F650GS No Power to the Gear

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by fbn, Oct 24, 2012.

1. fbn

fbn

Howdy,

My BMW F650GS seems to have some sort of problem between the engine and the gearbox (read: clutch?). Gearbox shifts smoothly. I was just rolling down a hill doing some engine braking when it went.

The engine runs perfectly, but when I put it in gear, no power is sent to the wheel. Nada. I can switch it into any gear when it's on, so I don't think its a gearbox issue. I had the bike in 1st and was rolling it backwards. Neat! The guy who helped me get the bike home thinks it's a clutch issue.

Any thoughts? I really hope it's just a clutch problem.

2. fbn

fbn

Some research says that the little sprocket is loose, but I didn't have the right Torx (damn German engineers) bit to get the cover open.

Thoughts?

3. Grantizzle

Grantizzle Moderator
    Staff Member

maybe go get the right tool?

that would be the easiest way to tell if your sprocket is loose.

4. Apex

Hydraulic or cable clutch?

5. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Harbor freight is my friend. They could be yours too!
    Just replace the damned torx heads with something you like.
    Like the 8mm hex heads that come on Honda's and Suzuki's!
    (just be sure to double check the thread pitch)!
    Damn U-boat drivers!

6. fbn

fbn

Alright, I stopped by Harbor Freight a third time and finally got the bit I needed. My tool collection is growing splendidly!

Anyways,

[​IMG]

Does something look wrong to you here? Frickin' spring washer and nut fell off (!) and the sprocket worked it's way off the shaft. End result: Lots of sound, no go.

I pulled the chain off and inspected the sprocket and splines--doesn't look like there is any damage. Hooray!

I called Ridewest and they have the parts in stock, so I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow and get the sucker back together.

7. shelbyguy

shelbyguy Picture Whore

you should take better care of your chain.

8. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

+1
    That chain needs cleaned, Lubed (every 500 miles or less) and adjusted.
    (follow your owners manual)
    If the chain fails, it can cause engine case damage. That can be crazy expensive if not fatal to your bikes engine. It can also be fatal to you if your in heavy traffic at speed.

9. quickwilly

I Ride:
    2009 Connie/2000 ZX12-R
    Is it me, or are those threads stripped/galled on the output shaft???

10. fbn

fbn

Got stuck in some rain so it got rusty apparently. I've been carefully lubing it though. Gonna grab my brush and kerosene and give it a cleaning!

11. fbn, you SHOULD have an itty bitty Torx in the tool kit that will fit all them miserable screws. They shaped it to look like an Allen wrench.

Weird how that just came apart. I check mine every couple hundred miles, and its never even been loose.

And if you're not into scrubbing the chain clean eery few hundred miles, instead of 'normal' chain lube, try using DuPonts Teflon Spray Lube.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-saver/

Been using the blue stuff for a couple years now, and it works great and picks up about 80% less crap than the greasy lube does.

#11 DeeG, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012