Do you use hand signals or turn signals?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Apr 2, 2006.

?

Do you use your turn signals or your hands to signal?

1. Turn signals

54 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Hand signals

8 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Both hand and turn.

46 vote(s)
    40.7%
  4. I dont signal.

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. beansbaxter

beansbaxter
    Expand Collapse
    PNW Admin
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    ZX-10R
    When your out and about on the motorcycle, do you prefer/use your turn signals or your hands to signal?

2. Turtle

Turtle
    Expand Collapse

I use turn signals while riding alone, and have been trying to get into the habit of using hand siganls when out of a group.

3. Johnny-B

Johnny-B
    Expand Collapse

I just point when I'm riding with others...use the signals when riding by myself.

4. Wingman

Wingman
    Expand Collapse
    PNW Ambassador

I do both alone or with a group of riders just a habit I have always done...8) 8) 8)

5. freezincold

freezincold
    Expand Collapse

It depends on who I am around and what mood I am in. Sometimes hand signals alone seem easier. Sometimes both seem safer. Sometime signal lights seem more legal or easier or something.

6. titan6r

titan6r
    Expand Collapse

I use both signals when in a group but mainly the normal turn signals and a head check every once and a while when riding alone.

7. UrfavNME

UrfavNME
    Expand Collapse
    AnthonyADMulisha<br />Admit or Deny!?!?

Both..Better safe than sorry when you're dealin wit the Cagers in Spokane...:angry7:

8. tedg04

tedg04
    Expand Collapse
    ted sux

I used turns, but since my accident they don't work. I'm not too terribly concerned with it, as I'm okay with hand signals alone, and that will give me more flexibility on my next FE.

9. BGL

BGL
    Expand Collapse

I pretty much do both at all times, in rare instances though if literally no one (cage + bikers) is around i'll slack a little. Even if no other bikes are around sometimes i'll toss down a slow-down hand signal (on i5) and rarely even a 'cop' signal just in case any cager actually knows what that means. It seems about 25% of cagers actually understand the slow-down one (if done properly and obviously). I'll also flash the brake light in pretty much any/all situations (in the cage too) prior & during slowing down. In the cage i'll usually flash the brake per down shift too. Hand + Signals is like riding gear though, once you just get in the habit you feel naked w/out it. Just 2nd nature anymore

10. Bill Anderson

Bill Anderson
    Expand Collapse

I sometimes use hand signals plus turn signals when I am merging onto the freeway or changing lanes in heavy traffic as an additional way of attracting the cager's attention.

11. Oly ZX

Oly ZX
    Expand Collapse
    Daytime Adventure Seeker

I have been using hand signals more and more as well as signals. It is better to advertise your intentions in traffic to try and avoid anything more than the usual crazy sh@# that happens.

12. BGL

BGL
    Expand Collapse

it's not a bad idea to do a little signal when yer changing positions in the lane too (when with bikes + behind you) i'm pretty much in the habit of that (not needed very often)

13. mjn

mjn
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Admin
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    '05 Busa, '81 Seca 550, '78 Hawk, '69 Z50A
    Been in the habit of using both most of the time.....the more visibility, the better..

14. donthekawguy

donthekawguy
    Expand Collapse

I don't have turn signals so hand signals is for me. You don't need turn signals in Idaho so I keep my bike registered over there. :nana

15. brif4i

brif4i
    Expand Collapse

I use both when on the bike. I like to make my intentions know and figure if someone doesn't see my blinker maybe they will thing why the hell is this crazy guy waving his arms all around

16. afifick

afifick
    Expand Collapse

i use hand signals inthe day time cause my blinkers are small but at night there very bright so i just use the blinkers

17. robustus0007

robustus0007
    Expand Collapse

I don't signal at all, nor do I use the turn signal.

There are two reason for it. If I use the turn signals..no one can see them in the day time....and even if they can see it, hardly would it make any difference to the other...such kind of a traffic we have. Secondly, if I use the hand signal, its no good idea, anyone can hit you any time from behind so who is going to control the bike...crackup:

18. theJrod

theJrod
    Expand Collapse
    Racer Extraordinaire

Totally depends on the situation. If in a group, then I'll hand signal a lot just to make sure everyone sees it. If in traffic, and for some reason I think some cager isn't paying enough attention, I'll use hand signals. But I pretty much always signal my lane changes/turns.

19. badbrad

badbrad
    Expand Collapse

I use hand when on the freeway but into I use my blinkers.

20. RVFR

RVFR
    Expand Collapse
    Pilot in Command

I Ride:
    Cause I can
    Some what both, as like when I'm getting on the superslab, I'll turn and look then point at the lane I'm going into plus have the signal on, that way there's no guessing what I'm doing. Then theres the times when there's no time for a signal, like I'm around em before they'd even notice any signal was on, I know kinda risky, but sometimes I mean there just any time to be farting around just easier to just get it done and I'm outa harms way. When I'm in a group ride I signal hopfully long enough to let my buds know what I'm up to. but then there's also my body english thats letting em know too. vroom vroom