Dirt bike conversions in Washington?

Discussion in 'Adventure Time' started by SpinCycle, Jul 9, 2012.

1. SpinCycle

SpinCycle
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    A bunch of Clown bikes..
    So has anyone went through the process for making a dirt bike road legal yet? Has anyone investigated what it costs for the dealer to do the whole thing to a new bike? Just wondering how that is working out....

2. SPLATT

SPLATT
    Expand Collapse

For me to do it to my 04 WR450 it cost in the neighborhood of about $600 including inspection,titling,DOT tires,lighting kit and some miscellaneous parts and pieces.

3. hartattack

hartattack
    Expand Collapse

I tried to get the plate back on my KTM 525 but I learned from I-90 Motorsports that most of the dealerships (them included) are not inspecting bikes because the law doesn't protect them in the event that a person takes some street required parts off their bike (blinkers, mirrors, etc...) and then they get a ticket, and turn around and say "well that dealership said it was street legal, so it's their fault".

Though I have heard that some dealerships are inspecting.

4. james1300

james1300
    Expand Collapse
    Track School Dazed

Full Throttle, in Kennewick, Wa. does inspections for 75.00
    All the dealership needs to cover themselfs is a check list with the state requirements.
    After completeing the check list requirements and inspection the bike can be signed off.
    The bike owner signs and gets a copy and the inspection dealer keeps a copy. After that what an owner does is up to the owner.
    "The dealer has a dated, signed written form stating on this date at this time this bike passed".
    Do a search on this forum. There has been discussion about your questions. The State of Washington has the requirements on their web-site.
    A friend had his Suzuki DRZ-400 inspected. He sourced the required parts himself and installed them himself.

5. hartattack

hartattack
    Expand Collapse

Thats what I thought. But I guess some dealerships just dont want to take the risk.

6. james1300

james1300
    Expand Collapse
    Track School Dazed

There really isnt a 'risk'. The state is very clear on the equipment they want on the bike.
    "The DEALERSHIP dont want to get involved". Its just like buying a new or used street bike. Mod. the signals and you can get a ticket. Is the dealer held liable? No. The owner is responsiable for the maintance of the bikes safety equipment. NOT the dealer. Unless the dealer installs the non-DOT signals and all the other stuff people get tickets for.

Full Throttle in Kennewick, WA. Does inspections. Bring your completed bike over!

7. hartattack

hartattack
    Expand Collapse

If only I was closer. :scratchea

8. nwboardsports

nwboardsports
    Expand Collapse

This has been discussed on thumpertalk quite a bit too. I found a good deal on a baja kit and should be able to get my ktm plated for under $500. I plan on reselling the kit after as I only want the play for forest service roads to connect trails.

9. james1300

james1300
    Expand Collapse
    Track School Dazed

I'll find out where on your side inspections are done.

#9 james1300, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  10. slo rider

slo rider
    Expand Collapse

I believe Tasky's does inspections.

11. james1300

james1300
    Expand Collapse
    Track School Dazed

Coyote off road...they have a web site and, they will help with installs.
    LINK>>http://coyoteoffroad.com/

They are in Snohomish

#11 james1300, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  12. tod701

tod701
    Expand Collapse

Some dealerships are uncomfortable with the liability signing off that the bike complies with all applicable federal standards.

FMVSS should only apply to new bikes and bikes for sale or import, but if the state were to assert that FMVSS was applicable to privately owned used vehicles there is no dealership that can demonstrate compliance with that standard.

13. tod701

tod701
    Expand Collapse

I spend over $1k on my CRF250X conversion, but it is letter of the law perfect.

Has to be since I helped write the law and cannot be poster boy for shortcutting the requirements.

14. tod701

tod701
    Expand Collapse

Keep in mind that if you get caught, the state is tracking abuse of this new law and the legislature will be quick to yank it if they percieve a noncompliance problem.

15. Texasl

Texasl
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, 1988 H-D (Project) Electra-Glide

The onus is on the motorcycle owner to attest to the proper equipment is installed when the motorcycle is registered as a converted bike. RCW 46.61.705 (1)(a) requires that the owner files the declaration with DOL. All the dealer does is affirm a safety inspection was done to ensure compliance at the time of inspection.

16. tod701

tod701
    Expand Collapse

On the DoL form, the dealership or other inspecting entity must sign off on the following:

Does the equipment comply with state and federal requirements?

If they perceive that the applicable federal requirements include 49CRF571, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) then proving compliance to that is well beyond the capability of an motorcycle dealership that I am familiar with.

Link to 49CFR571:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title49/49cfr571_main_02.tpl

That said, it is my opinion that FMVSS should not be applicable in most cases such as privately owned used motorcycles.

My findings are based on 49USC30112 and it states in part that 49CFR571 is limited in applicability to vehicles manufactured for sale, sell, offer for sale, introduced or delivered for introduction in interstate commerce, or imported into the United States.

Link to 49USC30112:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/standards/chapt301.html#30101

17. OgerWA

OgerWA
    Expand Collapse

If you want to do the convention cheaper. Then look into the Tusk enduro light kit. I know a couple of guys who used it and it was vastly cheaper then the Baja kit.

18. uber1

uber1
    Expand Collapse

19. shelbyguy

shelbyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Picture Whore

ive got my 05 525smr plated,

it wasnt a pain in the ass

bought some dot blinkers, oem ktm headlight, a dot tail light, made a wiring harnessand trail tech vapor...had dealer inspect, they signed off....

and now i has plate...

20. SpeedTriple

SpeedTriple
    Expand Collapse

So let me ask this, about that... Are you required to pay for dual registration after this inspection process? I got my KDX converted and signed off and my local office is telling me I get the privilege of paying for both a plate and orv sticker every year. They are also telling me it doesn't do a thing for the "brand" on the title that says it's not eligible for on road use. I would think they would atleast change the "brand" to say that it's been converted. No?