Got a new after work project... 89 Honda HURRICANE (CBR 600)

Discussion in 'Projects' started by jnicola, Apr 11, 2010.

1. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

Check out what I dug up! One of my girlfriends homies out here bought it years ago, it wouldn't start once, and he just abandoned it in his friends garage. He was quite over it, and offered it to me for dirt cheap!

It currently has aftermarket platics on it that are shit. All the tabs for attaching them together are snapped off. It does come with the stock plastics, however it's obvious that some one crashed them, then just put some PVC cement in the scratches, didn't sand it down, and rattle canned over the whole thing. Holy lame!

So yeah, here's to hoping I can fix it up and get it running so I got something to run out to burning man with the rest of you yahoos!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gixxerjeff

gixxerjeff emw2k9 beer pong champions

is that purple or lavender?

3. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

My girlfriend thinks it's more lavendar than purple. Eithe way, I'm not feeling it!

4. wholly nice and 80's sheik lol so what collor you going to do ? tie dye would be what i think of . so how much did you get it for?

5. sweet colour combo. my first mechanic had an old hurricane 1000. that thing was the shit.

6. Aprilia

Aprilia Sweep Crusader

I know where you can find lots of parts for those... might even have a set of plastics laying around, too, Jesse.

COOL project, my friend! :)

7. Aprilia

Aprilia Sweep Crusader

(me, either... LOL)

8. Oh please say youll keep the paint job!!! Just clear coat! :)

9. You should rock the bike as is, you'll look faaaaabulous!

10. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

I'll keep it as is if you doucherino's pay for the clear coat!

RedVFR likes this.
  11. Aprilia

Aprilia Sweep Crusader

Just use 'shellac'...

12. Looks like a poor attempt at recreating the Smokin' Joes race bikes

[​IMG]

I had an '89 600 Hurricane back in tha day, those things are indestructible and god knows I tried.

13. ok go to a nail salon and get the clear coat there and do it your self it will look awsoooooooooooooooooom .. or tye dye ,,, ether way its burning man lol tye dye is appropriate.

14. you cant ride that unless your wearing a members only jacket!

15. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

Haters!

Ran into my first issue: Seized screws holding airbox to carbs. What a pain in the ass! I'll need some help removing them, anyone get any ideas or want to help?

From there, clean the carbs, put in new spark plugs and wires (where do I buy those?) and then drop a new battery and new fuel in and hope it starts. The owner stated last time it ran it wouldn't start at a friend house, and it would just turn over and not go. He also mentioned an issue with the spark plug CABLES coming loose.

More on that later, I can't access the spark plugs particularly well with this damn airbox in the way!

16. PB Blaster? WD-40?

Hacksaw and some strong words might convince it otherwise if you feel like brute forcing it.

17. lena

lena Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    Monsters
    Moved from Portland to Projects.

18. God Damn It!, I really love the old 80's Hondas.

Have fun with that one!

Keep us posted!

19. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

I'm pretty sure those screws are beyond really. Even in that situation it'll just leave me a problem elsewhere down the line. I'll keep researching my options though!

It occured to me repainting it may be a bitch. With new tires, all projected repairs to make it tolerable, and registration this bike will run me $800 or more. I can't imagine painting costs...

20. I picked this up for $500 I cleaned her up and rattle canned it, rode it for a year. It was really fun and I'd do it again.
    [​IMG]