first wheelie attempts

Discussion in 'Olympia' started by rodeo, May 5, 2012.

1. rodeo

I finally got the guts and seriously tried getting the front up in 1st gear today. Using the tips from Phil/others I think I managed something!

First try, on the throttle in 1st (not wide open, just increasing) , slip clutch in keep opening throttle, clutch out! more throttle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlD_ucIK3P0

I ran out of gear pretty quick and hit the rev limiter a few times, but it seemed to work. Tips/hints for my next steps? woo!

2. Grantizzle

Grantizzle Moderator
    Staff Member

woot! try scooting back on the seat and bouncing the forks.

3. BusaDave

I Ride:
    2015 CBR1000RR Repsol SP
    Grant does a great 12 o'clock wheelie but then he falls down. I have pics as proof.

Real Fast Travis likes this.
  4. Nice! Cover that rear brake.

5. Grantizzle

Grantizzle Moderator
    Staff Member

do you have pics of the wheelie, not the aftermath?

6. That was pretty epic
    Posted via PNW Riders Mobile

7. Good job! Looks fun. You beat me to the first wheelie and I've been riding for 5 years now. I'm sorta a pussy when I ride though, or so I've been told. :)

8. Try not to lean forward so much, You add weight to the front end which prevents it from coming up. Just sit nice and stright, Cover the rear brake and pop the clutch and a comfortable RPM. Youll find it comes up alot better. Once you get comfortable with that, Try leaning back a little and poping the clutch. Good luck and be safe!

9. then jump on your 600 and power wheelie 2nd gear over a hill crest @ 70 mph

No but seriously, I want a wr250x but no one is selling them used yet

#9 canyon63, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  10. shelbyguy

shelbyguy Picture Whore

as you apply throttle, give her a little tug

11. Call 911 first cause it will probably be a "Ya'll watch this......" moment:stir:

12. rodeo

As long as the camera is rolling!

13. mfrankpdx

mfrankpdx Retired

The WR250X is a very good bike for learning wheelies. What I do is shift into 2nd at about 10mph, whack the throttle wide open, then slip the clutch. I wouldn't recommend clutching up in 1st, that's how I looped mine :mrgreen:

14. rodeo

I will try 2nd gear next time! Also on the list; sitting farther back, covering rear brake, and a slight tug (of the bars).

On a somewhat side note; on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst), how bad is it that I'm hitting the rev limiter like I did in the video? I'm running +6 teeth on the back, so the gears a really short and it's awfully easy to hit it in 1st.

15. Cropduster

Cropduster jimd2p aka Dweezlebutt

Nice. I'm still trying to learn to wheelie mine.

16. That bike looks like a lot of fun! You'll get them down in no time with that thing!

17. rev limit means you are starting the wheelie too late. also 1st gear sucks because it is super twitchy. what really slowed my learning was if i popped up the front but it didnt get to the BP i would try to ride it out. if you cant get the front all the way to BP just abort, otherwise you get into a habit of shitty wheelies. you really need to scare yourself to improve!

18. Grantizzle

Grantizzle Moderator
    Staff Member

it also helps to use someone else's bike.

19. Out of curiosity....why?