close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Decisions, decisions! Which bike to choose.

Discussion in 'Kitsap' started by RODEHARD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. 15,000mi service intervals, 180+hp box stock, twin power delivery and track ready components from the factory makes the 1199 look pretty neat.

2. Here is a PDF form a dealership in Myrtle beach. Harley puts the schedule in there repair manuals, and you are not to copy and post it anywhere on the web.

Harley is very proactive in protecting there copyrighted material.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41093&d=1181168499
    To kinda condense it for you, Harley wants oil changes @ 5,000 miles, primary and transmission changes @ 20,000. The big service for the touring bikes comes @ 50K, that is when you repack the steering head and forks.

Personally I change my oil @ 3,000 miles......but that is just me.

And Harley has No valve adjustments.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

3. Now just for shits-n-giggles here is a schedule for a Ducati.

[​IMG]

Wow, that there looks like the bike is going to need allot of attention to me.

4. This is the one for the 2 valve engine bikes.

[​IMG]

5. The power delivery is more like that of an I4. Doesn't start making power until way later than the xx98 bikes

6. Most of that stuff in that list are things you should be checking before each ride anyway (oil level, tire pressure, etc.) Also, that is a schedule for older Ducatis, and not the schedule for my 2008 1098S. That is probably people think Ducatis are maintenance monsters, because those olders certainly were! Newer ones have much better intervals.

I don't have a nice one page PDF of the schedule for my bike, but here are the major items;
    Every 7,500 miles: Oil, filter, check/adjust valves, check belts, air filter, TB sync, and a lot of "checks" (fluid levels, tire pressures, etc., etc.)
    Every 15,000 miles: all of the above except change the belts and change the plugs.
    Every 22,500 miles: The 7,500 mile service, plus change the fork oil, clutch and brake fluid, and coolant.

Really doesn't seem out of whack to me.

7. Harleys don't need any of that.
    Wear out parts last forever on a trailer.

8. Get two. Used BMW and used KTM. The 1199 can wait.

9. I was in the same boat earlier this year. I wanted a nice super-sport bike and was looking at some of the same bikes.

https://pnwriders.com/motorcycle-talk/166021-motorcycle-delima.html

I was a little more on the budget and 1199 was not an option for due to price and availability at the time.
    Now I have a sweet 2010 S1000RR Motorsport in the garage that I got a great deal on with some nice mods that came with it. I have no regrets with my choice and its a lot more bike than I can use but its fun :). After working (regular maintenance) on my BMW I'm amazed at the build quality and engineering that when into this machine.

10. Okay so I'm off topic from what you're asking here, but do you have any idea what happened with your R1's engine to make it fail with so few miles? With the build quality of modern bikes it would seem that either something was amiss from the factory, or the bike was abused in some manner and/or not properly maintained. If the reason for the failure was the former & not the latter, I'm sure other R1 owners would be interested in hearing what it was.

11. BS list, funny though

12. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

Derp. :tard: You absolutely fail at reading....that chart is NOT a Ducati chart. Also, that's not a Panigale chart....that's an older air cooled 2 valve chart. Someday I hope you will get it right and will be able to post something relevant within the context of a thread. To quote from that website....

http://www.ducatisuite.com/maintcharts.html

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  13. This.

Enquiring minds want to know.

14. When was that website previously noted in this thread? I don't see it prior to your post, so how would someone know it is someone's custom schedule? :scratchea

15. I like the beemer. Little details like the round blue and white emblem for style points :).

Germans did a bang up job taking the available sportbike technology and using it to their advantage. Much like Ernst Degner that defected to japan from MZ and Walter Kaaden (expansion chamber masta) to give the secrets to the japanese on two strokes. <--- I had to look that up!

belated payback maybe? :)

16. Test ride all three of them to find out which one works best for you, they are all great bikes.

As for my personal experience, the BMW S1000RR has served me well for the past 2 years and approx. 14K miles (including a little over 1,000 miles at the track).

17. ninjaofdoom

ninjaofdoom <a href="https://pnwriders.com/motorcycle-talk/8554

Had a 2010 RC8R and now have a Tricolore Panigale.

The KTM is a beast and a blast to ride, and the new twin spark motor is FAR smoother. My 1199 loses low end grunt but the top end is NUTS and comes with all the electronic farkles.

Rode the beemer, wasn't for me. If you dont care about ABS/Trac Cont, I'd say RC8R.

18. So here's the skinny. Like alot of you out there i use every bit of my r1 but never beat it. The service on my bike was done at brothers power sports. And at every service interval the work was done, the records speak for themselves. I believe there mechanics have done good work. So after their investigation of the engine it was noted that the engine timing chain missed a couple teeth thus starting a chain of events. Nothing is perfect and up to that point had absolutely no problems with any yamaha bikes that i have owned. Will i get another, probably not. That's just me, others will probably never have this happen to them. And i say good luck! I will draft a letter to yamaha corp. Soon to let them know that they have lost a most valued customer.

19. THANK YOU BROTHERS POWERSPORTS FOR BEARING WITH ME TILL I WAS ABLE TO GET ANOTHER R1 ENGINE FOR MY BIKE, ( TOOK A COUPLE OF TRYS!) IT'S A GAMBLE WITH E-BAY FOR SURE, BUT THE SECOND ENGINE WAS A WINNER AND SOUNDS AND RUNS AS GOOD AS NEW, WITH I MIGHT ADD 7000 LESS MILES ON THE MOTOR. THANK GOD WE STILL HAVE SOME NICE RIDING DAYS LEFT TO ENJOY.:mfclap: