Do you carry a flat repair kit?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by kippen, Jul 5, 2012.

1. kippen

kippen
    Expand Collapse

Last weekend I got a flat in my rear tire. Luckily I was really close to home, so it wasn't a big deal. I've been quite lucky up until this point and haven't gotten many flats, but now that I'm older and wiser (HA), I was thinking that it would be smart to carry a tire repair kit.

Do you guys carry one? If so, what should I look for in a kit? This one seemed to be a pretty decent one: http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-tire-and-tube-flat-repair-kit

How hard is it to plug a tire out on the road?

Just to clarify, I'm only looking for something that will get me back home. I'm not into the idea of riding on a plugged tire for an extended amount of time.

2. AE86Corolla

AE86Corolla
    Expand Collapse

I can't really add a lot but, I carry one in my R1. I got it from Cycle Gear a few years back. Haven't had to use it though.

When I was at South Sound BMW last year one of the techs did a demo on plugging a tire. If I remember, it can be done in 10-20 minutes or so. It look terribly hard to do.

http://www.bikebandit.com/genuine-innovations-repair-and-inflation-economy-kit

That's the one I have.

3. caslaw

caslaw
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    2002 ZZR 1200
    I carry a plug kit and a portable pump. Only had to plug at home so far though. The pump has been handy. :secret:

Slime makes a pump and a plug kit.

4. varment

varment
    Expand Collapse

Wal mart has a pretty good "kit"... It has a 12v pump that you can run off your battery or while the bike is running. it comes with slime but some plugs and tools could go in there really easy. The whole thing will fit under my passenger seat. It was only like $20 and I figure it will at least get me home...

5. infidel

infidel
    Expand Collapse

I got a nice kit at MotoCorsa, and I wired up a plug to run a little pump out of a "Slime" kit.

It's paid for itself :)

6. motodave

motodave
    Expand Collapse

Does AAA count for fix a flats? the amount of miles I put on my bikes I cant be without a plug kit and a portable airpump from Slim. also carry AAA in case something doesnt work right.

7. Mic

Mic
    Expand Collapse
    Retired

Remember, you need AAA RV Platinum Plus in order to cover Motorcycles (150 a year).

8. shelbyguy

shelbyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Picture Whore

i can second this
    i have the same one

9. Avboden

Avboden
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    1991 XR250L, 2007 BMW F800S, 1999 ATK 605 ESDS/SM
    pays for itself the first time you use it, that's what i've got. AAA has been nothing but awesome over the years.

10. andykeck

andykeck
    Expand Collapse

AMA membership comes with motorcycle roadside assistance for $49/yr.

11. thomb

thomb
    Expand Collapse

I've got a slime pump and generic plug kit under the seat. It's come in handy three times so far. Don't leave home without it.

12. GS1200

GS1200
    Expand Collapse

I carry this kit http://www.advdesigns.com/mitipukitwit.html one in each bike.

I had a flat on a dirt road near Mexico 2 years ago. I was 95 miles from the closest shop. I plugged the tire and aired it up. The tire was trash but I was able to make it to the shop to get it replaced.

2 months after that I had another flat 30 miles from home. I did not have the kit with me as it was in the other bike. It cost me $40 to have my bike towed to the shop that was 2 miles away. Than I paid top dollar for a tire and another $30 to have it mounted. The bill was over $400. All this could have been avoided if I had the kit with me. So now, a kit is in each bike.

13. trav87

trav87
    Expand Collapse

I carry a plug kit and a CO2 inflater with currently 6 CO2 cartridges. I get my CO2 from work. They usually end up recycling them because medical quality cartridges are only certified for one year. Have yet to need it tho...knocks on wood

14. thirsty 1

thirsty 1
    Expand Collapse

15. gpd323

gpd323
    Expand Collapse

16. RideMotto

RideMotto
    Expand Collapse

I have a flat repair kit that has 2 CO2 canisters but also acts as an air pump in case the CO2 runs out. That way I have a backup to my backup.

17. Spiffy

Spiffy
    Expand Collapse

I carry a spare tire on my scooter, and a spare tube, and a patch kit, and a pump... with the sidecar I have 3 tires to worry about and they're not as durable as a normal motorcycle tire...

I would always suggest carrying a plug kit and something to re-inflate... it's so much cheaper than paying somebody else to rescue you...

I haven't plugged a bike tire but I've plugged a car tire and it was pretty simple and didn't take very long at all...

just make sure you still have a good bead so you don't waste CO2 re-inflating after the plug...

18. mjn

mjn
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Admin
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    '05 Busa, '81 Seca 550, '78 Hawk, '69 Z50A
    ^^ This.

19. Michael of Burien

Michael of Burien
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    2005 BMW R1200GS, 2002 Honda CBR954rr (Project)
    This is the one I carry. http://www.stopngo.com/products/TUBELESS-PUNCTURE-PILOT.html

Haven't had to use it yet. The little pump has a couple of power options. One of which is the plug for my battery tender. Also have one of the standard plug/patch types with CO2 for my other DR650 which has tubes.

20. strangerin

strangerin
    Expand Collapse

THIS - w/ dome plugs

NOT This - w/ gummi worm strips