fuel smell in oil

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by andrew23ala, Oct 13, 2012.

1. just learned to ride just got first bike '00 cbr929rr and fuel is getting into the oil pan. the dealership answer is alway piston rings on these kind of things when it comes to car so they can milk the most money out of you, the you tube answer is a blown diaphragm in fuel pressure regulator. changed oil just yesterday to get a baseline to see how bad the problem is but was wondering if anyone out there could come up with any more sources of the problem that i could try and eliminate if it is not the fpr? thx.

2. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Does your bike have a petcock?
    Is fuel getting past the petcock and into the engine?
    Does the petcock have an OFF position?
    Are the viton needle tips worn in the carbs? Worn needles and seats will allow fuel past and in
    to the crank case.

#2 james1300, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  3. Did you put the bike on the kickstand in the front yard when it rained and the bike fell over and now you have way too much oil in the sight Window that is really thin and smell just like oily gasoline?

Don't ask.

4. KevinD

KevinD Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    It's fuel injected, James...

You're funny, FFF!

KevinD

5. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

A "little" fuel smell in your oil is nothing to worry about. Have you done an oil analysis or are there any other worrying symptoms?

6. Luckyadam12

Luckyadam12 Honda Rider

We just changed the oil in it yesterday. Seems to ride good. Couple tweeks here and there, but great bike! Not sure if there was anything new today.

7. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    Run some seafoam through it. Might be a sticky injector bleeding down after you shut it off. Follow the directions on the bottle. Should be about 1/3 bottle per tank on average. Cheap test.

8. idle rough prior to oil change and some times killed itself right as i was going into neutral to park it with the FI? light coming on and red light come has happened once since oil change, and rpm is around 1000<x>800 when it does this, idle fine if it stays above 1250 and bounce alot if it stays between 1200-1000 while idleing

9. RedVFR

RedVFR Fast, Easy, and Old Fashioned

Sounds like it may be running somewhat rich. I also vote for Seafoam in a full tank of gas, as RedKat600 said. It very well could be a fuel injector leaking down. Seafoam is a fantastic product and if nothing else, you'll have given your fuel system a good cleaning. Also, as you said in your original post, it could be the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm that has ruptured. E10 fuel is tough on these parts in the long run, and it's easy to check. Just get access to the regulator and pull the vacuum line off. if you can see or smell fuel in that line, you need to replace the regulator.

If both of those are eliminated as the cause of the extra enrichment, diagnosis becomes a little more in-depth and technical.

10. KevinD

KevinD Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    New fuel & air filters, if not already replaced, would certainly help improve runability.

KevinD

11. checked fpr and no leakage past diaphragm. checked oil and smell has significantly depleeted starting to idle a little better after it gets warmed up.

12. Not a solution to your problem but get that old oil outta there now! My TLS Suzuki had that smelly oil problem and of course the dealer looked at me like I was crazy. The bike got a service at the dealer and roughly 300 miles later it ate a main bearing. Just out of the warranty period and neither Suzuki or the dealer were willing to help.

No matter if your problem is solved or not, either don't ride the bike or change the oil and filter!!

13. colby

checkout some used oil analyses http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru ms/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=49&page=1 Fuel dilution is really common on motorcycles. Caused by stock mapping being too rich usually and a other handful of reasons. Not really a problem, just means your oil will thin out and have to change it more often. Edit: never mind just looked threw some uoas and fuel dilution isn't as widespread of a problem as i thought it was shearing from shared sumps on the other hand is

#13 colby, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  14. wheelie it more :)

awesome bike BTW. if you ever get a newer one you will miss the 929 like i do.