Bike parking etiquette

Discussion in 'Eastside' started by Chandita, May 2, 2012.

1. So I pull into gym. Parking lot is full. I see a blue sv by itself in a parking spot. I share the spot w it. Park as far away as possible without getting door dinged by the adjacent gargantuan SUV. Sv in upper right hand corner. Supercock in lower left hand corner.

Is this cool? Or bad bike etiquette? I don't know the sv owner.

Sitting here at bike night by myself killing time....:)

2. Avboden

I Ride:
    1991 XR250L, 2007 BMW F800S, 1999 ATK 605 ESDS/SM
    totally cool, I wouldn't care at all if I took a spot and another bike was there when I got back. As long as I could get out fine.

3. I enjoy coming out and seeing another bike next to mine. Even when there are other open spaces.

4. I say it works. if anything, it helps raise visibility. i always worry some ding dong will fly into a spot, late for work or something, and not see my bike. then hit it. and then run away. i think 2 bikes reduces the chances of that. plus, maybe i will meet the rider and find a new riding buddy? But that's just me. i guess i could see someone having a different opinion..........

5. Same...i have done it and dont mind if somone else does
    Posted via PNW Riders Mobile

6. As long as I can still get my bike out when I am ready to leave others can share the parking spot with me.

7. BAD BAD BAD Etiquette!!!

You should have parked on the sidewalk next to the front door.

Hell my gym encourages that.

8. Not sure if my gym encourages it....but that's where the bikes park, up on the sidewalk outside the main doors.

9. I always try to park next to other bikes....if someone gets mad, they are a tool.

10. Jims08Z06

Jims08Z06 Bat Crazed

I wouldn't be offended by what you described. With only one bike in a parking it could be tempting for a small car to try and share the space? Personally I do what Evander does, when at all possible. Most certainly Never Ever park where I can't at least go to a window and check periodically...AJ

11. dizzle

dizzle WHO is DANE?

I do it all the time, unless parking next to the front door on the side walk is available.

Whenever I park in a single spot, I always try to leave room for other bikes to fit into the spot as well.

12. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Works for me. If it where my spot and you parked next to me, no problem.

13. Pick

totally cool with me too. as long as i'm not blocked in, i wouldn't mind one bit. always like it when bikes park close together.

14. You're obviously a gentleman - you should leave this site promptly, there's no place here for the likes of you -

15. 1shinysideup

I Ride:
    a barstool
    I wouldn't mind.

16. No problems as long as no one gets blocked in.

17. totally kewl.

18. Michael of Burien

I Ride:
    2005 BMW R1200GS, 2002 Honda CBR954rr (Project)
    I like coming out and finding another bike next to mine. Lots more eyes watching our mutual stuff. As long as we can both get out I'm totally cool with it.

19. So what is not cool when parking a bike?

I see bikes parked in all kinds of crazy places that are obviously not parking spaces. Could/would you get a ticket for this? What do businesses think of this? Is there a general rule of what is and what is not ok?

One place I will park often is at the end of a row or other place that is still marked off but is obviously not a parking space for a car. Tons of room for a bike, safe and not taking up a car spot.