Deadly Crash in Hillsboro

Discussion in 'Portland Region' started by ashfoot, Oct 11, 2012.

1. ashfoot

I Ride:
    from cloud to cloud
    Source: http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/loca...illsboro-accident/2E_6gaPtkk275l9_sovFfw.cspx

HILLSBORO, Ore. – A motorcyclist has died following a crash involving a pickup truck Thursday morning in Hillsboro.

The crash was reported at 7:20 a.m. in the intersection of Northeast Brookwood Parkway and Cornell Road. According to Hillsboro police, the motorcyclist, a 60-year-old man from Bethany, died at the scene. His name was not released.

Hillsboro police report that a 2003 Chevrolet pickup truck driven by a 51-year-old woman from Aloha was turning left onto Brookwood, from Cornell, when it struck a 2006 Buell motorcycle that was traveling south on Brookwood. The Chevrolet was turning on a flashing yellow signal, and it appears the driver did not see the motorcycle, Hillsboro police said. The Chevrolet’s driver was not injured.

Investigators do not believe drugs, alcohol or speed were factors in the crash.

The intersection remained closed for several hours. Cornell Road was closed from 25th Avenue to Elam Young Parkway. Brookwood Parkway was closed from Airport Way to Main Street. Commuters were urged to avoid the area amid morning rush hour traffic.

The Washington County Crash Analysis Reconstruction Team and Hillsboro police are investigating.

[​IMG]

RIP rider:pale:

#1 ashfoot, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. R.I.P rider, prayers to the family/friends. The two year anniversary of losing my best friend is approaching and knowing the aftermath of this...damn

3. Devil1

Devil1 Blingaphobe

Saw it on the news. RIP to the Rider.

Yellow bike.

[​IMG]

4. Bleh, I'm feeling sick to my stomach about this one. I passed through that intersection about a minute before it happened going westbound. As I was ordering my breakfast from Burgerville all of the EMS vehicles flew by. I didn't think anything of it so attempted to make my way back eastbound to where I was working on Elam Young Pkwy. I was thinking it was just a fender bender hoping that they'd just direct traffic around the accident, unfortunately it was much more serious than that.

I unfortunately saw the accident scene, it looked bad, not an image that's going to leave my head for a long time.

RIP Rider....

5. DGA

DGA Moderator
    Staff Member

Very sad.

Is it just me, or are we having a lot more of these than ever before? Between lost friends and all the RIP threads that have popped up this year I think it's a record breaking one in the worst way possible.

6. Cesario

I Ride:
    2003 Ducati ST4s (El Toro)
    RIP Rider

Be super alert and safe everyone.

7. Agreed. There seems to have been many more this year. Which could be because there are more motorcycle on the road, statistically...

But it's still fucked. And really makes you think about the days you have.

RIP rider.

8. Heard that on the radio....sad...RIP.

9. xpertss

I Ride:
    I ride a motorcycle... How cool is me?
    Very Sad!!!! R.I.P rider!

10. galenernest

galenernest I bathe with candles, flowers, jazz music, and rub

I Ride:
    Jialing 150 enduro
    Sad news... RIP.

11. Rider is a 60 yr old from Hillsboro on a 2006 Buell.

Truck turning left didn't see the motorcyclist. :angry7:

12. Sounds like manslaughter to me...

13. Damn.

I was on the bike running errands all over yesterday and I thought I had a fucking target painted on me. Four times I had to make emergency moves to avoid what would have been serious, probably life threatening crashes.

I don't know if driver awareness ads work but I'd like to see a mega program with "watch for motorcycles" signs and gruesome pics like the one below. At least I'd feel like somebody was trying to help us out.

14. dscott3509

dscott3509 Parts Collector

Fuck driver awareness ads. Start making it a requirement that before you can renew your license you need to take a driver safety course, the Team Oregon course, and a bicycle/pedestrian safety course. How many careers require continuing education, make it a requirement that if you want to have a license, you need to take continuing education classes.

15. That was a violent impact, just look at the truck bumper..

16. Deacon71

I Ride:
    2001 GSXR 600
    Very sad, RIP rider :sad:

17. I have been calling all the members I know in my club who have Buells, so far, it looks like it's not ones of ours.

But I am almost sure I know that bike.......

If I find out anything I will post as soon as the family says it's okay.

18. 1shinysideup

I Ride:
    a barstool
    tragic.

"didn't see him." I hope the drivers repeats those words for the rest of his / her life and thinks about that moment.

R.I.P

19. bryawn

I Ride:
    GPz1100, TE610E
    What a bummer. I always wonder about distracted driving (playing with cell phone, radio, AC etc.) in cases like this. Hope police investigate thoroughly and press charges. Not acceptable.

RIP rider

20. Yet another reason to make sure your family and friends know you love them. You might not get another chance to tell them.