Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'New Users' started by fishrscary, Jun 26, 2012.

1. fishrscary

fishrscary
    Expand Collapse

Hi Everyone,

I relatively new to WA, and I live in the Lakewood area. I'm looking for people with sport or sport touring bikes to ride with. I also belong to South Sound Riders (SSR) and Biker Sisters. I was referred by Apex, since both my other groups basically ride cruisers only - but the people are SUPER nice. I'm most interested in improving my technical riding skills and of course, meeting people to ride with! I would love to eventually turn my 250 in a race bike, but that will a long time from now, since I haven't yet ridden track.

I got my license in 2007 (same with my first bike, a 2007 Ninja 250 - liked it so much that when the new body style came out, I bought a second one). However, I've been around bikes almost all my life - but as the passenger. My first husband always had a bike and when I got a divorce in 2007, I decided that I was going to be the "driver" now and went out and bought a bike and got my license. I'm currently married and my husband rides too (he just got his license in March, so we're saving up to get him a bike). My husband is in the military, so we move around a lot, but hopefully we will be here for the next five years. I'm originally from CA, born and raised in Southern Cal, then moved to NorCal - the riding was GREAT there.

So I'm not too used to all the rain and cold weather here yet. But I finally have rain gear now - yay!

Anyway, nice to meet everyone and I hope to go riding with you soon!

- Fishrscary

P.S. I know I need a pic of me on my bike, but the only I have makes me look like a marshmallow from wearing so many layers (definitely not my best pic for sure LOL) - it was taken during International Female Ride Day, and it was soooo cold. It even hailed on us at one point. That was interesting though. That was the first time I had ridden with a large group.

2. Phlebmaster

Phlebmaster
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    I like marshmallows......

Welcome to the forum!!

3. Tombraider2

Tombraider2
    Expand Collapse

Welcome, South end Lakewood. OK we have a Lakewood up North as well. Be safe.

4. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn
    Expand Collapse
    1. Twins FTW!

I Ride:
    Mo Ped
    HI Welcome from Tacoma,

5. RideMotto

RideMotto
    Expand Collapse

Welcome. Glad to hear you're moving up to the driver's seat.

6. fishrscary

fishrscary
    Expand Collapse

Wow - thanks for the warm welcome!

Normally, I'm down to ride whenever I can. I had let my bike sit too long when I first moved here, since I wasn't used to the weather at all. But I'm good now, got a battery heated base layer and everything. And I plan to put heated grips on in the near future - I want them on before it gets super cold again... I'd love to get heated gear, but I don't have much to work with as far as the stock stator, and I really don't want to pay for a bigger one. I have a GPS already hardwired to the battery, and I don't know what the power draw of it is. So... I'll just keep looking like a marshmallow. Actually, it should be better, cuz the heated base layer works well. I just have to carry a spare charged battery pack if it's going to be a long ride.

I was actually going to go with you guys to Mt. Rainier last Sat, but it got canceled.

Bad news: I laid my bike down late Friday afternoon/evening and my insurance is sending me to SIK Werks. They're behind, and it'll take two to three weeks to get my bike back. I only have a $100 deductible, so I figured I'd get it fix and have them check out if anything is wrong mechanically.

I do plan to very active in PNW Riders once I get my bike back though.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

- fishrscary (Peggy)

7. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse

Welcome :mfclap: So cool that you have moved up to the one in control hehe :mrgreen:

Check out the PNW Angles forum... there are a lot of us who ride up here ;)

I to am from SoCal and you will get used to riding/racing in the rain :evil4: and as far as turning your 250 into a track bike Dooooo Eeeeeeet :mfclap:

8. fishrscary

fishrscary
    Expand Collapse

I don't like marshmallows so much. It's hard to ride with THAT many layers - I had to keep pulling my pants up just be able to throw my leg over the bike (I think I may have had the racing cowl on during IFD). I just added my bike as an avatar, but I was wondering how you put it in the body of the message. My flickr link doesn't work when I press the "insert image" button.

Do you know how to do it and if so, can you help me? I totally suck at these types of forums. Facebook, LinkedIn, Meetup, etc. They make everything really easy. And under your name, it says licensed. I see other people with various words there. Can you change it, or is it dependent on how much you post...?

I also have NO idea what Trackback is... I feel like a :tard:

9. nsrg500

nsrg500
    Expand Collapse

Welcome.:thefinge: I too am a So Cal transplant. That's was long enough ago to used to the idea that I hate rain and cold. Born in Torrence and lived all over So Central.8) Was a lane splitter at 16 on a LTD550.
    Pics?, I use Photobucket. There is a sticky here that will walk you through it. Super easy, even for me a total computer a stupid.:tard:

Have fun. It's a great site.

10. Apex

Apex
    Expand Collapse

Hey, stranger ;).

11. fishrscary

fishrscary
    Expand Collapse

Ha ha. You got me all addicted to this PNWR forum!! Nah, it's a good thing. People have been very helpful. I'm really glad I joined. And thanks for telling me about it. Even though I was already a "sometimes" lurker.

12. Avboden

Avboden
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    1991 XR250L, 2007 BMW F800S, 1999 ATK 605 ESDS/SM
    Welcome!!

you had me until "husband"

I kid I kid,

Sorry to hear about laying your bike down. Got some frame sliders? If not I bet you will now :)