Asians had caused trouble if they would put up a "NO ASIANS" sign.

At any rate, please inform all your friends, family, enemies, whatever that this establishment should be avoided.

Friction Addiction likes this.
  2. Texasl

Texasl
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, 1988 H-D (Project) Electra-Glide
    Well, it does say "No pets allowed on property." crackup:

On a more serious note, I have forwarded this information to some of my colleagues in Oregon, including some members of the legal community.

3. UhOh

UhOh
    Expand Collapse

bet it was related to grease & road grime stains on the white bath towels.

4. ww73

ww73
    Expand Collapse

5. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner
    Expand Collapse

I should also mention that I spoke to the people who own the Crescent Motel (541-433-2550) right across the street. They were very polite and helpful. They've been renovating and the rooms look very nice. They are also half the price. I would suggest staying there instead. A little further north is the Gilchrist Inn with big comfortable beds. I stayed there a number of years ago and the owner is also very friendly.

6. lena

lena
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    Monsters
    That is weird, to say the least. Curious to see how it unfolds, if Texasl gets anywhere, subscribed.

7. ZaethDekar

ZaethDekar
    Expand Collapse

Well I am just going to install some bike pedals on my pegs and consider myself a cyclist... I wonder if I could somehow hook it up to the front sprocket and use the bike lanes in portland ....

8. james1300

james1300
    Expand Collapse
    Track School Dazed

I'd stay across the street from the mean anti-biker peoples.

9. dcamgixxer

dcamgixxer
    Expand Collapse

that is some pathetic management and a poor way to run a business! i hope they go chapter 7 by the end of the year! that pisses me off..

10. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner
    Expand Collapse

That's our plan for all future trips in the area. Until The Woodsman has new owners they've gotten their last dollar from me.

11. Desvio

Desvio
    Expand Collapse
    Retired

Wow, probably the dumbest move they could make, and they take it one step further by putting a sign up for it.

Definitely going to spread the word on this one.

12. Desvio

Desvio
    Expand Collapse
    Retired

It appears they are an AAA approved stop, I wonder if Triple-A is aware of this?

I would forward them this recent change, but it would probably come better from an AAA member. How many members do we have on here that are willing to step up and complain about this?

13. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner
    Expand Collapse

The wife of one of the people I was with is member of AAA. He's already written to AAA about it and has received a response that they are going to look into it.

Kind of funny really, they thought they had trouble when they allowed motorcyclists to stay there. I don't know if they have any idea how much trouble we can cause now that we're banned.

#13 Craig Wagner, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  14. Texasl

Texasl
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, 1988 H-D (Project) Electra-Glide
    I will forward this out to the AMA and a nationally distributed motorcyclist mailing list this evening. It is already on the National Coalition of Motorcyclists (NCOM) radar.

15. Jeffytune

Jeffytune
    Expand Collapse

In Oregon, you have the right to refuse service to anyone at anytime for any reason.

With that said, as a AAA repair center, I can say we would be having to do allot of explaining to AAA if we started to turn there customers away for reasons of the type of car they drive.

I have just returned from a three day southern Oregon trip I planned out for my HOG club, and Crater lake was one of the places we went. We rode right past this joint, and stayed the night in Bend. I still when planning a stop go in ahead of time and make sure we are welcome, being on Harley's can carry some extra baggage. There have been a few times that I was asked politely not to stop, but for the most part, the business are happy to have us.

(Most times it is the size of the group stopping on a Sunday and they do not have the staff to handle the group)

16. seh750

seh750
    Expand Collapse

The "one of the people I was with" is me. Last I heard from AAA they weren't happy with what I told them and were investigating. I'll report back when I hear more.

17. Desvio

Desvio
    Expand Collapse
    Retired

An owner can refuse service to anyone unless the reason is against public policy.
    They can't discriminate based on race, sex, nationality, religion, etc. of the patron.

But just not liking a particular person is not against public policy and the owner can refuse service. Unfortunately by verbalizing and posting a sign, they are slowly and stupidly crossing that line. Unfortunately that level of discrimination is so far down the line of importance you would seriously be wasting time perusing it legally.

However, they don't call this the "age of information" for nothing. Taking someone to court is no longer the number one form of action, more damage can be delivered by taking it to the internet!

#17 Desvio, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  18. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. I never intended any sort of legal action. I just want everyone to know the practices of this establishment and encourage people to take their business elsewhere (regardless of their mode of transportation). Regardless of whether they change their policy or not, I've spent my last dollar at the Woodsman.

19. PeeJay

PeeJay
    Expand Collapse

Is there a name for that phenomenon, like "The Streisand Effect." There ought to be.

20. holypiston

holypiston
    Expand Collapse

No one leaves their motel room after 10:00 P.M. !

cya.