Bicycle helmet?!

Discussion in 'Adventure Time' started by PeteN95, Oct 19, 2012.

1. PeteN95

PeteN95
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I have a buddy who has been trail riding with a downhill bicycle helmet and swears by it. This got me thinking, so I went and checked some out. I ended up buying a Bell Drop helmet. It is very impressive, all fiberglass shell, removeable liner, great ventilation, and the most nose to chin bar clearance af any helmet I've ever tried (critical dimension for me). It seems very solid, very similar to a motorcycle helmet, but weighs just over 2lbs. I don't think I would ride the Desert 100 or a Supermoto track with it, but for casual single track, it seems fine. And best of all I got it for $73 and it only lists for $129. Here it is:

[​IMG]

Downhillers do need some serious protection!:

[​IMG]

2. james1300

james1300
    Expand Collapse
    Track School Dazed

Is it DOT?

3. koorbloh

koorbloh
    Expand Collapse
    Je Fa Fa

I Ride:
    dirty bikes!
    damn, kinda like that idea for shizz like that, honestly.

I have no doubt it would be fine for "slow trail" speeds, those bicycle guys do insane shizz

4. KevinD

KevinD
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    Who cares if you're using it off-road only?

KevinD

5. Ashex

Ashex
    Expand Collapse

Bicycle helmets aren't rated for crashes at the speed you would be going on a dirt bike, don't expect it to hold up if you hit something hard like a rock or tree.

6. tod701

tod701
    Expand Collapse

All depends on how important your brain is to you.

I would recommend something with a Snell approval specifically for motorcycles, but that's just me.

7. james1300

james1300
    Expand Collapse
    Track School Dazed

My hard drive cares. Not interested in becoming a drooling idiot because of a helmet that wasn't rated for motorcycling. Something about being so screwed-up that someone else has to wipe me bum. That don't excite me.

8. Brandon16166

Brandon16166
    Expand Collapse

Ive owned many bike helmets and they will hold up fine with trail riding. Ive crashed many times and put my bike helmets to good use, on both dirt bikes and while racing bmx. I wouldn't trust it slamming into a concrete wall at 65, but trail riding you'll be fine.

9. clutchrow

clutchrow
    Expand Collapse

Good price. Mind sharing where from?

10. antivalve

antivalve
    Expand Collapse

Would they hold up to the weight of a bike tumbling with you? I know i have taken the weight of the bike at least twice. One of which was a down hill stoppie that went horribly wrong.

11. PeteN95

PeteN95
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

It is definitely an individuals choice, but I feel good about it after looking at it, certainly better than riding a Harley on the freeway with no helmet at all. I'm never going to do anything close to some of the extreme downhill guys. It looks like a light weight motorcycle helmet, quite solid, very similar interior padding, and holds certification to both the CPSC bicycle helmet standard and the ASTM downhill standard. I do think it could handle the bike landing on it and I weigh nearly as much as the bike anyway.

I ordered it from Amazon, but there are several places on line that have them on sale, depending on size. They do run very large, the large fits me perfect and I usually wear XL or XXL.

12. mcjunky

mcjunky
    Expand Collapse

I don't think I've ever really had an issue with "neck fatigue", now arm pump, shoulders and legs are a different story!
    I'll stick with my dot & snell lid, especially with the chance of oncoming traffic. 2 of my friends have been involved with hitting on coming riders and I've heard of plenty others as well. That's something the downhill mt bike guys don't have to deal with:scared

13. clutchrow

clutchrow
    Expand Collapse

Thx. It wouldn't be for MC duty in my case.

14. fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred
    Expand Collapse

I thinkits a great idea for trail riding. My kind of trails are 2nd or 3rd gear, anyway, which is probably a lot less than 40 mph, more like 30 in the woods. I can think of many rides where the damn helmet started to get very heavy after a50 mile section.

15. tod701

tod701
    Expand Collapse

If neck fatigue after 50 miles is an issue, work the neck muscles.
    You need them no matter which helmet you chose.

16. fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred
    Expand Collapse

If it weren't for the helmet law, I would have almost no use for one.

17. uber1

uber1
    Expand Collapse

#17 uber1, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  18. dakh

dakh
    Expand Collapse

Funny how it plays out. I also have the same exact Bell helmet for my push-bike adventures. And was also thinking about wearing it for single track throttle-bike use. But, it's winter, it's not that hot anymore and my Suomy Spectre is only about 3/4lbs, um, less light.

Probably fine to wear on tight single track, in fact who knows maybe even better since it's designed to protect against the kind of impacts that happen in woods riding.

19. tod701

tod701
    Expand Collapse

. . . .and offroad motorcycle helmets are not?

I support people wearing (or not wearing) whatever hat they want, but as someone that might know a tiny bit more than "probably" and such relating to motorsport injuries, know how I prefer and recommend how to manage the grey matter stabilization.

Do what works for you, just dont bitch (or drool all funny) if the noodle containment plan doesn't work out.

20. ZXWUT?

ZXWUT?
    Expand Collapse

What does it matter what you're falling off of if the speed is the same?