close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSXR Clutch Help Needed

Discussion in 'Bellingham' started by RideMotto, Dec 14, 2011.

1. My clutch won't fully disengage. It barely disengages just enough to be able to push the bike in 1st gear. I tried bleeding the clutch line thinking it might be air in the line, and no bubbles came out and the problem persists.
    I did just wash the bike in very cold weather ~ 40 degrees. There were no problems when I put the bike back in the garage, but a few days later and now the clutch won't disengage.
    Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2008 GSXR 1000.

2. Check/ tighten ur clutch cable?

3. Its hydraulic, doesn't that mean there is no cable? I can't find anything about a cable in my service manual.

4. have you ever replaced the fluid?
    flush the line..........

5. My bad I don't know gsxr very well. Wasn't sure if it had a cable or hydraulic one or not just a idea. Good luck bro

6. I've done a few bleed jobs. (My truck with upside-down Cadillac Deville calipers in the rear was the hardest one to get right).

This is for brakes, but the same principle would apply to hydraulic clutches...
    The biggest key is getting all the air out which you've mentioned. Often I've had to take the caliper off the bike, put an old disk or similar spacer in the pads and then hold the caliper up so that the bleed screw is the highest point.
    Pump the handle and crack the bleeder just a bit. Then tighten bleeder, let out handle, then pump again, crack bleeder, and repeat process. Follow the course of the bubbles. Air rises but if you have a crossover tube between calipers, the air likes to sit up there and doesn't come out without removing at least one caliper and doing the above process.

As for clutches, Jose would definitely know the tricks on them...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  7. Dude, you know I'm always here to help!? I'm almost affended you didn't call. While the solution to your problem is most certainly 12, it would help to know what the problem is. More information is a must.

Lets start with a few diagonsic questions...

1) What oil exactly are you using?

2) What color is your clutch fluid?

3) When was the last time you changed your oil?

4) How many mile are on your bike?

That is all for now.

8. Good to hear from you. Don't be offended, I just didn't want to hassle you with all my problems but I did think about calling you. I'm taking it to SPS tomorrow on a Uhaul. I hope to see you there.

1) What oil exactly are you using?
    Its a glycol based dot 4 brake fluid. I replaced it with a glycol based dot 3 and 4 brake fluid when I bled the system, but I didn't completely change the fluid.

2) What color is your clutch fluid?
    Its a golden amber color.

3) When was the last time you changed your oil?
    It was last changed at 7.5K miles.

4) How many mile are on your bike?
    Currently there are 8200 miles on it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  9. Took the bike down to SPS and they figured it out. The clutch plates were just stuck together. Broke it free and I was back on the road within minutes. It didn't cost me a thing. Thanks to Jose and SPS.

10. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Its a glycol based dot 4 brake fluid. I replaced it with a glycol based dot 3 and 4 brake fluid when I bled the system, but I didn't completely change the fluid.

What does the bike use? 3 or 4? Stick with what is called for. Not what you think it needs. Follow your owners manual.

11. It calls for dot 4. That is what I replaced it with.

12. So, the burning question... what made the clutch plates stick?