close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Get out your credit cards kids! Photo radar on I-5

Discussion in 'Portland Region' started by bensgone, Apr 11, 2013.

1. A week ago a trailer sign was placed along I-5 north of chehalis that read "starting. 4/9 photo radar enforcement" so yeasterday I come blasting through there and the traffic advisory recording confirms this. Construction zones are now photo enforced? If so, that would be 24/7 even during hours or days of no activity.
    Be aware, the man is watching!

2. They're not men. They're Cylons! :x

3. Chehalis, Washington right? ...so how does this matter to Oregon?

4. Don't get your panties in a wad. They're only snapping your pic if you are going 11 mph over the limit, and that's in the construction zone. Fines are already double in construction zones, so if you're speeding through one you have accepted the risk and should be willing to pay up if you get caught.

5. It's not as bad as it sounds. I checked it out at the link below. To summarize, here's a quick quote that really gives you the gist.
    "A small sport utility vehicle parked near the highway will monitor speeds in both directions and a camera will capture the rear license plates of speeding vehicles. Drivers caught speeding by automated enforcement in the work zone could face a $137 citation.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/2013/03/workzone_speed_enforcement_centralia.htm

6. HAHAHA i got one of those on the truck, its saved me a few times

7. These photo radars are on all the time, so any radar detector will warn you.

8. What ever happened to "you have a right to face your accuser" or presumption of innocence?
    with these photo radar tickets its an automatic fine "pay up sucker" your guilty until you prove your innocent<--backwards thinking...

How do you question a camera that's being monitored in another state???

These camera's have muddied up the law. By that I mean that laws are supposed to be for protection or to help people, they are supposed to hopefully modify behavior; they aren't supposed to be a cash cow for the state and a private company...

Me,
    I hate them :rant just my .02c

9. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Thanks! Headed over there soon. (I don't speed)! No Really! Honest!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  10. What does it matter? Just don't want any of our pnw family to get bit. Tire money is for new tires not paying tickets. I am thru there twice a week and can see how easy it would be to be moving with a pack of traffic and get nailed.

As to facing your accuser, when I went by today it didn't appear to be occupied.

It's a light color explorer with amber wig wags and lots of reflecto tape. I have only seen it on the south bound side. I only know which one it is thanks to Jeffw, i thought it was a site inspectors rig.

11. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

FYI, it doesn't have to be occupied. It's all automated. They just park it there.

12. It is also a non moving violation. Ticket goes to registered owner. You can take it to court and tell them (under oath) you were not the one driving and it will be dismissed.
    Same thing is true for red light cameras.

13. In oregon they had to have a leo in the photo rig to make the ticket stand in court but not sure if that has changed. Last one I saw in beaverton was occupied but that was city so who knows.

If the wa. One is not occupied and takes a rear of vehicle pic it shouldn't be hard to beat.

Its actually in the centralia bridge construction site not chehalis.

I can't have a radar detector in the truck cuz that's a big fine also. Goes back to the 80's when they first became popular/cheap. I get paid by the hour so no to mash my motor.

14. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

If I heard the announcement on 530 AM properly, they clearly stated unoccupied.

15. Ok, i couldn't hear the audio because of the onboard computer ruins the reception. I wonder if this will be something we see being used statewide.

16. lol i had one of those go off on me once..... never got a ticket .... guess you cant ticket a car doing 80+ when there are 17 other cars in the pic lol

holypiston likes this.
  17. There's a lil more to it than that...signed affidavit, stating who was driving and all of their info.

I do hope ppl will fight this stuff though.

18. State (federal? ) law you do not have to state who was driving. I would not do this because i would not feel right breaking oath.

Sent from my DROID RAZR