Fighterama's Guide to WA Speeding Tickets

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Fighterama, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Fighterama

Fighterama
    Expand Collapse

Okay, theres been a ton of half assed right and wrong. Heres the truth:

Ticket must be filed in 72 hrs:
    http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rule...district&set=disspo&ruleid=districtdisspo42.2

Timely response by driver:
    http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rule...district&set=disspo&ruleid=districtdisspo42.4

Failure to respond:
    http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rule...district&set=disspo&ruleid=districtdisspo42.5

Mitigation hearing rules:
    http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rule...district&set=disspo&ruleid=districtdisspo43.4

SMD calibration proof (does not require the certifier to testify, only requires documentation, Ive done this) :
    http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rule...district&set=disspo&ruleid=districtdisspo46.6

Discovery (looking for loopholes):
    http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rule...district&set=disspo&ruleid=districtdisspo34.7

Contested hearings <this is what you need to do>:
    http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rules/?fa=court_rules.display&group=clj&set=IRLJ&ruleid=cljirlj3.1

The entire court rules process:
    http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rules/?fa=court_rules.list&group=clj&set=IRLJ

I was kinda hoping someone would get off their ass and do a little research but I guess its up to me. Read it CAREFULLY, its all in there, no bullshit, no "my cousin was in court once", the actual rules.

Beans, if you want me to write up a better version for a sticky, lemme know.

E

2. Dvus

Dvus
    Expand Collapse

Here's a good way to avoid some speeding tickets www.valentine1.com :mrgreen:
    Or pony up and get a lawyer to do the dirty work for you.

3. clinty poo

clinty poo
    Expand Collapse
    vrrooom636

I just paid 2 grand for my attorney today :cry: Didnt even do anything that bad and it wasn't on purpose... Oh well as long as it gets dropped... Just sucks to pay 2 grand for an attorney!!!!

4. Dvus

Dvus
    Expand Collapse

$2k
    What the hell were you charged with? Reckless Driving?

5. clinty poo

clinty poo
    Expand Collapse
    vrrooom636

YUP!!!!! Exactly A BUNCH OF BULL SHIT TOO

6. Dvus

Dvus
    Expand Collapse

did you go to jail?

7. clinty poo

clinty poo
    Expand Collapse
    vrrooom636

Nope cop never saw it

8. beansbaxter

beansbaxter
    Expand Collapse
    PNW Admin
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    ZX-10R
    Wow, that is still way too much. Reckless driving should cost around $1500 for the best attorney in the world if he has to goto court. To keep it out of court, he should have only charged you around $500.

2k seems too high to me, but I'm no lawyer.

9. clinty poo

clinty poo
    Expand Collapse
    vrrooom636

That was the retainer....

10. snake

snake
    Expand Collapse
    Paralized with excitement

Thanks for the links. Did you happen to verify how many tickets until a suspended.

11. Kris

Kris
    Expand Collapse
    Italian Stallion

i've paid up the ass for one before, your going to watch what they do and shoot yourself when their finished because it was so simple and dumb. the only thing is that they may have a relationship with the prosecuter or whatever and may be better at smooth talking them. lawyers are almost as bad as the cops. or the system i should say, greedy mo fo's.

12. clinty poo

clinty poo
    Expand Collapse
    vrrooom636

Yea I dont know.. I just hafta get out of this Reckless ticket, I'm only 17, so I figured it was better to make sure.. In the long run the attorney is a lot less than the ticket..

13. Kris

Kris
    Expand Collapse
    Italian Stallion

i paid 800 for my reckless and only got it moved to a neg in the second degree. i'm warning you about those lawyers. my previous record was already not so good but still no dui's or wrecks before that one and i still got kinda shafted.

14. clinty poo

clinty poo
    Expand Collapse
    vrrooom636

What did you do to get your reckless???

15. Kris

Kris
    Expand Collapse
    Italian Stallion

i was being stupid on division, this guy was riding my ass for a ways trying to get me to race and well, it worked, i went flyin down probably doing around 50-60 and the cop whipped out of nowhere and pulled me over. there was no radar/laser or pacing so i can't belive the lawyer didn't push for it on those grounds but at least it wasn't a criminal offense anymore. driving records my be different and i'm sure you talked to your lawyer about it but the criminal charge might go off your criminal record when you tun 18. not sure how that works. sorry to hear about it. he almost took me to jail. did he search u? he did me and my car and made the cuffs real nice n tight. 60 in a 30 is what i got, one mile under and it wouldn't have been wreckless. to bad, live n learn. let us know what happens.

16. clinty poo

clinty poo
    Expand Collapse
    vrrooom636

Nah he didnt search me or anything, I was in Lincoln county..Accidental Wheelie...same thing happened to another member of this board when he switched back to his 600 one day.. Cant member who it was though. Cop didnt see anything, a guy saw it and I guess reported it. Pretty much scared me when the tire lifted so I sat it back down pretty hard.. continued to ride for about 5 minutes.. The guy steps infront of my bike and tells me to wait for the cop to get there because I was riding wheelies and shifted through 4 gears... I was not riding wheelies, I shifted from first to second to first.. and I never went over 28 mph indicated.. figuire 10% error that puts me right at the posted of 25... Cop said he could take me to jail.. tried to get me to admit and all I said was it was an accident.. Reckless is Willful or wanton disregard for public safety.. it was neither willful or wanton therefore it shouldn't be reckless driving.. I was scared shitless and have definitely already learned my lesson, if I'm going to stunt.. I'm doing it in a safe legal environment. I'm gonna get a bike, ride the street for a few to get used to it, then hit the track so I dont get anymore reckless drivings:)..

17. Kris

Kris
    Expand Collapse
    Italian Stallion

if the cop didn't see it himself this seems like it should be an easy ticket for u and your lawyer to get taken care of. but it does seem like a lot of money to pay the guy. also seems like the wrong officer responded to the call.

18. clinty poo

clinty poo
    Expand Collapse
    vrrooom636

yea it does suck, but I need to get out of it.. It could prevent me from getting my bike and I dont want that :clap

19. Dvus

Dvus
    Expand Collapse

What BS I certainly wouldn't have waited for the cops. What an ass wipe whoever called it in.

I got mine for doing 90+ in a 55. It was on my R6. The cop said he was pacing me at 90 and I was still pulling away. It was 10PM a few years ago in May. He and 3 other cops pulled me over. The dude was calm, but they were all excited. Thinking I was going to run (on I5 please). So he arrested me, but didn't take me to jail. He let me go on my own cognizance. I hired my dumb ass lawyer for 1000 bucks and manage to get it reduced to reckless endangerment. Woo! What that means I don't get to lose my license. 2 years probation and traffic school.

20. clinty poo

clinty poo
    Expand Collapse
    vrrooom636

Yea I shouldn't have waited but I didnt think I had done anything wrong.. so I was puzzled.. oh well