Headphones...don't throw tomatoes yet!

Discussion in 'Portland Region' started by cassandraj, May 26, 2012.

1. So I searched the forum and read a few threads about headphone recommendations but that's not my exact question. I also Googled and can't find a definitive answer.

The WA RCW says we can wear built in headphones or "approved" headphones. What qualifies as an approved headphone set?

2. Dunno, I only wear earplugs. But I'd bet that the only "approved" ones are the ones the po-leece don't know about.

3. There are many types of headphones for helmets, what are you trying to connect too?

4. I wear earbuds all the time. One days I'll get around to installing some studio headphone speakers in my helmet. There's room. For now, earbuds it is.
    I didn't re-read the rcw, but I believe it says handsfree telephone devices are kosher. As long as your headphones have a mic and answer button on them You shouldn't get a citation. That's my strategy if I ever get contacted for it anyway.

5. Bluuu

Bluuu Señor verde

I Ride:
    a motorcycle
    You're exhaust is all the music you'll ever need. Seriously.

6. Texasl

Texasl Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, 1988 H-D (Project) Electra-Glide
    +1 on that. (How was the sailing?)

7. Bluuu

Bluuu Señor verde

I Ride:
    a motorcycle
    Good so far. Sitting in the marina drinking beer now. This morning I scrubbed the deck from the bow to the dodger. Thank gawd the girls wanted the power back, so i had to stop scrubbing and start drinking beer.

Now I can't decide between a shower or another beer and a sammich... hmmm.

Life's tough out here man!

8. *tomatoes en route* :mrgreen:
    Unless you are one of those rare people who find it difficult to concentrate with extra sound (like you can't remember what you just read without the tv going in the background) IMO you should get some more miles under your belt before you add distractions and remove one of your sensory inputs.

As you are learning to ride, there is lots of info you can get through listening. Your engine pitch and volume will go up and down, may thrum, purr or stutter, your clutch may click clunk or grind, and heaven forbid your brakes may howl. And who knows what your individual bike will be trying to tell you about when she's cold vs warm? You may pick all this up as vibrations through your legs hands and tummy, but your ears are a big help too :secret:

9. Seriously?
    Showerbeer.
    Duh!

10. Bluuu

Bluuu Señor verde

I Ride:
    a motorcycle
    [​IMG]

11. #12 Ryel, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  12. I'm not shopping. I don't plan to wear headphones for a long time. I just wondered, more specifically, what the law meant by approved headphones.

I would probably bluetooth. but that's not any time soon. just looking for verbiage clarification. I'm thinking tromatic had it. ^up there

13. Texasl

Texasl Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    Pobrecito :roll: Life must be a stone cold bitch some days.

14. Bluuu

Bluuu Señor verde

I Ride:
    a motorcycle
    Dude, I'm telling you. It's fuckin hard being me. Reeeeeeeeeaaaaaly fuckin hard!

15. Texasl

Texasl Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    Put the women on the line. I'll make sure that they appreciate your greatness and treat you accordingly. :devil:

16. oh 8)
    hey did you ever find good pants? I have some kevlar jeans you can try on if you want? ordered online and too big - prob size 12 or 14 :ninja:

17. Clearly my invite got lost in the post...

18. Bluuu

Bluuu Señor verde

I Ride:
    a motorcycle
    Seriously? That's messed up.

Tell ya what...

Get your sleeping bag, toothbrush, and beer money together for next weekend. Let's go to Blake island and get drunk, eat steak, and sleep it off in the marina.

Dude, they're women. You can't talk sense to'em. Ya just nod "yes" and open another beer.

#19 Bluuu, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  19. dscott3509

dscott3509 Parts Collector

Warning: Ignorant reply ahead. :scared

My understanding from various posts is you can have one earbud in Washington, but not two. So, one earbud and one earplug is permissible. While in Oregon, you can have two earbuds in.

If you get pulled over, let me know what they say. 8)

Personally, I found earbuds with music great for the first few months. I helped me focus. After a few months, I find the music annoying. I like to just put in the earplugs and go without music.

Multitask. There's a reason they made these:
    [​IMG]