battery tender?

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by shelbyguy, Oct 9, 2012.

1. shelbyguy

shelbyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Picture Whore

4 moto batteries wired in parallel,

sound legit to use one tender?

#1 shelbyguy, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. 88dx

88dx
    Expand Collapse

Ride motorcycles, no battery tenders needed

3. Lucid Dreamer

Lucid Dreamer
    Expand Collapse

nope you'll want them in parallel, though not sure how your tender will deal with four batteries with varying needs

4. shelbyguy

shelbyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Picture Whore

oops.

sorry. your correct- parallel.

if they are all on the tender together wouldnt they all just stay topped off?

you would be correct, but im too busy riding the other 3

5. KevinD

KevinD
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    Not necessarily.

What will happen is the batteries will equalize, and if you've one weak/bad cell in one battery, it could well ruin the other three.

And I don't know if 900ma/4=225mA will be enough to float charge the batteries.

And just ignore anything FFF says about battery tenders :)

KevinD

6. Jims08Z06

Jims08Z06
    Expand Collapse
    Bat Crazed

One needs chargers for the specific batteries. IE Lithium, Gel Cell, Wet Acid Cell, AGM. There are chargers designed to charge mulitple batteries at once. I use two different versions of the "BatteryMINDer." For the car which will soon sit until spring, and the PU, I use Model 12248, which has a temperature sensor attached to the terminal to shut down the charger in case of overcharging. It also has selections for Acid-Flooded, AGM and Gel Cell. With charging selections of 2-4-8 amp; With auto Desulphator-Conditioner. For the tractor, bike and boat I use the less expensive 2amp BatteryMINDer Desulphator. (about $39.00) I got 11 years service from the tractor battery and the truck's are past 7 and still going...AJ
    www.vdcelectronics.com

7. Suzuki Stevo

Suzuki Stevo
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    Many
    Yeah it's the varying needs part that I wasn't sure about :scratchea
    So it's separate Battery Tenders for all...

[​IMG]

8. shelbyguy

shelbyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Picture Whore

like you, i tihnk this may be my only option.

2 of which i think i can get away with as both are new gel cells jobs, the other 2 not so much.

9. KevinD

KevinD
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    It would be a Bad Idea to mix different types (wet, gel, AGM, etc.) of batteries in any configuration, as the chemistry, and thus the voltages, are a wee bit different in each.

I've had great luck with the Yuasa SmartShot trickle charger maintainers.

Watch the cheapo HF maintainers: they're not rated for AGM or gelcell batteries. They seem OK for a normal wet cell.

KevinD

10. Wrench

Wrench
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    anything I can
    I dont see a need for a tender if you ride the bike often, but...

...if I were in your shoes I would go with a NOCO Genius over a Deltran Battery Tender. They have a whole lot more technology packed in their systems. A NOCO Genius G4 will support four different batteries at one time.
    [​IMG]

As was stated earlier, running unequal batteries in parallel may cause the life to be shortened.

#10 Wrench, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  11. GixxerTek

GixxerTek
    Expand Collapse

Oh Oh Oh who is the cheap fuck?:thefinge:

12. shelbyguy

shelbyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Picture Whore

thank you for that info... seems a solid charger, can put bike batteries, rv, vehicle batteries.....great unit

i wouldnt say 230.00 is cheap when considering will keep moto batteris, and vehicle batteries charged up.

http://www.geniuschargers.com/G4

but it seems to be the answer

#12 shelbyguy, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  13. Andy Capp

Andy Capp
    Expand Collapse

Traditional/correct battery storage will save you a bunch and be better for the batteries. Fully charge, disconnect, cover terminals, clean the casing with a damp cloth, dry, place on wooden floor or board and store in a cool (not cold) dry place. Check condition of batteries at least on a monthly basis and recharge every 3-6 months or as and when charge drops below 80%.

There are occasions when tenders are hugely convenient but batteries do best if they are either in use or disconnected and stored correctly.

14. RedKat600

RedKat600
    Expand Collapse
    Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

Not necessary, old wives tale. Proven this wrong time and time again. Used to be true when battery cases were made from hard rubber, as they were somewhat porous and had a high-carbon content. An electrical current could be conducted through it when placed on a concrete floor, causing a weak short circuit.

But today's batteries cases are ABS plastic and can sit on concrete indefinitely.

Batteries discharge slowly all the time. . . so regardless of where you leave one, if it sits long enough without being recharged, it will go dead.

15. james1300

james1300
    Expand Collapse
    Track School Dazed

I can't remember the name of the product. It is designed to use with a single 'smart charger' I'll try and find it. It looks like a spyder.
    Your smart charger plugs into the unit. The unit has 4-5 leads coming off it going to 4-5 batteries. The unit has its own 'smartness'. it monitors each battery and charges as needed. Now you can have one smart charger doing the work of up to 5.
    Retail for the unit is $90.00. I'll keep looking for the info.

#15 james1300, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  16. Andy Capp

Andy Capp
    Expand Collapse

It is best practice (not necessary) to have a cheap disposable material (like wood) that forms a physical barrier between the battery and the structure it is temporarily stored on. Should the battery leak or suffer charging damage acid will not damage your shelves or garage flooring. The nice thing about wood, for concrete floors, is it helps prevent the floor cooling the battery below ambient air temperature which you intended the battery to be stored at.

Temperature of the stored battery will have a much greater significance on self-discharge rates than any possible/theoretical capacitive discharge effects of storing on concrete. Worrying about lime leaching into the battery is very old news indeed and not relevant in todays POLYPROPYLENE cased batteries.

Since my wife sees fit to mention how cold the floor is and why I don't use something to stop dirt getting on the garage floor I'm going to have to agree with you that the origins are most likely from a wife.

#16 Andy Capp, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  17. Wrench

Wrench
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    anything I can
    Best thing you can do for your batteries is keep them charged, no matter what method you use, and no matter what they are on. Keep them charged by running the bike often or monitor them on a charging system.

It is when they are discharged that they become highly susceptible to irreparable damage.

18. RC51

RC51
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    Motorcycle
    If you want to be a real cheap ass, just use one tender and swap it to a new battery every morning. Added bonus is that it gives you an excuse to go out to the garage every day.

19. shelbyguy

shelbyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Picture Whore

going out to the garage every morning wont help anything, needs to be every night.