close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Forest Service Roads open

Discussion in 'Wenatchee' started by Guy M, May 15, 2008.

1. Guy M

Guy M (Washington) City

Warm weather has opened up the USFS roads. Nice... Really nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Very cool but I thought we had an unusally cold/snowy spring?

I'm interested to know where that road is? Could you map it?

3. Guy M

Guy M (Washington) City

Not sure how to map it. Photos were taken west of Wenatchee, at the top of Number Two Canyon Road - which turns into a dirt road up above Mission Creek. Just this afternoon. There is some snow left at the Mission Ridge ski area, and a lot of the north facing slopes still have snow, particularly in the shady areas. I think much of it will rapidly melt away given the temps predicted for this weekend.

It's a pretty darned easy road, my Scrambler and I didn't have any trouble. Heck of a lot tougher getting up there on my mountain bike! :mrgreen:

Regards, Guy

4. Looks like your having a heck of a lot of fun on that Scrambler. Now that I'm back from Hawaii I'll be looking for a chance to get into the hills.
    Breeze

5. I'd heard that the top of #2 Canyon Road was off limits to motorized vehicles? I found that area one day messing around on my gixxer and figured I'd check it out on my CRF450 but was told it was off limits to motorized vehicles.

Is that not true?

6. Guy M

Guy M (Washington) City

There's a gated area that's okay for hikers. There's another route that is well traveled by motorized vehicles - not a problem. I've been going there for years.

Also enjoy the "no vehicles" area afoot.

Regards, Guy

7. There are 3 gates at the top of #2 Canyon. The first one used to be closed seasonly but we could ride around it on dirt bikes. A Forest Ranger told me it was OK. The 2nd gate blocks a side road up to Twin Peaks and is always closed and off limits to motorized traffic. The 3rd gate is the newest and since the Fall of 2006 has been closed from Oct. 1 through May 15. The sign says no motorized traffic during the closure. This is a terrible development as the best trail riding is in October and early November. Now Wenatchee people have to go through Cashmere or Beehive to get to the trails up Mission Creek. I can't imagine why keeping it open another month in the Fall would hurt a thing. :rant
    ~Breeze

8. Well that's better than I thought. I have been trucking my dirtbike out to Cashmere to access Devil's Gulch, but if I can access Devil's Gulch from #2 Canyon, I would be in heaven.

9. Ok guys here is a bit of info for you all. Yes there are three gates up the #2 canyon rd.
    YOU MUST BE STREET LEGAL ON THIS ROAD ANYWHERE. Yes the first gate is open IT WILL BE OPEN NOW FOREVER as there is private property up past the second gate and just before the third one. There is a A-frame cabin on the left that is privately owned by a some friends of mine and they want access 12 months a year and snowmobile into the cabin in the winter time so the lower gate will always stay open. The second gate will stay closed up to twin peaks as it is private property and the owner wants no Motorized vehicles on the property. Yes the third gate is closed for certain times of the year and the reason for this is that some of the young kids go up when the weather gets wet and start tearing up the road with 4x4's and make HUGE ruts and then the water starts washing out the road.

Yes you can go up #2 canyon and access mission creek, Devil's gulch, Beehive resevoir, and roads to other places.....but ya gotta find em. I get kinda lucky though, I know the private property owner that has access to the road even after the gate is locked and by access I mean you can access those roads from private property and not even have to go as far as the gate!!