Does anyone still think Stoner's not all that good?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by theJrod, Jun 6, 2011.

1. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Seriously the kid can ride.

"Oh, but it's the electronics..."
    "He can't ride without traction control...."
    blah blah blah

I admit I'm not a big fan of his, and I still think he's a whiner, but dayum.

2. yard sale

yard sale snowshoe kitten... prrr...
    1. kKk

Not a fan but yeah that fuckin guy impressed me on Sunday.

3. i dont care that he whines, hes fun to watch. what i do care about is that he needs to shave that shit off his face.

4. Stoner is a great rider, just not any good at developing a bike.

5. I'vd always liked watching him race.

6. MCA8690

MCA8690 McLovin'

i think this was on a poster around Motocorsa when i worked there...such an impressive shot. it's just too bad non-bike people can't appreciate what's going on here :\

7. Jett

Probably not this exact pic as he is on a honda here. Wouldn't make much sense to have a poster of a honda rider in a ducati shop.

8. that is amazing. Like McCoy. I loved when that guy went over the top down south on the old 500.

you gotta give respect to people that can slide like that.

People that slide make the race more interesting. he's not even through the corner yet! Impressive. I guess that's what you call a text book example of gettting on the throttle early, no?

9. I have always thought Stoner was a great rider.
    All of the front guys are, even unlikeable Pedrobot and Spies.

I like the fact that he helped JD Beach, that was generous.
    But I'm still not much of a fan.

I don't think its fair to say Stoner can't set up a bike.
    He managed to win on the Duc when no one else was even able to be competitive.
    The new Honda wasn't set up prior to this season and he seems to be going OK on it.

I still think Rossi is head and shoulders above the rest.
    But you don't get to be world champion without loads of talent.

10. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

"OMG Stoner is only fast because of the Ducati! Forget that nobody else can ride the beast - it must be the bike with all its traction controlling magic."

11. What's happening here?

12. dragracer1951

dragracer1951 Moderator
    Staff Member

This

13. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator
    Staff Member

He is drifting a 200HP+ MotoGP bike so smoothly it is difficult to notice he is even doing it. From the angle, you can see it is aimed for the curb, but the bike is traveling to the right and never touches the curb!

I have always though Stoner was very good, even when he was crashing his first Honda 500s. I did not realize how fast until later. :shock:

14. 990's, Stoner never rode the big 2-smokers...

In his defence, he was on a support Honda team, pre spec tires and its reported that he wasn't able to get the custom one off front tire compounds that the front guys were using.

15. No one except the 2011 motogp world champion, that's all.
    Posted via PNW Riders Mobile

16. That pic is awesome. And I'll agree, he rode it like he stole it sunday.

17. LSeca

The pic is awesome, but any rider on the Motogp grid can do the same with ease. Stoner is probably the fastest rider, but I still think he has to win from the front. JL and Rossi still have better race craft imo. No problem this year though as I think he will get most of the poles anyway.

Last Sunday he was good, but sheer domination will come at his home track (Phillips Island). When he won last year, on the Duc no less, second place was 8 seconds back and third was plus 17. On the Honda this year it will be a slaughter.

18. As I understand it though, if you're sliding, you're not able to use the driving force to speed your exit through the corner. I understand if it is a method for scrubbing off speed into a corner, but that would then also set you up incorrectly to get the best drive out. So is Stoner a good rider because he can control that bike? Or is he a good rider because he can go around corners faster than other riders?...

19. LSeca

They all go around corner's like that when it is required, Stoner is just faster in all areas of the track at the moment. Pedrosa roasted Stoner's ass on the same machine a few weeks ago, so he isn't a God...but pretty close to it.

Here is a great link I just found. Every rider at this level is very effective cornering like this. Even a pic of the lowly Bautista is seen sliding the Suzie around Sepang.

http://r6blog.com/the-fastest-way-through-the-corner-can-also-be-the-most-exciting/