"Breaking In" a new bike???

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by cajunmike, Jun 17, 2012.

1. I dont want to hurt my new Kawasaki 250r, how aggressive is to aggressive? at what milage is considered to be broken in? RPM'S?

2. My prefered method is to low side it both sides. Also allows you to test out your gear, or the coefficient of friction for your skin if you're not wearing gear.

3. Let me have it for a an hour or two..

Solow89 likes this.
  4. Bluuu

Bluuu Señor verde

I Ride:
    a motorcycle
    Drop it off at my house for a week. I'll take care of it for you. Don't worry your pretty little head about a thing. Just come back next week and it will be all ready for you to ride.

5. Wyckedan

I Ride:
    RSV4 Factory
    Run it up into all the rpm's, don't hold it at any one rpm for very long, change gears every 15 seconds. 600 miles is typically how long it will take a street bike. Or take it to Nels and have him do a Dyno break in for you, I had him do it on my CBR, and it worked great. Basically you want to ride it how you're gonna ride it for it's lifetime.

6. mjn

mjn Forum Admin
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    '05 Busa, '81 Seca 550, '78 Hawk, '69 Z50A
    There are two schools of thought on this;

1.) Per the owners manual... which probably says something like "no more than 5,000 rpm for the first 200 miles, then no more than 8,000 rpm for the following 600 miles"... or something like that. (Owners manual will tell ya)
    2.) Break it in like you're gonna ride it.

#2 seems to be a very popular procedure, and while I'm sure you'll find plenty of folks that say they've had great luck with it... some have not.
    Take me for instance; I bought an 81 Seca 550 new and ran it like I was gonna ride it... I varied the rpm's plenty... but I didn't adhere to any rpm limits..

I spun a main bearing at 950 miles.

Since then, I've done kind of a hybrid between the two.. I did my best to keep the Busa under 5K for the first 200 miles... I think I made it to about 130 miles.. then all bets were off.

Personally, I'd say the manufacturer knows a fair amount about how the motor should be broken in.. I'd sway toward the "book" method.

7. Do what the book says....cya in case something goes funky...

8. Kawasaki simply recommends observing a 4,000 RPM limit for the first 500 miles. This is how I broke my new ninja 250r in. Tried to keep the rpms low, but still took the bike up to 50-55 mph a lot. Just don't let the engine stay at one constant rmp for too long, speed up or slow down/change gears.

9. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Follow the OWNER's Manual. Written by the company that built your machine.
    Listening to anything else, is begging for trouble.
    The Owners Manual is your bikes Bible. Use it.

10. Pick

11. Beat it like it owes you money. This also applies to your junk.

nemisis714 likes this.
  12. Ride it like you stole it, and wring its freakin neck... a 250R doesn't have enough torque to hurt it... The main thing is to seat the rings, which means pressure from WOT, and engine braking...

13. Good quality lube, climb on her back and easy into it slowly at first, make sure she is warmed up before you attempt to pick up the tempo. A varying action is best used here. Avoid "bogging" at all costs. Also keep a close eye for gas discharge that is not perfectly clear.

Some models you can go hell for leather right from the start but others models with tighter clearances need a little more initial care. You don't won't to blow a ring before you really get going on her.

If your friends are starting a similar venture with theirs, don't be temped to make a competition of it. Some girls need a extra time and care. Don't forget this is a big moment for both of you so cherish it together and not in company. You will reap the rewards for this later.

Interpret the manual so you don't find yourself in a situation you are not prepared for..........

...........and absoluting no wolf bagging in the first month!

14. Yamacrab

15. jh14

I get the same answer from many people about not leaving the engine at a steady RPM for tool long during break-in. I have yet to find a definition for 'too long'. Are we talking 2 minutes, 20 minutes or 2 hours??? (as long as it has a 2 in it... ;) )

16. What you did there, i see it...

17. Bluuu

Bluuu Señor verde

I Ride:
    a motorcycle
    crackup:

Wish somebody would explain that shit to me...

so I'd know if I should be ashamed or not.

#18 Bluuu, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  18. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    This. Done many an engine this way and it works GREAT! Just don't redline the thing, but don't baby it either. Change the oil after the first 200 miles, then 500 miles, then 1500 miles, then the recommended interval. Keeps all the nasties out of the engine.

19. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

So you follow this guy's advice and break your new bike.
    Now what? You think he's gonna help you?
    He's out NOTHING. You on the other hand get to try to get the factory
    to cover your stupid mistake. Or PAY for the repairs yourself $$$
    This Motoman offers BAD advice.